Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Calgary Nations Cup

8th annual indoor Nations Cup starts tonight. This seems to gain more and more momentum each year. Essentially it's a mini World Cup (soccer) held every year.

There are 32 (!!) teams in the Open division this year, 16 in O35, and 6 in O45. For the first time ever, there is a women's division too!

If you enjoy good soccer and haven't witnessed this yet, it is pretty amazing. All the communities come out and support their heritage. Drums, chants, flags, horns, you name it. Typically the finals see about 2,000 people packed around the West field at the south Calgary soccer centre (Subway soccer centre). The atmosphere is unbelievable.

Guys like Will Akio, Victor Loturi have played in this tournament over the years, and there will be some current Foothills U23s in it as well.

After playing in the open division for the first 7 years of this tournament, I decided to "hang 'em up" and play for team Canada in O35 this year. We actually have 5-6 guys on our team that have played for Canada at various ages/competitions as well, and we'll be rocking some amazing vintage Canada kits.

Highly recommend attending if you enjoy soccer, have kids in the sport, and want some free entertainment. More info found here: http://cusa.ab.ca/content/indoor-nations-cup
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably catch a few games this year. I know almost all the women on the Croatia women's team.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 09:56 AM   #3
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went last night for the first round of Men's Open games, and it was pretty packed already. Zero parking spots by the time I left.

If you're only doing a night or two, I recommend going to the quarters/semis/finals, as there can be some inequities in quality in the preliminaries. Not a lot of quality representing the likes of Bangladesh, Nicaragua, etc. Of the 32 teams in Men's open, I'd say about 10 of them are good quality, 10-15 decent, and the remaining hot garbage.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I caught a few games last night after I finished reffing a few games. It was a lot of fun. Seeing all the "Nation" fans getting involved and cheering was great to see.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I caught a few games last night after I finished reffing a few games. It was a lot of fun. Seeing all the "Nation" fans getting involved and cheering was great to see.
Which games did you watch? I was playing for Canada (vs Ukraine). Ended up being a great game. They were a good side. 6-4 W for us in the end but they made us work.

I've played soccer my whole life in Calgary, and I only recognized 3 players on that team, so I assume a lot of them are from Ukraine fairly recently. We wore yellow and blue tape on our sleeves as a gesture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #6
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Which games did you watch? I was playing for Canada (vs Ukraine). Ended up being a great game. They were a good side. 6-4 W for us in the end but they made us work.

I've played soccer my whole life in Calgary, and I only recognized 3 players on that team, so I assume a lot of them are from Ukraine fairly recently. We wore yellow and blue tape on our sleeves as a gesture.
I might come watch you guys tomorrow night, chirp H for letting in 4. LOL
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 05:17 PM   #7
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Henger, or Hoff? We have two keepers. 'Twas Hoff last night haha.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

My son watched that game and he said it was great. I was reffing at the same time.

I watch the O45 Poland vs Nigeria. That is a good game until Nigeria took over.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 08:40 AM   #9
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was talking to some girls I know playing in Nations Cup, and Steph Labbe (longtime Canadian keeper) is playing for Canada in this tourney….but not in net haha. I asked how she was playing out and they replied “she’s ok. She’s got keepers feet”.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #10
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Henger, or Hoff? We have two keepers. 'Twas Hoff last night haha.
Hahah I wasn’t there so assumed Heng, my chirps are now meritless — except maybe the OG last night.

That Serbian striker #6, looked both full of piss and vinegar, and a proper threat. Looked Ibra, trying 4 consecutive Cruyff turns.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada women killed Croatia yesterday. You could tell they had some really elite players.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:27 AM   #12
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Canada women killed Croatia yesterday. You could tell they had some really elite players.
Yea it looks like there are two good teams and two bad teams in the women’s tourney. Italy Vs Canada on Sunday will be a good one, and a preview of the women’s final. Yvonne Northover plays on Canada. (Her brother being Dean previously with the Cavs). Her other brother Mark on my team. Heck of a soccer family. Yvonne is unreal.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Hahah I wasn’t there so assumed Heng, my chirps are now meritless — except maybe the OG last night.

That Serbian striker #6, looked both full of piss and vinegar, and a proper threat. Looked Ibra, trying 4 consecutive Cruyff turns.
Did you watch last night? Him and I got into it lol. He started talking trash to me, so I told him “beat me one time and then you can talk. I’ve had you in my pocket all night.” He didn’t like that very much haha. Proceeded to try and kill me in a tackle 30 seconds later, but failed. Good player, but a head case and just a poor sport.

Edit: I actually f’d up on my trash talk and told him “I’ve been in your pocket all night” hahah. He didn’t notice.

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 03-31-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:47 AM   #14
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you watch last night? Him and I got into it lol. He started talking trash to me, so I told him “beat me one time and then you can talk. I’ve had you in my pocket all night.” He didn’t like that very much haha. Proceeded to try and kill me in a tackle 30 seconds later, but failed. Good player, but a head case and just a poor sport.

Edit: I actually f’d up on my trash talk and told him “I’ve been in your pocket all night” hahah. He didn’t notice.
haha I did. Never seen him before. In fairness Greg, his team was poor at providing him service. Lots of disparity across that squad.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:59 AM   #15
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed. Serbia was poor. We actually played pretty poorly last night and still beat them handily.

He’s a good player, but easy to get off his game. I’ve played him before.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:28 PM   #16
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Was talking to some girls I know playing in Nations Cup, and Steph Labbe (longtime Canadian keeper) is playing for Canada in this tourney….but not in net haha. I asked how she was playing out and they replied “she’s ok. She’s got keepers feet”.
I reffed Canada's first game.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #17
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I saw this. I turned to my kid and a said something is going to happen. #6 sure tried but glad he didn't. He grabbed his bags and headed straight to the locker room after. Head case forsure

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #18
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Name something more iconic that Serbian or Mexican teams being hotheads.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 02:28 PM   #19
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I saw this. I turned to my kid and a said something is going to happen. #6 sure tried but glad he didn't. He grabbed his bags and headed straight to the locker room after. Head case forsure
Yea I knew he was going to come for me, so braced for it. Not really sure what he was trying to do.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:14 AM   #20
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should be some really good games today. Final group stage games, and in men’s open, there are 5 groups and of course only 8 quarter finalists. Some of the games today will determine who gets first, and the loser could potentially be eliminated. Games will have really good atmospheres, and I’d recommend the following:
- Poland Vs Afghanistan - 3:00
- Scotland Vs Lebanon - 4:30
- Chile Vs Italy - 6:00 (for those of you that followed the foothills PDL team, Dominic Russo plays for Italy. Long time rival but also buddy of mine)
- Canada Vs Croatia - 7:00

O35:
- Canada Vs Chile - 8:00

Women’s:
- Canada Vs Italy - 5:00. This is a preview of the final that will be on Thursday

The soccer centre will be PACKED today. Should be fun.