Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is a great team guy but is not NHL caliber anymore
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #22
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't come as advertised, but truly a man who embraced whatever role was given to him. As a bottom line forward and PKer, he was really good. Not to mention being a great locker room guy by many accounts, and helping to develop our current crop of core players that will hopefully win us a championship.

As a Flames fan who wasn't around for the glory of the 80s, and experienced some truly dark times in the 90s, his series clinching goal is probably one of my top 5 Flames moments of all time.

His penalty shot goal for his son Emerson was a special moment, and one I'll probably never forget as a Flames fan. Few things within the game transcend the game, and that was one of them.

I hope he gets to 1,000 and I am pretty confident he will. This will be his last season and it's been a little disappointing, but that doesn't take away from what he's done for the club over the past 8 seasons.

All the best Matty. Let's go get a Cup together!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

17 Games remaining until Staj hits 1,000 games played!

As of late, he's been a crucial piece in what has been a very effective 4th line with Lomberg and Lazar. I think he's quietly proving himself to be a strong 4th line centre that helps the players around him. This talk of him being "not NHL caliber" just isn't true.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-16-2018 at 11:24 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
17 Games remaining until Staj hits 1,000 games played!

As of late, he's been a crucial piece in what has been a very effective 4th line with Lomberg and Lazar. I think he's quietly proving himself to be a strong 4th line centre that helps the players around him. This talk of him being "not NHL caliber" just isn't true.
Like a lot of veterans (and unlike a lot of kids) he gets better as the season goes on. That's a function of experience versus adrenaline. I still think he'd be even better as a winger, with less quick movement required in the D zone. I'm hoping they treat him right when he is not extended this year. I don't know what his post hockey plans are, but I think he's got a lot of insight to provide the young players.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think he's quietly proving himself to be a strong 4th line centre that helps the players around him.
He's helped younger players in that 4th line role before as well, so it's nothing new to me.

Remember the Vancouver series when Ferland made an impact? He credited Stajan with aiding in his growth.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

he is fine on the 4th line...overpaid but who cares its his last season
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #27
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He has a spot on this team, for sure. But he is done after this year I think
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #28
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

One of the things I really like about having a guy like Stajan on the team is he shows young players how to be a pro. He’s been pretty much everything in his career, from 1st line centre to fourth line plug, but he keeps getting them checks.

For players like Hathaway, Ferland, Lomberg, Jankowski, coming into the organization and having someone around to show you what it takes to be an everyday NHLer when you’re not a star, is - I think - invaluable.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #29
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Oct-Dec, Stajan for the most part looked basically totally unplayable (as did the rest of the 4th liners with or without Stajan). He couldn't keep up with the pace of the NHL and was a big reason for him and his line getting hemmed in the defensive zone as often as they did. In short, it looked as if he was very much completely done.

Ever since the calendar has switched over from 2017 to 2018, Stajan has been so much better and is showing he can still somewhat keep up with the pace of the game and has become a serviceable player again at this point.

It isn't realistic to expect Stajan to produce much more at all in terms of goals or points, but at least he is playing way better now and showing that he does in fact actually still have something left in him and that the game has not completely passed him by right now.

Last edited by Karl; 02-16-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post: