Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #201
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
If that's his asking, I think this will be one of the Treliving wizard moves.

5 years, $4.something million.
This is the sweet spot I think..

Around $4.8 million AAV over 5 years, with full NTC for first three years and 15-team veto NTC for last two. Lighten up the dollars in the back years a bit to pay him more in the near-term, as he's clearly not being dislodged from that 2C role anytime soon.

Treliving's contracts for the current core of this team seem to be structured similarly in terms of the back-end limited NTCs, so it's probable Backlund's will be too.

Gaudreau(5 years full flexibility, 1 year modified NTC - 5 team list)
Monahan(4 years full flexibility, 3 years modified NTC - 10 team veto)
Frolik(5 years modified NTC - 10 team veto) But he was a UFA, so...

Giordano(4 years full NTC, 2 years modified NTC - 19 team list)
Dougie(4 years full flexibility, 2 years modified NTC - 12 team veto)
Brodie(2 years full flexibility, 3 years modified NTC - 8 team veto)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #202
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
It’s odd that out of his post you cherry pick something and comment to it and that comment isn’t even accurate.

Most games Draisaitl starts as the 2nd line Center and when they need to get some more jam into the top line, Drai is moved up to McD’s wing.

His point still stands. And no, Jankowski is not ready to go up against every teams top line on most nights and be able to produce offense. Furthermore, Janko has slowed down dramatically over this losing streak and his possession game is certainly slipping as well. Proof that he is not ready for a full time top-6 spot. If this trend continues and his game continues to slip, what then? Press box for a game or worse?

2nd line C is not the answer.
Clearly we should overreact and trade him before his trade value gets worse.

Or maybe we could you know, let him develop?
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #203
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Is this a joke? League handed all that to them on a silver platter for $$$$

It's such a unique situation you can't compare...besides, I could have picked a better team with what they were given.
Interesting. That would drop the Vegas staff to 2nd place and vault you to first!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #204
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

FanIn80, I'm not quoting your whole post but I do believe it is very well reasoned and sensible. My only comments in reply would be a couple of questions:

1) I'm not sure I'm on board with the notion that Jankowski needs #2 ice *now* to avoid stunting his development, or even next season. He did his full term at college, did a full season plus a bit in the minors, and now is on the team in a 3rd line role. Slow and steady development has worked for him over his entire adult career. I don't see the need to step on the gas right now.

2) If, some time over the course of Backlund's extension, Jankowski beats out Backlund for the #2 spot, I have no doubt that the coaches will not hesitate to utilize Jankowski as such. Jankowski hasn't been buried behind the more experience, more expensive Matt Stajan, for example. Even if Jankowski makes less than Backlund for some time, if he earns the #2 spot I imagine that's where he'll play.

There's lots of good points on both sides for how to approach Backlund's extension or possible trade. But I don't think it's impact on Jankowski in the immediate and long term future should hold very much weight, if any.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #205
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter how you view Jankowski and where he could slot in today, or down the road, there is limited downside if you can sign Backlund (or any player) to a good value contract.

BUT

There are two questions I am asking myself:

Does it make sense Backlund's camp is asking around $5 million per? That just seems a trifle low for his bargaining position honestly so I am either skeptical OR

Is he asking for a very prohibitive no trade clause and could that be a sticking point? Because yeah, it might be a good value contract but if one day you find yourself playing him as a third line C you might wish you had that money to spend on a top line winger.

I suspect that may be where the sticking point lies. But the one out the Flames have have is that Janko is under control for a while yet, so worst case he might become a trade chip. You could have worse problems.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #206
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd like to see Treliving get something done in a timely way for a change. Lots to like about Trevliving's work and he's got good value for most signings but dragging out negotiations has a downside too. Should have signed Johnny sooner, Bennett sooner, and definitely should have signed Jagr sooner. Jagr signed in time to do training camp with the team vs. after the season started was a major blunder. Having Backlund's status hang over the team is not a good idea and letting him walk would be a fireable offence. Don't think it will come to that but really, if that's the ask, just get it done already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #207
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Interesting. That would drop the Vegas staff to 2nd place and vault you to first!
The point being they didn't take the BPA...they wanted to sell this deadline. The rules were far too easy.

The average person could have picked better players for year one...they took futures to overlook certain guys.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #208
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
It’s odd that out of his post you cherry pick something and comment to it and that comment isn’t even accurate.

Most games Draisaitl starts as the 2nd line Center and when they need to get some more jam into the top line, Drai is moved up to McD’s wing.

His point still stands. And no, Jankowski is not ready to go up against every teams top line on most nights and be able to produce offense. Furthermore, Janko has slowed down dramatically over this losing streak and his possession game is certainly slipping as well. Proof that he is not ready for a full time top-6 spot. If this trend continues and his game continues to slip, what then? Press box for a game or worse?

2nd line C is not the answer.
I never said anything about Backlund/Jankowski, and I think his post was fine.

If we're not allowed to make fun of the oilers around here anymore, that'll really cut down on the number of posts, and also my enjoyment of CP...
Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #209
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No matter how you view Jankowski and where he could slot in today, or down the road, there is limited downside if you can sign Backlund (or any player) to a good value contract.

BUT

There are two questions I am asking myself:

Does it make sense Backlund's camp is asking around $5 million per? That just seems a trifle low for his bargaining position honestly so I am either skeptical OR

Is he asking for a very prohibitive no trade clause and could that be a sticking point? Because yeah, it might be a good value contract but if one day you find yourself playing him as a third line C you might wish you had that money to spend on a top line winger.

I suspect that may be where the sticking point lies. But the one out the Flames have have is that Janko is under control for a while yet, so worst case he might become a trade chip. You could have worse problems.
It's an interesting perspective... I wonder if the rationale is that they think he'll get 4 year max as a UFA given his age albeit on much bigger money but likes Calgary and isn't confident of another big payday when that deal expires.

They are looking at net career earnings and gambling that 6.5 x 4 might lead him to the swedish league or fishing for league minimum at 33 whereas 5x6 guarantees the extra gross 4 mil and keeps him somewhere where he has a home (I don't think 5x5 will happen frankly).

So in a nutshell taking term, certainty and net earnings over a big move and a gamble.

If he moves somewhere that fails to work and signs a 4 year deal... Imagine him not fitting in and getting bought out in a couple year at 31. He'll lose 20% of his money. I meam worst case scenario but I understand playing it safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #210
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The point being they didn't take the BPA...they wanted to sell this deadline. The rules were far too easy.

The average person could have picked better players for year one...they took futures to overlook certain guys.
Oh I know, I was just poking fun at ricardodw's assertion that GMGM is part of the greatest management team ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #211
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
I'd like to see Treliving get something done in a timely way for a change. Lots to like about Trevliving's work and he's got good value for most signings but dragging out negotiations has a downside too. Should have signed Johnny sooner, Bennett sooner, and definitely should have signed Jagr sooner...
There are two sides in every negotiation. Treliving cannot merely decide to sign a player and make it happen unless he is prepared to give him whatever he wants.

This idea that Backlund should have been signed already is a flat perspective of how things actually work. And it is laughable to label the loss of Backlund through UFA “a fireable offense.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #212
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Clearly we should overreact and trade him before his trade value gets worse.
I think this is exactly what we should do!

Edit: wait, sorry I thought I was posting on the Oilers boards.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #213
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if he still goes to Ikea when he's homesick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #214
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

After his recent play I would be highly concerned with giving him 5 mill for 6 years when this team desperately needs guys to fill the net. Backlunds defensive play has not been great either, he’s been very much carried by Tkachuk offensively.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #215
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
After his recent play I would be highly concerned with giving him 5 mill for 6 years when this team desperately needs guys to fill the net. Backlunds defensive play has not been great either, he’s been very much carried by Tkachuk offensively.
He's a solid player that doesn't hurt you but doesn't win games for you. Not bad but not great. You just can't over pay or give too much term to a player like this. I really hope he gets five years at the absolute maximum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 AM   #216
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh after tonight I don’t care whether he stays or not.

There was one shift where Backlund just lazily glided around, didn’t cover any of their guys and if not for Smith would have had a lovely look at a Vegas goal.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:09 AM   #217
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oops double post.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 AM   #218
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's a solid player that doesn't hurt you but doesn't win games for you. Not bad but not great. You just can't over pay or give too much term to a player like this. I really hope he gets five years at the absolute maximum.
You started the post making a world of sense then ended it with the bold part? Is this supposed to be satire?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 AM   #219
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Meh after tonight I don’t care whether he stays or not.

There was one shift where Backlund just lazily glided around, didn’t cover any of their guys and if not for Smith would have had a lovely look at a Vegas goal.
He’s been un-engaged a lot defensively, especially compared to last season. The 3M line has now become the 1M line. Backlund has been one of my biggest let downs of the season. Coming off last season I had very high hopes for Backlund, there were times last season where he looked like our no.1 center. This year he’s had stone hands and his finishing has been atrocious. He gets stuck constantly trying to cycle the puck and rarely gets into the slot. Not been a fan of his game at all

Last edited by Beninho; 01-31-2018 at 12:27 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 01:25 AM   #220
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
He’s been un-engaged a lot defensively, especially compared to last season. The 3M line has now become the 1M line. Backlund has been one of my biggest let downs of the season. Coming off last season I had very high hopes for Backlund, there were times last season where he looked like our no.1 center. This year he’s had stone hands and his finishing has been atrocious. He gets stuck constantly trying to cycle the puck and rarely gets into the slot. Not been a fan of his game at all
Yeah, that's what I thought I saw too. I like Backlund, both as a player and as a human being. He is a genuine nice guy and did a lot of charity work in the community. I always have a soft spot for him

He was excellent last season, it's interesting that he had a career year on his non contract year and when it's his contract year he regress so much? The question I'm wondering, was last year the top of the mountain?

Anyhoo, I hope we re-sign him, like I said, I have a soft spot for him and hope he retire as a Flames. However, I don't want them breaking the bank for him either. Low $4M and 4 years top.