Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:47 AM   #121
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he is asking for 5x5 then just get it done already that would be a great contract.

Backlund is an ideal 2nd line centre. He matches up against top lines while managing 50 points. Losing him would create a massive hole in the line up.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 AM   #122
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
this team is not wining with him. he disappeared (as the rest of the team) in playoffs last year. i see no reason for such contract as long as this team wants to be at the top. if we fine with mediocrity pay him.
This is not a correct assessment in any way, shape or form.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:55 AM   #123
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

5x5 seems like a reasonable ask from him.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #124
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny that the article mentioned two rumours amounts, and most here are simply assumed the lower amount is accurate, and subtracted from there. All of a sudden we have 4x$4.3M being throw about.

When players sign contracts who are approaching UFA at around 29-30, the final years will likely stink. If you don't give the players those years, he likely doesn't sign with you.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #125
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It's funny that the article mentioned two rumours amounts, and most here are simply assumed the lower amount is accurate, and subtracted from there. All of a sudden we have 4x$4.3M being throw about.

When players sign contracts who are approaching UFA at around 29-30, the final years will likely stink. If you don't give the players those years, he likely doesn't sign with you.
That’s because the higher amount was “word around the league”
and the lower amount was “a source familiar with the situation says it’s actually...”

It’s not just an arbitrary choosing of the lower number. The article indicates the lower number is more accurate.

I’d say anything below 5 is great. Anything 5.5 is fine. Anything 5.6+ is scary.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #126
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping $5.1 million x 4. really dont want 5-6 years.
that said i think they should wait closer to deadline to make decision. Theres something not right about this group and its not all on coaching.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #127
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

No I do not have a solution but does Monahan / Backlund get it done over the next 4 years?

Monahan / Backlund
Johansen / Turris
Schiefele/ Little
Statsny / Schenn
Pavalski /Couture
Marchessault / Karlsson
Kopitar /Carter
Sequin / Spezza
Mackinnon/ Soderberg
Staal/Koivu
Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #128
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
No I do not have a solution but does Monahan / Backlund get it done over the next 4 years?

Monahan / Backlund
Johansen / Turris
Schiefele/ Little
Statsny / Schenn
Pavalski /Couture
Marchessault / Karlsson
Kopitar /Carter
Sequin / Spezza
Mackinnon/ Soderberg
Staal/Koivu
Geez, if you're looking at combos of centers, they're on par or better than all of those combos, and behind combos like Scheifele/Little and Kopitar/Carter. Monahan is close to a point per game player this year and on pace for 40 goals while playing solid defense. Backlund is an elite two-way center who effectively shuts down other team's top players while putting up 50 points. I don't see better combinations for the most part on that list. Plus, they're younger than most of those players.

So yeah, they can get it done.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #129
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let's just home BT doesn't take this as a sign to undercut him too much and insult him. That wouldn't be good for anyone.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #130
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Theres something not right about this group and its not all on coaching.
That something isn't Backlund. Backlund is a solid player and should be kept if the money is reasonable. If there is a problem, it is more on the backend. I still think the coaching staff is problem one. Fix that before you move out any players. Don't pull a Greg Gilbert.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Monahan / Backlund
Johansen / Turris
Schiefele/ Little
Statsny / Schenn
Pavalski /Couture
Marchessault / Karlsson
Kopitar /Carter
Sequin / Spezza
Mackinnon/ Soderberg
Staal/Koivu
They are better than most of those combos IMO. And Monahan-Backlund-Jankowski will be a better three centre group as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #132
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Geez, if you're looking at combos of centers, they're on par or better than all of those combos, and behind combos like Scheifele/Little and Kopitar/Carter. Monahan is close to a point per game player this year and on pace for 40 goals while playing solid defense. Backlund is an elite two-way center who effectively shuts down other team's top players while putting up 50 points. I don't see better combinations for the most part on that list. Plus, they're younger than most of those players.

So yeah, they can get it done.
Marchessault / Karlsson 44 goals 88 pts +48 combined

Monahan /Backlund 31 goals 74 pts +8 combined

If the Flames end up playing the Knights in the playoffs who will be shutting down who?

would any of the contending teams be lining up to make Backlund their #2 C?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #133
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That something isn't Backlund. Backlund is a solid player and should be kept if the money is reasonable. If there is a problem, it is more on the backend. I still think the coaching staff is problem one. Fix that before you move out any players. Don't pull a Greg Gilbert.
The back end has been carrying this team. The issue is lack of secondary scoring and as they have discussed on 960 this morning not enough players that hate to lose as well as a head coach that appears to have the same issue. Too many nice guys on this team and not enough "FU" guys like Tkachuk in the words of Elliott Friedman. The morning show purposely played Gulutzan's post game comments and Tkachuk's back to back to illustrate the culture issue on the team. One was satisfied with the result while the other was pissed and upset. I don't think I need to tell you who said what.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #134
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They are better than most of those combos IMO. And Monahan-Backlund-Jankowski will be a better three centre group as well.
Maybe for the last 10-12 games.... but if this were actually a fact, the Flames with best group of centres along with the best top-4 d-men and a top 4 in the conference goalie s (maybe the best pair of goalies) should not on be in a death match with 6 teams for 3 playoff spots.

Something does not add up.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #135
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On a cup contender, Backlund is a 3C. That's all the Flames should pay him for since his contract will run thru our prime years with this group. And that is less than what he wants. Bye bye Backlund.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #136
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Marchessault / Karlsson 44 goals 88 pts +48 combined

Monahan /Backlund 31 goals 74 pts +8 combined

If the Flames end up playing the Knights in the playoffs who will be shutting down who?

would any of the contending teams be lining up to make Backlund their #2 C?
Are you seriously saying that, on a long term signing, you take Marchessault/Karlsson over Monahan/Backlund? Because of one year where they are doubling the points they ever got before?

One of these pairs has a history of production. Another doesn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #137
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not the Back end and i don't believe the entire team has a culture change with a new coach. There are way to many nice guys on the flames. Its starting to remind me off the country club years.

It's not that i want Backlund off the team, but if some players need to be changed there isn't a long list of players you can change. Don't see Johnny and Monny going anywhere. I would kill someone if they traded Tkachuk. Janko is a good young 3rd line center ona cheap contract , i wouldnt trade him. You can't get #### for the 4th line players. It kind of leaves Backlund, Bennet and Ferland. (Brouwer is untradeable).

I'll also admit someone posted a trade suggestion of Brodie for Kadri and it got me thinking that i would rather have Kadri as the 2nd line center over Backlund. Granted that will probably never happen.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #138
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
On a cup contender, Backlund is a 3C. That's all the Flames should pay him for since his contract will run thru our prime years with this group. And that is less than what he wants. Bye bye Backlund.
Nashville was a cup contender last year. Backlund is a 2C on that team - theirs was Mike Fisher.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #139
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
What is this assertion based on?

I have seen a few posters say it, but it doesn't align with the numbers I posted a while back in this thread, which show that Backlund is among the top-40 producing centres in the entire NHL over the past three seasons. Add to that his excellent defensive play and I really believe that most teams would be clamouring to add him to their second lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #140
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish they’d get the deal done, you can see this weighing on him lately.
Closed Thread