Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #81
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Beef Bourguignon is my go to.

1.5Kg stewing beef cubes tossed in flour, salt and pepper, a jar of pickled onions, a lb of mushrooms, a carrot, some parsley and about 1/2 lb of bacon, preferably uncut so you can cube it.

Cook bacon in a cast iron dutch oven until brown - I use a Lodge, they're good. Remove bacon, but leave the heat on, and cook the beef cubes in the fat until browned. Take those out too, put in the carrots and onions and brown them along with a few sliced up cloves of garlic.

Add back in the meat, add 3 cups beef stock, 3 cups wine, 1 tbsp tomato paste, some oregano or thyme, and a couple of bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then remove from stove and put in the oven for 3 hours at 325. Take the top off, stir, then put it back in for another hour or until it's thick.

When it's almost done, cut the mushrooms up, sautee them in butter, chop the parsley up, and then when the beef is finished, stir in the mushrooms and parsley.

Le voila. Serve with mashed potatoes. It's delicious and really hard to screw up.
I'm a big fan of San Marzano Tomato's so I generally take any opportunity to use them when I can.

If you want to try something just a little different, swap out the tomato paste or cut back a bit on it and add some pureed San Marzano Tomato's. Just be careful it does add a bit of liquid to it so maybe cutback on a liquid somewhere else to compensate.

I'm a sales guy not a chef so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I just think it adds another level of flavor you don't necessarily get with just tomato paste.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #82
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Braised Short Ribs

8 meaty short ribs, or as many as needed
Coarse salt and black pepper
Flour for dredging
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
2 to 3 large carrots, peeled, trimmed, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 medium to large sized beet, peeled, coarsely cubed
4 cloves garlic, peeled, cut in half
1 large sprig fresh rosemary
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 star anise
1/3 cinnamon stick
2 to 3 bay leaves, depending on size
1 Tbsp peppercorns
2 to 4 cups beef broth
1/2 bottle good quality red wine
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 to 2 cups tomato juice
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 to 2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Preheat the oven to 325F.

2 Trim any excess fat from the short ribs. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and dredge with flour. Put 4 Tbsp oil in a large sauté skillet set over medium high heat. Shake off excess flour from the ribs and sear until nicely browned on all sides. Brown the ribs in batches to avoid overcrowding. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

3 If necessary, add a little oil to the skillet. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beets and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the thyme, rosemary, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and peppercorns and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute.

4 Put the ribs and vegetables in a large Dutch oven or other suitable casserole dish. The pot or casserole dish must have a lid that seals well. Add some of the beef broth to the skillet to deglaze the pan and then add the liquid to the Dutch oven. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. This is where you have to decide how much broth, wine, and tomato juice to use. If you have more than 8 ribs, you will need more liquid so adjust the recipe accordingly. Nestle the ribs in the broth. The meat and vegetables should be covered by about one inch of liquid. Bring all the ingredients to a quick boil.

5 Cover and transfer the Dutch oven to the oven to braise for 3 hours or until the meat is fall off the bone tender. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the ribs to a plate. Cover the ribs with foil to keep them warm. Put layers of cheesecloth in a colander, strain the broth from the vegetables, and discard the vegetables. Remove any excess fat from the broth if necessary. Reduce the broth until it is syrupy but not as thick as gravy. Alternately, thicken the gravy with a little flour slurry. Adjust for salt if necessary. Return the ribs to the broth, cover, and keep warm in the oven until serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or gremolata and serve with mashed potatoes on the side.

Gremolata
Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #83
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
you're correct, my wife has informed me that this is the wrong thomas keller recipe.

the first line of the recipe has been cut off on this epicurious recipe

Here is the full recipe she uses:

Ingredients:

• 2 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 5 ounces 55 percent chocolate, cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 5 ounces 70 to 72 percent chocolate, cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar, preferably molasses sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs

Directions:

1. Position the oven racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
  2. Sift the flour and baking soda into a medium bowl. Stir in the salt.
  3. Put the chips in a fine-mesh basket strainer and shake to remove any chocolate “dust” (small fragments).

4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat, half the butter on medium speed until fairly smooth. Add both sugars and the remaining butter, and beat until well combined, then beat for a few minutes, until the mixture is light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until the first one is incorporated before adding the next and scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine. Mix in the chocolate.

5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold the dough with a spatula to be sure that the chocolate is evenly incorporated. The dough or shaped cookies can be refrigerated, well wrapped, for up to five days or frozen for up to two weeks. Freeze shaped cookies on the baking sheets until firm, then transfer to freezer containers. Defrost frozen cookies overnight in the refrigerator before baking.

6. Using about two level tablespoons per cookie, shape dough into balls. Arrange eight cookies on each pan, leaving about two inches between them, because the dough will spread.

7. Bake for twelve minutes, or until the tops are no longer shiny, switching the position and rotating pans halfway through baking.

8. Cool cookies on the pans on cooling racks for about two minutes to firm them up a bit, then transfer to the racks to cool completely. Repeat with second batch of cookies. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.
For one of my first actual attempts at baking I think they came out really good. I had had to use coarse sea salt because kosher salt along with flour and sugar seem to be next to impossible to find.

I like these cookies, they are sweet but not gross sweet.

Great suggestion on the cookies Flash!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #84
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...ron-cornbread/

I am making a stew today for dinner. I've always really liked cornbread but for some reason I've never made it. It seems simple enough to make so I'm going to give it a try but I'm going to add some creamed corn to the recipie and I'm going to finish off the cornbread with a honey butter (and some yet to be determined spice)

I think I'm going to gain a pound or two during this pandemic.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #85
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any good tips for making cookies chewy instead of hard?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #86
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have no clue what it was specifically in the recipe Flash posted but they were a good mix of crunchy on the outer edges and nice and chewy in the middle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #87
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brown sugar instead of white sugar
High melting point fats like shortening over butter.
High temp, Short baking times.

The goal is a thicker cookie that retains moisture while baking that doesn’t spread out
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #88
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

as soon as they're cool enough to touch, store them in an ice cream pail with the lid on.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #89
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, in my house those tasty gems wouldn’t last long enough for that to make a difference.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #90
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post

I am making a stew today for dinner. I've always really liked cornbread but for some reason I've never made it. It seems simple enough to make so I'm going to give it a try but I'm going to add some creamed corn to the recipie and I'm going to finish off the cornbread with a honey butter (and some yet to be determined spice)

I dont know what I did wrong. I followed the recipe to the letter. I did add a little extra honey though and a handfull of frozen corn. It was so dense and kinda crumbly and dry.

I had some leftover Chipotle Honey butter I made yesterday so I made a cornbread grilled cheese for dinner tonight, that was pretty good. I can't say I'd try this recipe again though.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:43 PM   #91
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Brown sugar instead of white sugar
High melting point fats like shortening over butter.
High temp, Short baking times.

The goal is a thicker cookie that retains moisture while baking that doesn’t spread out

And remove then before they are fully baked. Then let them cool on the hot baking sheets for 2 to 3 minutes before transferring to a baking rack to cool. Also don't squish the raw cookie dough down to flatten the cookies prior to baking.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #92
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont know what I did wrong. I followed the recipe to the letter. I did add a little extra honey though and a handfull of frozen corn. It was so dense and kinda crumbly and dry.

I had some leftover Chipotle Honey butter I made yesterday so I made a cornbread grilled cheese for dinner tonight, that was pretty good. I can't say I'd try this recipe again though.
I like to add a bit more buttermilk and let the batter rest for 10 minutes or so prior to baking. Cornmeal does not absorb liquid well and consequently, the end product ends up being rather crumbly. Instead of corn kernels, I would have added creamed corn from a can.

Cornbread will never be as soft as regular bread anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:58 AM   #93
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Aside from what's already been mentioned, chilling the cookie dough until it's baked can help too.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #94
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would like to suggest Parmesan Dumplings next time you make a stew.

NOTE: The dumplings are prepared and cooked on top of the stew once the stew is fully cooked...not while the stew is simmering or braising.

Parmesan dumplings
125 g butter (a bit more than 1/2 cup)
250 g flour (2 cups)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
100 ml milk (about 2/5 cup), or as required
3/4/2 tsp salt
2 to 4 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced

Put the butter, flour, baking powder, salt and Parmesan in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
Put the mixture in a bowl and slowly add the milk until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. The dough should be on the stiff side but still tacky, not as stiff as bread dough.

Remove the dough and form dumplings, just slightly smaller in size than golf balls. The dough should roll quite easily in your hand. If your hands get sticky, rinse them with a little water and then continue rolling.

Evenly space the dumplings on top of the stew, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. The stew has to be simmering gently, not boiling, or the dumplings will fall apart. You could also uncover the stew once the dumplings have cooked, turn on the broiler, and cook the dumplings until golden brown.

When the dumplings are cooked through, remove the lid, and serve immediately.

This recipe makes enough dumplings to cover stew that was cooked in a 6 quart Dutch oven. Make half the recipe if you have not made that much stew.

Also, keep in mind, that recipe amounts are always just a suggestion. If you feel the dough is too stiff, add more milk. Just like bread recipes, dumplings and the like are influenced by the moisture in the air on any particular day.

I suspect that is why you had trouble with your cornbread too. You probably needed less cornmeal or more buttermilk. Also, cornmeal does not contain gluten and hence it will never have the same crumb as regular bread. Next time, try soaking the cornmeal and buttermilk before adding the rest of the ingredients. Also as I previously suggested, add some creamed corn and for a Mexican kick, add in a can of Mexican diced chilies.
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #95
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like to add cheddar to cornbread. Helps with the dryness a bit, plus, well, it's cheddar. Mix some shredded in, and sprinkle some on the top.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #96
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My current favourite thing to smoke:

Pork Belly Burnt Ends (shameless stolen from Malcom Reed - https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17...ly-burnt-ends/

Ingredients

8lb Pork Belly skin removed
½ cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
1 ½ sticks Butter sliced
½ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Honey
Pork Belly Burnt End Glaze
1 cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
¼ cup Apple Juice
¼ cup Apple Jelly
1 Tablespoon Frank’s Hot Sauce
Instructions

Prepare charcoal smoker for indirect cooking at 250-275⁰. Add 2 chunks of Cherry Wood for smoke.
Remove pork belly from packaging and cube into 1 ½” x 1 ½” pieces.
Season all sides of the pork belly cubes with The BBQ Rub.
Arrange cubes onto a full size cooling rack and place on smoking grate.
Smoke pork belly for 2 – 2 ½ hours.
Place each Pork Belly Burnt End into an aluminum pan and cover with brown sugar and honey. Arrange butter in between the pork belly pieces.
Cover pan with aluminum foil and return to smoker for 1 ½ hours or until the pieces are tender.
Drain the liquid from the pan and add the Pork Belly Glaze to the burnt ends. Toss gently to coat each piece and return to the smoker to set the glaze for 5-10 minutes and serve.

I have a pellet grill, so I just use my competition blend pellets instead of cherry wood chunks.
I also skip the apple jelly because I don't have any.

This is the most delicious thing you will ever eat. It is insanely rich and decadent. I recommend it as an appy or something
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #97
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The lady wants me to try to make some Dutch Oven bread. Never knew that was a thing till today. Took a look a a couple of recipes online, they seem quite varied in difficulty.

If anybody has any recipes for a ditch oven bread that's good let me know. I noticed tasty had one that had like a bajillion good reviews. All else fails I was going to give that one a go.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #98
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The lady wants me to try to make some Dutch Oven bread. Never knew that was a thing till today. Took a look a a couple of recipes online, they seem quite varied in difficulty.

If anybody has any recipes for a ditch oven bread that's good let me know. I noticed tasty had one that had like a bajillion good reviews. All else fails I was going to give that one a go.
I gotcha bruh

https://www.lifeasastrawberry.com/ea...-french-bread/

Caveat, I didn't make this, my pretty experienced Baker wife did, but I watched and did crucial things like lifting it out of he oven.

It seemed really simple, she was very impressed with the end result considering how easy it was.

She's made it 3 times since the asteroid hit and the last time she mixed it by hand instead of her mixer and she said she much preferred the by hand version because it was so easy and ended up baking up fluffier.

She bakes it at 425 now instead of 450 and adds an extra 5 minutes to the covered baking time.

She also goes half whole wheat flour, very nice.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #99
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a big fan of different types of stews, chicken, meat, fish, venison, its the ultimate easy meal to make

Ingredients

• 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups of fresh chopped tomato (about 1 medium sized tomato) OR 1 14-ounce can of whole or crushed tomatoes with their juices
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste (optional)
  • 8 oz of clam juice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (like Sauvignon blanc)
  • 1 1/2 lb fish fillets (use a firm white fish such as halibut, cod, red snapper, or sea bass), cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Pinch of dry oregano
  • Pinch of dry thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco (or more to taste)
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Salt to taste
1 Heat olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 4 minutes, add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add parsley and stir 2 minutes. Add tomato and tomato paste, and gently cook for 10 minutes or so.
2 Add clam juice, dry white wine, and fish. Bring to a simmer and simmer until the fish is cooked through and easily flakes apart, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add seasoning (oregano, thyme, Tabasco). Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.

I like this with french bread.

You can also get creative and add veggies to it like base veggies for a normal stew, like carrots and potatoes or even things like green beans.

It depends on your taste.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #100
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simple but tasty dinner tonight. Also one of my favorite pastas, cacio e pepe.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1248078330164736000
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slaving over a hot stove , tasty treats