Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #5461
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Then let's achieve diversification through innovation, maybe thinking outside the box. Maybe instead of a volatile O+G hub, we become a energy innovation and research hub? Leverage technology and science into a different direction focusing on clean energy and sustainability? Establish a panel of scientists, economists and industry professionals to help plan these ideas.
Every province in Canada, every state in the U.S., and every country in Europe is doing exactly that - desperately trying to become an innovation and tech hub.

So what does Alberta have to offer that B.C., Ontario, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Colorado, and Oregon lack? Our climate is ####ty compared to most of those places. For young global knowledge workers who can live anywhere, our entertainment and culture scene doesn't excite. We are not close to a cluster of world-class research schools.

We do have a fairly young and educated population, and a decent quality of life for people who want to raise a family in the burbs. But don't kid yourself - you're competing with everywhere in the developed world for these jobs.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-06-2020 at 02:35 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #5462
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
you're competing with everywhere in the developed world for these jobs.
Except we aren't competing, we've thrown in the towel and given up.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #5463
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every province in Canada, every state in the U.S., and every country in Europe is doing exactly that - desperately trying to become an innovation and tech hub.

So what does Alberta have to offer that B.C., Ontario, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Colorado, and Oregon lack? Our climate is ####ty compared to most of those places. For global knowledge workers who can live anywhere, our entertainment and culture scene doesn't excite. We are not close to a cluster of world-class research schools.

We do have a fairly young and educated population, and a decent quality of life for people who want to raise a family in the burbs. But don't kid yourself - you're competing with everywhere in the developed world for these jobs.
That's why I specifically mentioned something energy-focused.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #5464
edslunch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I agree, Calgary is a great city, I'm a third generation Calgarian and don't want to move. It's better than a lot of places, easily the top city in the Prairies. Can you honestly say though that it comes close to competing with Van, Toronto, California, and others? Because that is our main competition for attracting these companies, not Winnipeg and Edmonton. We need to have a realistic image of our city, sunny days and mountains don't count a lot when we're now in our 7th straight month of below zero temperatures and we're a 12 hour drive from the nearest large city besides...Edmonton.

In regards to KXL, it's not 8 billion straight up all at once, it's around 1 billion up front now and then up to 6 additional billion in the future. And as far as public expenditures to get a return it's pretty top of the list. Can you detail what exactly we could get with a half bil towards higher education and other industries? People keep saying that because it sounds good, but it usually turns in to a big government give away with no concrete results. I agree that tech and AI is the future, you lure them in with tax advantages built on the back of our overwhelming advantage. That's oil and gas for better or worse, it just is. People don't like that but it could be worse, Winnipeg and other cities have basically no advantage to leverage.

Tax breaks donít work for startups with no revenue, you need grants, tax credits, or equity stakes. Thatís where the investment $ would go.

And for everyone saying we canít compete, are there no software developers in this city besides O&G?? No computer science grads born and raised here? No highly educated immigrants that could be enticed to come here? Itís the same argument people use with the Flames and free agents, but some players really do want to come here.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #5465
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah I claim bull####. There are tech folks in Calgary trying to build new businesses and opportunities despite low oil prices. They're there because they love Calgary and want to make it work.

One example us, lasr I heard Absorb Software was the only company taking major real estate downtown. Google also moved in on 11 Ave. Jobber recently took a large space of office in downtown Edmonton as well.

We should be support, incubating, and investing in these kind people and businesses. They really are important to have.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #5466
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

That tech based business incentive that the NDP brought in, that the UCP binned, was a nice step forward in that direction.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #5467
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Tax breaks donít work for startups with no revenue, you need grants, tax credits, or equity stakes. Thatís where the investment $ would go.

And for everyone saying we canít compete, are there no software developers in this city besides O&G?? No computer science grads born and raised here? No highly educated immigrants that could be enticed to come here? Itís the same argument people use with the Flames and free agents, but some players really do want to come here.
Yeah sure toss tax incentives in there too, they're necessary for startups, but now you're talking about highly speculative maneuvers that will mostly fail. That's fine, I'm all for doing that because big bets can definitely pay off, but it's a lot easier and more responsible to do so when you have a foundational industry chugging at full steam in the background.

The NHL is a good illustration of what we're up against competing for talent. Sure, some people sign here, but most don't even consider Calgary. Our ranking on the NTC list is a pretty good proxy of where we would rank with any other highly talented, highly mobile workforce; ahead of places like Buffalo, WPG, OTT, and EDM, but lower middle tier behind California, Texas, Florida, New York, Chicago, AZ and Vancouver (Toronto gets pulled down because of their fans but overall it's a top level city). I wish it wasn't true, and I certainly don't mind living here, but I was born here. Reality is what it is. It doesn't mean we lay down and die but it also doesn't mean we have to be delusional and think that any big mobile company would choose us over a multitude of other cities all things being equal.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #5468
you&me
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

So what does Alberta have to offer that B.C., Ontario, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Colorado, and Oregon lack? Our climate is ####ty compared to most of those places. For young global knowledge workers who can live anywhere, our entertainment and culture scene doesn't excite. We are not close to a cluster of world-class research schools.

I remember making the argument years ago that many of the Calgary-based O&G companies weren't just that, but rather "energy" companies. When the time came, they had the money, talent, know-how and vested interest in maintaining their position as "energy" companies and it wasn't like they'd just wither on the vine and die...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:25 PM   #5469
edslunch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Alberta Politics & Government Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Yeah sure toss tax incentives in there too, they're necessary for startups, but now you're talking about highly speculative maneuvers that will mostly fail. That's fine, I'm all for doing that because big bets can definitely pay off, but it's a lot easier and more responsible to do so when you have a foundational industry chugging at full steam in the background.

The NHL is a good illustration of what we're up against competing for talent. Sure, some people sign here, but most don't even consider Calgary. Our ranking on the NTC list is a pretty good proxy of where we would rank with any other highly talented, highly mobile workforce; ahead of places like Buffalo, WPG, OTT, and EDM, but lower middle tier behind California, Texas, Florida, New York, Chicago, AZ and Vancouver (Toronto gets pulled down because of their fans but overall it's a top level city). I wish it wasn't true, and I certainly don't mind living here, but I was born here. Reality is what it is. It doesn't mean we lay down and die but it also doesn't mean we have to be delusional and think that any big mobile company would choose us over a multitude of other cities all things being equal.

No one should dispute that O&G is going to pay the bills for the foreseeable future and investing to reduce the differential is a reasonable approach though not without risk. But waiting until that starts paying off before pursuing diversification means losing 4-5 years. To use another Flames analogy, weíre investing in a veteran team that with better coaching and some FAs could make some noise, but we have no draft picks and no young players developing for the future. Itís poor asset management
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #5470
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
No one should dispute that O&G is going to pay the bills for the foreseeable future and investing to reduce the differential is a reasonable approach though not without risk. But waiting until that starts paying off before pursuing diversification means losing 4-5 years. To use another Flames analogy, weíre investing in a veteran team that with better coaching and some FAs could make some noise, but we have no draft picks and no young players developing for the future. Itís poor asset management
Have we traded Phaneuf yet? Sounds like the end of the Darryl Sutter years.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #5471
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For sure. I'm not saying we wait, but rather the really really big push (should) come from the Government once these pipelines are in place aka when the province is on a more solid footing financially. If god willing we are in a position 3 years from now with TMX and KXL pumping full bore and oil even in the ~$60 range and the UCP doesn't pursue the largest most aggressive diversification program in Alberta's history I think you'll see most people, myself included, push back against them. I think we can all agree that we'd like to see a bunch of diverse companies filling up office towers here and in Edmonton.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #5472
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Leaders who don't listen to the staff on how to improve things in the trenches are doomed to failure.

Private sector or public sector.

And in this case, the general public are going to feel the consequences for that failure in the form of closing clinics and a decreased quality of care.

I listen to my employees as much as I can. They have a voice that I respect, including when they want raises and job adjustments.

Even Michael Scott had a suggestion box in the office.

Really, it's Leadership 101.
Yes, listening to them is fine. Letting the tail wag the dog is not. They do not have access to the bigger picture. They're also as biased as it gets.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #5473
TherapyforGlencross
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Came across this article. Could lawyers chime in?

https://www.jccf.ca/alberta-governme...mbly-approval/

Seems like it's a power grab not unlike what the federal government tried to do with their budgetary powers. However, while the Federals had an end date of Dec 2021, this one doesn't. Meaning, these any new laws can be implemented indefinitely.

Also only 21 out of 87 MLAs being present to pass this law doesn't look like democracy, especially for something this powerful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am not a lawyer just my personal thoughts. This is a complete power grab, using the pandemic to suit his needs to obtain additional power. This is an undemocratic law and is extremely reckless.

What the Federal Government tried to do was just as shameful. But at least it extended until 2021.

What Kenney did was without a sunset clause. So when he sees fit to give that power up. And someone who has power, rarely wants to give it up.

Reckless, stupid, and dangerous. This should be getting way more headline. Maybe Supreme Court steps in?

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 04-06-2020 at 05:49 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #5474
sa226
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Came across this article. Could lawyers chime in?

https://www.jccf.ca/alberta-governme...mbly-approval/

Seems like it's a power grab not unlike what the federal government tried to do with their budgetary powers. However, while the Federals had an end date of Dec 2021, this one doesn't. Meaning, these any new laws can be implemented indefinitely.

Also only 21 out of 87 MLAs being present to pass this law doesn't look like democracy, especially for something this powerful.

Holy crap. How is this not getting more attention? That's scary with any government in power. Let alone the UCP.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #5475
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think they have a purposely-designed blitzkrieg strategy to leave the public and media shocked, confused, and scrambling to keep up with numerous policy changes and legislation, such that they can minimize contention and debate to implement their platform.

This isn't a coincidence. Add another thing they are using the cover of COVID to mold Alberta in the UCP's image.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #5476
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they have a purposely-designed blitzkrieg strategy to leave the public and media shocked, confused, and scrambling to keep up with numerous policy changes and legislation, such that they can minimize contention and debate to implement their platform.

This isn't a coincidence. Add another thing they are using the cover of COVID to mold Alberta in the UCP's image.
This is classic right wing and left wing politics. Under the guise of crisis you can make substantive changes when the populace is distracted.

We need to stay vigilant at both the provincial and federal level. At least at the federal level we had a minority government to stop it.

Last edited by GGG; 04-06-2020 at 06:43 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #5477
Izzle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Holy crap. How is this not getting more attention? That's scary with any government in power. Let alone the UCP.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I posted it this afternoon and was surprised that no one was talking about it. Perhaps it needs to make it to the news papers?

It's way too much power under the guise of emergency.

Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #5478
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a very popular point of discussion in the Canadian politics thread, but not here....

I can't seem to put my finger on why that is...
https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #5479
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Have a drink Ozy
Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #5480
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember that time the health minister used his position to access confidential information about a dissenting private citizen and then went to that citizens residence to berate and intimidate that citizen into silencing his dissent?

Is this thread hidden or something? Helloooo? Is this thing on?
https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: