Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #61
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this: http://www.biggreenegg.com/ Anybody have one?

After getting a basic Weber kettle charcoal grill, my gas weber sits unused.
I don't have one but they are awesome if you can deal with the grill size. You might want to look at the bubba keg though. Its steel (as opposed to the ceramic of the BGE) and is very efficient and works about the same. The Bubba Keg is not as breakable and about 1/2 the cost as well.

I have been eyeing up the BGE for the past 4-5 years and just haven't gone the distance yet. If I were to buy today though I'd go with the Bubba Keg. The one thing holding me back is the smaller grill space compared to what I ahve today.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #62
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
oh and FYI Balzac Meats 403-226-0162

THE BEST you can buy, cheaper then safeway and true AAA, none of that Red meat .
I will respectfully disagree and put up a vote for The Mad Butcher in Innisfail. Best meat you can buy in AB
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #63
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

When cooking a whole chick on the BBq, do you follow the same instructions as with an oven with temp and cook time/weight?
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #64
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a new grill. I'm one of those poor sapps that can't BBQ if there is wind gusting anything over 3KM
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #65
Rautakallio
Draft Pick

Default Big Green Egg

Proud owner of the XL Big Green Egg and a Weber 6 burner Summit. The Green Egg is an excellent smoker and worth every penny but get the big one. Easy to start and you can get some great accessories for it. I did a 16 hour pulled pork and it just fell off the bone. I've included some sites below that have excellent information. I did check out the Keg smoker but a little small and looks like more of a novelty. Also go to BBQ on the Bow in September to check out some great smokin'. I'll also say the service for the BGE is excellent. Had problems with the bands and hinges and replaced all for free. My friend cracked his (dropped it) and they replaced the part free of charge.

_www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
_www.nakedwhiz.com
Rautakallio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #66
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Public Service Announcement: I bought the last two Spolumbo’s Corizo sausages from the Creekside Co-Op this aft...guess what’s for dinner tonight!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #67
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
When cooking a whole chick on the BBq, do you follow the same instructions as with an oven with temp and cook time/weight?
It's similar, but you inevitably lose a lot more heat opening the BBQ lid than you do opening an over door. Luckily there are a few ways to make sure you have a well cooked chicken.

The first, and most accurate way to check, is to use a thermometer. I used to feel noobish using one, but the best chefs in the world use meat thermometers, so I guess it can't be all that bad. For chicken, you want the breast to be 170º and the thigh to be ~175º.

Another way to check, if you're just cooking some legs or thighs, is to prick the meat at the thickest part and see if clear juices run out. This method can be a bit iffy though if the meat was frozen.

Personally, if I'm doing small pieces, I estimate, if I'm doing a whole bird, I use a thermometer.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #68
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
It's similar, but you inevitably lose a lot more heat opening the BBQ lid than you do opening an over door.
That reminds me of one of the great lessons for BBQers: If you're lookin, you ain't cookin.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #69
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

This is the smoker I got my dad for fathers day.

It's a neat little unit. It's fully electric and instead of using wood chips you use little pucks that you can pick up at any canadian tire. There's a heating element at the bottom that heats the smoker and then a little hot plate that burns the puck to create the smoke. After the puck is burnt out the dispenser automatically feeds another one onto the hot plate. They normally go for around $400 but i picked one up last year for $250. Best investment ever.
wpgflamesfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #70
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

^^^

The Bradley is a great unit if you don't have time to babysit. I used my cousins to smoke some salmon last fall. Basically you just load it up with disks and let it go. When the stack of disks is getting low add more.
The Coleman Smoker I have needs to be feed every 20 minutes or so but the cost of the apple chips are WAY lower than the Bradley disks.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #71
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread is seriously NSIH (Not Safe If hungry) and to stay on that theme, here is the most epic steak I have grilled:

And for you guys wondering how to bbq the beer can chicken:

Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #72
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been slowly rebuilding a Vermont Castings grill over the winter. Thanks to this thread, I now have motivation to get it done.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #73
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another BBQ tip:

Don't dig in to your steak as soon as you take it off the grill. By letting it stand on a warm plate from about 5min, your steak will be juicier. I'm not sure the reason behind it, but to paraphrase Anthony Bourdain, something magical happens the 5min that makes a difference between a good and a great steak
Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #74
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Another BBQ tip:

Don't dig in to your steak as soon as you take it off the grill. By letting it stand on a warm plate from about 5min, your steak will be juicier. I'm not sure the reason behind it, but to paraphrase Anthony Bourdain, something magical happens the 5min that makes a difference between a good and a great steak
The juices absorb back into the meat, if you cut meat too soon the juices will run out of the meat, particularly a roast.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #75
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
I thought so
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #76
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=Sluggo;2470859]This thread is seriously NSIH (Not Safe If hungry) and to stay on that theme, here is the most epic steak I have grilled:

That looks good Sluggo, tasty little burnt edges... yum They were on sale last week 4.99 lb.

I just grilled rib steaks last night, normally I prefer T bones but they were great. Pretty hard to mess up a Rib steak, very forgiving.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #77
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
^
I thought so
In a more scientific way, when you heat up meat, the proteins coagulate and squeeze out some of the moisture inside their coiled structures and in the spaces between the individual molecules. As meat rests, this process is partially reversed; The protein molecules relax as they cool down and are able to reabsorb some moisture.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #78
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What's everyone's prefered method of cooking up a steak? I've got a New York waiting for me in the Fridge when I get home. I played around with lots of methods last year and really can't remember which was best and what timings worked out the best, how high to put the heat etc. I like em nice and medium rare.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #79
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
What's everyone's prefered method of cooking up a steak? I've got a New York waiting for me in the Fridge when I get home. I played around with lots of methods last year and really can't remember which was best and what timings worked out the best, how high to put the heat etc. I like em nice and medium rare.
I get the grill as hot as I can and sear the steak for 1-2 minutes per side. Then I reduce the direct heat and cook the steak for a grand total of about 9 minutes.

Usually works for me.

Touch the steak as little as possible
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #80
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Take the steak out before you preheat the grill to let them warm up a bit and sprinkle some Montreal steak spice on it. I like to rub just a bit olive oil on the steak, it helps sear and it will help the steak release from the grill but the flames will flare up a bit from the oil.

A very hot grill, 2 min, flip, another 2 min, flip 2 more min flip and turn the heat off and let it rest while you get everything ready, steaks should be last on the plate.

The steaks should still be soft to the touch if not get them off the grill.

Last edited by Pinner; 04-21-2010 at 02:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber