Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #41
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
This news item has sabres fans so excited that someone will actually give up decent assets for ristolainen.

His advanced stats are terrible and he's a ufa in 18 months.

That said he puts up points on the pp and I think he'd be fine in sheltered minutes if they arent asking for anything of value and take Derek Ryan and Rittich back to make the money work. Just basically swapping around close to replacement level players with similar overall cap hits. Would be easy to sign a veteran backup for minimum wage i think on a 1 year show me deal
I think I’d rather have Rittich and Ryan than Risto.

Rittich is a borderline starter and we can use a legit tandem for once. Compressed schedule and everything especially.

Why do we need? We have good depth on defence IMO.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
I see the Flames can never resist the call of "highly paid defenseman on the bottom pairing"
Examples?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #43
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the last few years? Michael Stone and Deryk Engelland come to mind.

Not that they were terrible players but when the bottom pair is playing so little every night it isn't a good idea to throw 3 million at a player playing limited minutes, especially on a Flames team that already have some contracts that affect our ability to bring in high end talent.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Don't forget Smid!

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #45
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tre is the typical really active investment manager who is constantly delivering below market index returns while looking busy.

I am not opposed to bringing in talent or actually making meaningful moves that really improve the team but I've kind of had it up to here with the overall performance of this team over the long term.

It's been an endless amount of signings, trades, PTO after PTO, revolving door of 7th D man, goalie carousal and more. We get all these reports about the level of competition at training camp and how Tre is always working the phones, in on every trade, working the draft day floor hard etc.

Sooner or later this club needs to win and win consistently and have a deep run. I am turning 36 years old in December and outside of a brief fling in 2015 and getting to 3rd base in 2004, I don't have too much in the way of playoff "experience"

I've drank more beers at the Dome in a weekend than I have witnessed playoff games won in my lifetime.

Sorry about the negative post but the losing all these years is brothering me bad. I was crushed last year with the Colorado series and I promised myself I wouldn't be hurt this year. Low and behold I decided to go against my better judgement and went all in with the Dallas series. That ended comically.

Either way, hopefully something positive comes out of 2021.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:09 AM   #46
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

Rittich is a borderline starter and we can use a legit tandem for once. Compressed schedule and everything especially.

We have adequate NHL depth this year. But Treliving likes to be 9 guys deep just to be extra extra sure that we can defend our way to victories when it matters.

Cause thats where we lost the battle in 2019 and 2020.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:16 AM   #47
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

I dont have anything against rittich or roy. But if you can't add a rhd of value via free agency but you can add a backup goalie that way for free, it might make sense to make this kind of swap to address the need if you think there is one. Sign jimmy Howard or Craig Anderson to play backup at close to minimum on a 1 year deal and pick up a cheap depth forward to replace roy, or even give someone like gawdin a chance.

Thats all assuming they really need a rhd, and I tend to agree with you that it's actually not crucial. But I do think kylington on his off side is nowhere near as good as ristolainen if risto doesn't have to play the hard minutes he did in Buffalo against top lines. And I think rittich and roy are pretty much overpaid replacement level players.

Not a crucial need though for sure. And the sabres probably want an actual return to move ristolainen despite his wage and contract status, which no one will pay.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 AM   #48
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I've drank more beers at the Dome in a weekend than I have witnessed playoff games won in my lifetime.

I chuckled. Assuming you mean live and in person.

Otherwise, what a weekend that must have been!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #49
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Dreger did say...
May as well close the thread.

Has Dreger ever had a Flames lead since the yappy former GM who would talk to anyone, got let go?

His breaking of the Jokinen trade before that, turning that into the huge debacle it was, is only because he was buddy with someone at the league office who sees some of these things before they come official.

This is secondhand or third hand rumours from agents that he’s hearing and passing off excitedly to try and whip up some long gone credibility when it comes to the Flames. Or it’s old news, a tip he got post Tanev but pre Nesterov, but runs with it anyways because it’s Dreger.

Last edited by browna; 10-30-2020 at 12:24 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #50
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
Kylington to Tampa for Cernak

both 23yrs old, swapping a LS for a RS
And how are we going to pay for Cernak’s services?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:48 AM   #51
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I chuckled. Assuming you mean live and in person.

Otherwise, what a weekend that must have been!

More of a tongue in cheek comment on my part to be honest. Given my age (35) and the 89 Cup a faint memory, I have pretty much just witnessed first round exits outside of 04 and 15.

A Friday and a Sunday homestand and 10-12 Dome beers a game. How many playoff games have we won since 1990 outside the one time anomaly of 04? It can't be much more than 25 or so.

Who even knows anymore? I'll let myself out
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #52
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year in a similar circumstance he grabbed Michael Stone. Perhaps he can grab Hamonic or even Stone again. If he grabbed Stone it would be like he had not even bought him out, just that he paid him for an extra year for Stone's steady presence.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:28 AM   #53
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think if the Flames had the opportunity to sign Vatanen, Rutta or Hamonic for Leivo money, which is all they can afford, they’d have done it already.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #54
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Stop wasting time and effort and just let Kylington ####ing play

He’s 100% better than anyone they pick up.
Reminds me of how people used to talk about Mark Jankowski three years ago.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He just added one of the better goaltenders in the league so I just don't understand his mindset here as the biggest issue by far next season will be where the goals are going to come from. If Gaudreau and Monahan can't get out of their funk this team is going to have a problem putting pucks in the net.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He just added one of the better goaltenders in the league so I just don't understand his mindset here as the biggest issue by far next season will be where the goals are going to come from. If Gaudreau and Monahan can't get out of their funk this team is going to have a problem putting pucks in the net.
He's hoping for bounce-back seasons from Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm, and continued improvement from Mangiapane, Dube, and Bennet. But overall, I think the goal is to become a better team defensively after finishing 17th in GA/GP last season. I expect that Ward, coming from the Bruins organization, helped set that direction.

The Flames finished 20th in GF/GP last season, so there's reason to be concerned about the offence. But the Islanders finished 22nd and went to the conference finals, and the Stars finished 26th and went to the Cup finals.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #57
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
More of a tongue in cheek comment on my part to be honest. Given my age (35) and the 89 Cup a faint memory, I have pretty much just witnessed first round exits outside of 04 and 15.

A Friday and a Sunday homestand and 10-12 Dome beers a game. How many playoff games have we won since 1990 outside the one time anomaly of 04? It can't be much more than 25 or so.

Who even knows anymore? I'll let myself out
10-12 dome beers a game? holy crap!
you'd have to carry me out of the place.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
He's hoping for bounce-back seasons from Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm, and continued improvement from Mangiapane, Dube, and Bennet. But overall, I think the goal is to become a better team defensively after finishing 17th in GA/GP last season. I expect that Ward, coming from the Bruins organization, helped set that direction.

The Flames finished 20th in GF/GP last season, so there's reason to be concerned about the offence. But the Islanders finished 22nd and went to the conference finals, and the Stars finished 26th and went to the Cup finals.
The Islanders are an outlier and not an organization I would want to emulate as the Flames don't have Barry Trotz behind the bench. As for the Stars that's another team I don't think you want to emulate as things just fell into place for them in that tournament and I don't believe their success is repeatable. I personally believe that Flames fans are overrating the abilities of Mangiapane and Dube. They aren't elite players that are going move the needle offensively enough to overcome the scoring void left if Monahan and Gaudreau can't bounce back.

I realize that this was a difficult offseason to make moves but I'm pretty disappointed that Treliving left the forward core intact as you can argue that the top 6 was the team's biggest issue more than goaltending. I'm sure Treliving has more up his sleeve but I will be pretty disappointed if he moves out assets for a bottom veteran bottom pairing defenseman.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Islanders are an outlier and not an organization I would want to emulate as the Flames don't have Barry Trotz behind the bench. As for the Stars that's another team I don't think you want to emulate as things just fell into place for them in that tournament and I don't believe their success is repeatable. I personally believe that Flames fans are overrating the abilities of Mangiapane and Dube. They aren't elite players that are going move the needle offensively enough to overcome the scoring void left if Monahan and Gaudreau can't bounce back.

I realize that this was a difficult offseason to make moves but I'm pretty disappointed that Treliving left the forward core intact as you can argue that the top 6 was the team's biggest issue more than goaltending. I'm sure Treliving has more up his sleeve but I will be pretty disappointed if he moves out assets for a bottom veteran bottom pairing defenseman.
TBF, there wasn’t really an easy path to overhauling the top six, like with goaltending, where there was a UFA available. And there’s no way a trade for a bottom pairing D impacts whether a deal to shake up the top line could have been made.

Shaking up the top six most likely meant trading Gaudreau plus another guy for space to sign Hall, and then it’s not clear Hall was interested. Aside from that it’d mean a player for player trade, and I didn't see anything that would have improved the top line out there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #60
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I honestly believe the plan to improve the top 6 was Josh Anderson, but Montreal won that tug of war.

Now it will be line shuffling most likely.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote