Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #4001
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Monahan + Kylington for Laine??

Sign Vatanen as the vet RD to play with Vali??

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Laine
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Dube - Bennett - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon
Nordstrom, Robinson, Gawdin

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Vatanen
Nesterov, Mackey first call-up

Markstrom
Rittich
Going to have to cut some salary to make that work.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #4002
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I still have this feeling that Sean Monahan is going to get traded at some point before the start of the season.
There have been unsubstantiated rumblings on HF that the Flames and Rangers have talked Monahan.

Not a deal I would want.

DeAngelo (gross) and Buchnavich (50% retained)
For
Monahan

Works cap wise
Old 10-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #4003
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I really dislike all the Monahan smoke.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #4004
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't do it tre.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #4005
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Trading Monahan would be hilariously on-brand for the Flames. Whenever they have a 1C that's just not quite good enough, it seems their only solution is to trade him away (and, as a result, run with an even worse 1C).

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #4006
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There have been unsubstantiated rumblings on HF that the Flames and Rangers have talked Monahan.
Not a deal I would want.
For
Monahan
Works cap wise
Every single Rangers fan wants to get rid of Deangelo. He is their Bennett and Kylington, only without the redeeming qualities. He's in every thought of a trade.

The reality is that every GM talking to the Rangers is going to start a conversation with Lundquist, Kravtsov or Chytl. I'm confident Tre would demand at least one of these players in any return for Monahan or Johnny.

Buchnevich and Kravtsov plus 1st 2022, and you're talking. The Rangers can find another home for their arrogant version of Ghostisbehere.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #4007
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Not a deal I would want.

For
Monahan

Works cap wise
Yeah that's awful for Calgary - and the Flames won't touch DeAngelo. Doesn't fit the mold.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #4008
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Monahan + Kylington for Laine??

Sign Vatanen as the vet RD to play with Vali??

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Laine
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Dube - Bennett - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon
Nordstrom, Robinson, Gawdin

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Vatanen
Nesterov, Mackey first call-up

Markstrom
Rittich
The Calgary Flames are back 🥰
Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #4009
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
As I know a few posters have mentioned, it wouldn't be crazy to think that Monahan would be better suited on the wing. He could be the trigger man, Johnny the puckhandler (with Lindholm taking some of the burden) and Lindholm the responsible, 200 ft. center.

Gives Bennett the chance to solidify his position at center.

Maybe Monahan is still having issues with his hands/wrists? Putting him in the wing be a better option!
Old 10-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #4010
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Monahan
Lindholm
Bennett
Gawdin

Backlund out for a top-six RW
Ryan out for cap space
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #4011
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund was the Flames best forward in the 2nd half of the season IMO
Old 10-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #4012
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m as hard on Backlund as anyone (because I think he can be even better) but think trading him would be a huge mistake.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #4013
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Prior to the draft/free agency, I really wanted to see Gaudreau traded as I felt he would bring the most back and it would be a retool on the fly. Now, as the dust settles and it appears less likely that there's anything decent out there, I'm coming around to who we've got but wouldn't mind seeing some line shuffling.

Now, I haven't waded in here since the forehead/height measuring thing a while back so perhaps someone has mentioned it, but has anyone else thought about getting Gaudreau and Bennett together to see if that works? I also mentioned in another thread that I think Monahan has become too reliant on Gaudreau and I'd love to see them separated.

My thoughts:

Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube
Mangiapane - Backlund - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon
Nordstrom/Gawdin/Robinson

Gio - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington/Nesterov
Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

I think Tkachuk with that top line really changes the dynamic. Not a lot of flash but hopefully more consistency and useable anywhere on the ice. The next two lines are really 2a/2b in my mind. You play them in different situations, the Bennett line getting the majority of match-ups and offensive zone starts with Backlund's mainly defensive zone starts. Including Leivo, lots of options to tinker with the right side on that line to have it suit what is required (ie. more offense - perhaps Leivo, more defensive - Simon?Nordstrom?). The 4th line is so flexible now with all the seemingly good (at least on paper) bottom 6 guys that you can mix/match as guys go hot/cold.

On defense, there is the clearcut top pairing, with an up and coming 2nd pairing and then a 3rd pairing that may develop into an excellent duo and I think it's worth giving Kylington a shot on the R side.

In goal, nothing surprising there.

I'd be pretty excited to see something like that on opening day.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FusionX For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #4014
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I’m as hard on Backlund as anyone (because I think he can be even better) but think trading him would be a huge mistake.
He does lead the league in missed glorious chances...guy could score 50
Old 10-29-2020, 10:17 PM   #4015
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Backlund, but I would be fine with trading him, because I think his contract will look worse over time. Cap space is extremely valuable right now. For what Backlund earns, you could probably sign both Hoffman and Duclair on short-steal contracts.
There would be some growing pains, but if he could fetch a return, it would be worth it. I think some offense would be lost if Lindholm is forced to stay at center, but Hoffman would more than compensate.

With that said, Backlund basically had the same production as Monahan this year, so he hasn't really shown signs of slowing down yet. Backlund was also one of the better forwards in the playoffs.
Plus, there is some value in continuity. he seems to be one of those players that simply makes the team better - the team has a higher chance of winning when he's on the ice.
It would be kind of cool if Backlund retired as a Flame and played more than 1000 games for the organization.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #4016
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I love Backlund, but I would be fine with trading him, because I think his contract will look worse over time. Cap space is extremely valuable right now. For what Backlund earns, you could probably sign both Hoffman and Duclair on short-steal contracts.
There would be some growing pains, but if he could fetch a return, it would be worth it. I think some offense would be lost if Lindholm is forced to stay at center, but Hoffman would more than compensate.

With that said, Backlund basically had the same production as Monahan this year, so he hasn't really shown signs of slowing down yet. Backlund was also one of the better forwards in the playoffs.
Plus, there is some value in continuity. he seems to be one of those players that simply makes the team better - the team has a higher chance of winning when he's on the ice.
It would be kind of cool if Backlund retired as a Flame and played more than 1000 games for the organization.
You went full circle there.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 04:03 AM   #4017
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

We need a real piece up front on the right side. We have to give up something substantial to make that happen. We also have to send out a big contract in order to afford it. It doesn’t make sense to trade Gaudreau or Tkachuck to do it, as we’d just be trading a hole on the right side for a hole on the left. That means it’s either Monahan, Lindholm or Backlund. Of the three of those options, I’d rather keep the two guys in their mid-20s and trade the 30 year old who still has 4 years left at 5.5M per.

I’m just saying. I like Backlund too, but logic is logic. Lindholm is more than capable of taking Backlund’s spot.

Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk
Mangiapane Lindholm RW
Lucic Bennett Dube
Simon Gawdin Leivo

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-30-2020 at 04:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #4018
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
We need a real piece up front on the right side. We have to give up something substantial to make that happen. We also have to send out a big contract in order to afford it. It doesn’t make sense to trade Gaudreau or Tkachuck to do it, as we’d just be trading a hole on the right side for a hole on the left. That means it’s either Monahan, Lindholm or Backlund. Of the three of those options, I’d rather keep the two guys in their mid-20s and trade the 30 year old who still has 4 years left at 5.5M per.

I’m just saying. I like Backlund too, but logic is logic. Lindholm is more than capable of taking Backlund’s spot.

Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk
Mangiapane Lindholm RW
Lucic Bennett Dube
Simon Gawdin Leivo
Tkachuk is almost never played on the RW. I’d imagine it’s because he doesn’t like it. And he had zero success with Johnny and Monahan (or with Gaudreau and Lindholm)

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...atthew-tkachuk
Old 10-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #4019
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post
Prior to the draft/free agency, I really wanted to see Gaudreau traded as I felt he would bring the most back and it would be a retool on the fly. Now, as the dust settles and it appears less likely that there's anything decent out there, I'm coming around to who we've got but wouldn't mind seeing some line shuffling.

Now, I haven't waded in here since the forehead/height measuring thing a while back so perhaps someone has mentioned it, but has anyone else thought about getting Gaudreau and Bennett together to see if that works? I also mentioned in another thread that I think Monahan has become too reliant on Gaudreau and I'd love to see them separated.

My thoughts:

Lucic - Ryan - Simon

Gio - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

I think Tkachuk with that top line really changes the dynamic. Not a lot of flash but hopefully more consistency and useable anywhere on the ice. The next two lines are really 2a/2b in my mind. You play them in different situations, the Bennett line getting the majority of match-ups and offensive zone starts with Backlund's mainly defensive zone starts. Including Leivo, lots of options to tinker with the right side on that line to have it suit what is required (ie. more offense - perhaps Leivo, more defensive - Simon?Nordstrom?). The 4th line is so flexible now with all the seemingly good (at least on paper) bottom 6 guys that you can mix/match as guys go hot/cold.

On defense, there is the clearcut top pairing, with an up and coming 2nd pairing and then a 3rd pairing that may develop into an excellent duo and I think it's worth giving Kylington a shot on the R side.

Yep this is almost exactly what I have brought up in the past as something I'd like to see too. I think the only real option, if we are separating Gaudreau and Monahan, is to play Johnny with Bennett. I don't think Backlund is a good fit based on him needing the puck on his stick just as much as johnny plus being put in defensive situations.

That just leaves Bennett and Dube who I think would be the perfect pair. Speed to separate the defence and give johnny the puck, plus two guys who like having the puck on their stick to take some pressure off Johnny having to always be the one carrying it into the zone.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #4020
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post

My thoughts:

Lucic - Ryan - Simon

Gio - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

I like it as long as Bennett has a SH% closer to what it was in the playoffs than what it was in the regular season. Both Bennett and Dube are harder on the puck than Monahan and Lindholm and should create space for Johnny, who can feed Dube for one-timers while Bennett crashes the net and cleans up the garbage. They both play with pace, which should also open up more space for Gaudreau.

Having a player who is as hard on the puck as Tkachuk will probably also help the Monahan-Lindholm line, although this line has two players who make their living in front of the net, so it does raise the question about who is going to be the set-up person and who is going to be the shooter.

That third line looks elite for where they are slotted (and finally has a right-hand shot), and I hope one of our prospects call fill the RW slot on the fourth line, which also looks like a big improvement over last year.

Finally, I really like the idea of trying Kylington on the right side. Like Brodie, he has played on that side the majority of his career, and playing the off side seems to fit his skill set. I would almost consider dropping Gio to the third pair and playing him with Kylington, as he has experience playing with a partner playing on the off side, and that combination seems to work well. He can help with Kylington's defensive lapses. Who knows, maybe Kylington will turn out to be the next Brodie. And with less 5 on 5 minutes, Gio should be able to stay fresher and healthier, and he may age better as a result. If you want to give him more minutes, he can be on PK1 and PP2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread