Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #461
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Xbox Series X unboxing:

Xbox Series S unboxing:

After viewing all 3 unboxing videos, I'd say the Series X box presentation/packaging is pretty cool.

Can't wait to get both of mine (PS5 & Series X)
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #462
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently a small difference GPU's between the Sony and Xbox consoles have now been pretty much confirmed.

Edit: not completely confirmed. Apparently the info is from a Sony Engineer

Sony's next gen console has a GPU that is a hybrid RDNA1 and RDNA2 based architecture while both Xbox console GPU's are strictly RDNA2 based architecture.

Will be interesting to see, if it all, what this does for graphics on each console. But the latest AMD announcement had RDNA 2 2x faster and efficient than RDNA1.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-29-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #463
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Apparently a small difference GPU's between the Sony and Xbox consoles have now been pretty much confirmed.

Edit: not completely confirmed. Apparently the info is from a Sony Engineer

Sony's next gen console has a GPU that is a hybrid RDNA1 and RDNA2 based architecture while both Xbox console GPU's are strictly RDNA2 based architecture.

Will be interesting to see, if it all, what this does for graphics on each console. But the latest AMD announcement had RDNA 2 2x faster and efficient than RDNA1.
Where did you see this? Anything I've seen says they use similar GPUs.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:31 AM   #464
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Where did you see this? Anything I've seen says they use similar GPUs.
There was a tweet in May I believe by an apparent senior Sony engineer about using a hybrid architecture.

But the following link does give us some info on what I'm saying:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75946...n-5/index.html

Quote:
AMD officially unveiled their new RDNA 2 architecture with the new Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards in the last 24 hours, and now Microsoft is coming out big noting its next-gen Xbox Series X and S consoles.

Microsoft posted a blog on its Xbox Wire website, written by Technical Fellow Andrew Goossen and Director of Program Management Jason Ronald that congratulate AMD on the RDNA 2 unveiling and dive a little into how it powers the next-gen Xbox consoles.

In the post, Microsoft explains that the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles "are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today"

Last edited by Since1984; 10-30-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #465
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just one developer but the Dirt 5 lead designer says that the difference between the two GPUs really won't matter that much other than maybe making optimization easier.

https://screenrant.com/ps5-xbox-comp...tflops-dirt-5/
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #466
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It's just one developer but the Dirt 5 lead designer says that the difference between the two GPUs really won't matter that much other than maybe making optimization easier.

https://screenrant.com/ps5-xbox-comp...tflops-dirt-5/
The article makes sense but I don't think the Dirt5 dev is speaking to the ability of the XBOX GPU taking full advantage of complete RDNA2 compatibility vs PS5's partial RDNA2 compat. He is speaking more towards the GPU's teraflops and how those won't make a huge difference. Yet, looking back at the One X v. PS4 Pro, those 1.8 teraflops allowed games to look and run better on the One X.

I am sure we won't see a noticeable difference for at least a couple years.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-30-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #467
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think first party games made specifically for PS5 will still look fantastic and it's the multiplatform games on PC, PS, XB where One X games may run closer to PC.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #468
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cancelled my Xbox xxx preorder.

This 3080 and the new LG with G-sync is so ridiculous for PC gaming. It's a complete different level of gaming experience.

With no platform exclusive at all it's basically redundant other than maybe the "old" elite controller for pairing.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #469
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

As usual, I am 3.5 years behind everyone so I just bought a Switch. It rules. That's all.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #470
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
As usual, I am 3.5 years behind everyone so I just bought a Switch. It rules. That's all.
Did you get a glass screen protector? I would recommended one with the screen being plastic scratch wise.

If you are comfortable with it, you might be interested in this too for a real dpad:

https://www.amazon.ca/BASSTOP-Contro...4077751&sr=8-5
Old 10-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #471
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Did you get a glass screen protector? I would recommended one with the screen being plastic scratch wise.
How rough are you on your switch that you need to worry about scratching? I haven't exactly been careful with mine (it's currently sitting on my floor, and I've done things like jamming it in my bag when I was on planes in the past, etc) and don't have any scratching on the screen.

Last edited by Mazrim; 10-30-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #472
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
How rough are you on your switch that you need to worry about scratching? I haven't exactly been careful with mine (it's currently sitting on my floor, and I've done things like jamming it in my bag when I was on planes in the past, etc) and don't have any scratching on the screen.
Not rough at all, but I normally do throw on screen protectors whether it's for a phone or the Vita or Switch. Especially if you dock the latter in the snug dock inevitably rubbing it against the screen over and over again.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo...k/comment/7042

With the Switch having a plastic screen and the initial investment of $200-400, a few extra dollars seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #473
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There was an issue of scratching during docking, I can't confirm that as I've had a screen protector on since day 1.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #474
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cancelled my Xbox xxx preorder.

This 3080 and the new LG with G-sync is so ridiculous for PC gaming. It's a complete different level of gaming experience.

With no platform exclusive at all it's basically redundant other than maybe the "old" elite controller for pairing.
Should have offered it up to someone on here that may have missed out on a pre-order!

I have heard great things about to 3080 and at the same time I have heard some horror stories as well. Some even go as far as uninstalling it and going back to the 2070TI.

As far as the TV, nothing beats LG OLED's
Old 10-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #475
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Should have offered it up to someone on here that may have missed out on a pre-order!

I have heard great things about to 3080 and at the same time I have heard some horror stories as well. Some even go as far as uninstalling it and going back to the 2070TI.

As far as the TV, nothing beats LG OLED's
Yeah, I thought about it and I normally would have. But I wasn't sure if meeting up with people for luxury electronics during a pandemic would be very responsible. I'll still link limited video stuff on here to help people buy it themselves when I can though.

I did break that rule for Raekwon and an extra 3080 but the dang thing showed up faster than I thought and couldn't cancel it in time.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #476
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, why would you do this?

You're a monster!
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #477
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, why would you do this?

You're a monster!
My bedside table is too small! When I'm done chilling with Picross before going to sleep, I just put it on the ground instead. Sometimes it ends up face down...whoops.

I took a closer look at my screen just now and I have two small scratches at the same height on either side of the screen. I imagine that's because I tilt the Switch when pulling out due to how my TV stand works. I had to really look to find them.

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #478
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about it and I normally would have. But I wasn't sure if meeting up with people for luxury electronics during a pandemic would be very responsible. I'll still link limited video stuff on here to help people buy it themselves when I can though.

I did break that rule for Raekwon and an extra 3080 but the dang thing showed up faster than I thought and couldn't cancel it in time.
Thank god for fast shipping, lol. On another note it has begun, bestbuy charged me for my PS5 controller and charger and they arrive on Tuesday.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:26 PM   #479
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got my extra PS5 controller yesterday. It’s nice! Feels much better in the hands than any of the previous PS controllers.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #480
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I got my extra PS5 controller yesterday. It’s nice! Feels much better in the hands than any of the previous PS controllers.
Saw a picture on Reddit, if you look closely the grip pattern on the controllers are tiny button symbols.