Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Really? I tried watching episodes of both Arrow and The Flash, and they were cringe material. They are absolutely terrible compared to any of Marvel's Netflix stuff (save Iron Fist)
They have different audiences. Personally, I can't stand that WB Smallville type stuff. It has a huge audience though.

DC does do a lot of things very well though. Their animated work is top notch. They also have a bunch of other movies I consider great:

Dark Knight
V for Vendetta
Watchmen

It's obviously an issue of taste and audience, but I prefer all of these movies to anything that either studio has put out recently. I did really like Constantine, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Return, and Wonder Woman, but they aren't on the same tier as those 3 for me. If yo u want to go back further Tim Burton's two Batman films and the Richard Donner cuts of the Superman films were great too.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That Batman cartoon on netflix where he's in old time England was tremendously bad. Even the killing joke cartoon wasn't very good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #23
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched the Death of Superman film wow was it ever great! I can't recommend this enough,the fight scenes were amazing and so brutal. They actually allowed Doomsday to be Doomsday and just be this unstoppable monster killing everyone near him.

Ben Affleck is set to produce The Batman film maybe he's not done in the Batcave
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #24
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Death of Superman was fantastic. One of the better DC animated movies.

Be sure to watch the post-credits scenes. Death is just the first movie. Reign of the Supermen is the follow-up movie coming out in early 2019.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #25
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was a bit disappointed they didn't stick to the script with Death of Superman and use the actual JLA characters at the time. The scene with Booster Gold getting smashed over the tree stump and his power suit giving out in the comics was so well done. Then getting his head smashed in a car door. But it was still very well done. I like that it wasn't overly long either.

The Death of Superman arc is still one of the most well done in the history of the DCU. That fight was just totally brutal.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I was a bit disappointed they didn't stick to the script with Death of Superman and use the actual JLA characters at the time. The scene with Booster Gold getting smashed over the tree stump and his power suit giving out in the comics was so well done. Then getting his head smashed in a car door. But it was still very well done. I like that it wasn't overly long either.

The Death of Superman arc is still one of the most well done in the history of the DCU. That fight was just totally brutal.
That car door thing in retrospect is pretty funny. A totally 90s street gangster type of thing to do. Doomsday might as well have "curb stomped" people.

Hilarious watching a character who's capable of knocking over buildings with a single blow delicately open a car door and slam a heroes head in it.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doomsday is one of my favorite villains but am I the only one who prefers him in his containment suit? Looks so much more menacing when you don't know who's under there.

Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm still angry about the whole death of superman thing

Go out and get it fans, this is the ultimate collector thing, were killing off superman for good.

Doomsday comes down destroys everything and beats superman to death. They have some great followup, the funeral, the world mourning, a world without superman. Unbelievable. bought multiple copies of each. One to read, one to seal up and collect because of value, one to maybe hand down to my kid if that ever happened.

Then we get the worst crap ever only a few months later with the return of superman.

What's the lesson here kiddies. Never believe that a major super hero is going to die, or a major comic character is going to die because the money making guys, they don't have the balls to leave em dead.

Look at the shock not that long ago when they killed off Archie Andrews, in the life with Archie series. That was amazingly well done. Archie saves a gay senator from death but takes a bullet. The scene of his death was amazingly well done and emotional. His last words to Betty and Veronica "Ive always loved you". His friends weeping as he died. What a great sendoff for a character, as well the publisher saying Archie's fate was the same in both realities.

Then instead of following that narrative which could have been amazing and really challenged the creativity of the writers and artists, It turns out to be a reboot, and they also did the stupid after life with archie.

At least with Sledgehammer one of the most under rated tv series ever, they killed the character off as part of a bigger joke.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Really? I tried watching episodes of both Arrow and The Flash, and they were cringe material. They are absolutely terrible compared to any of Marvel's Netflix stuff (save Iron Fist)

I can't say Flash is any good, but when Arrow is good, it's actually pretty damn good.
It has a couple excellent seasons (2 and 5), a couple solid, but inconsistent seasons (1 and 3) and some absolute garbage too (Season 4). I haven't gotten around to watching the rest of season 6 yet though IIRC I wasn't really enjoying it. I would say it's worth watching for the good parts, though I'm not going to pretend there isn't some cringe in between.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-10-2018 at 12:10 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm still angry about the whole death of superman thing

Go out and get it fans, this is the ultimate collector thing, were killing off superman for good.

Doomsday comes down destroys everything and beats superman to death. They have some great followup, the funeral, the world mourning, a world without superman. Unbelievable. bought multiple copies of each. One to read, one to seal up and collect because of value, one to maybe hand down to my kid if that ever happened.

Then we get the worst crap ever only a few months later with the return of superman.

What's the lesson here kiddies. Never believe that a major super hero is going to die, or a major comic character is going to die because the money making guys, they don't have the balls to leave em dead.

Look at the shock not that long ago when they killed off Archie Andrews, in the life with Archie series. That was amazingly well done. Archie saves a gay senator from death but takes a bullet. The scene of his death was amazingly well done and emotional. His last words to Betty and Veronica "Ive always loved you". His friends weeping as he died. What a great sendoff for a character, as well the publisher saying Archie's fate was the same in both realities.

Then instead of following that narrative which could have been amazing and really challenged the creativity of the writers and artists, It turns out to be a reboot, and they also did the stupid after life with archie.

At least with Sledgehammer one of the most under rated tv series ever, they killed the character off as part of a bigger joke.

You still read Archie comics? They still make Archie comics?

I dont even know what to say to any of this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes but I'm still completely masculine about it. What else are you going to read in a long grocery store lineup when the old people are pulling out pennies and coupons.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #32
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not sure how to embed but cast of Back to the Future today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmY89dLh..._state_control

Man they all still look good!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Man I had such a thing for Leia Thompson.

And Tom Wilson was one of the best video game characters ever.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #34
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Captain Marvel Teaser
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan made.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #36
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's a fan trailer but it's a damn good one.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #37
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Not sure how to embed but cast of Back to the Future today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmY89dLh..._state_control

Man they all still look good!
Christopher Lloyd looks almost like he did in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.. amazing.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Death of Superman was fantastic. One of the better DC animated movies.

Be sure to watch the post-credits scenes. Death is just the first movie. Reign of the Supermen is the follow-up movie coming out in early 2019.
Dwight from the Office is Lex Luthor. That alone is worth an extra star.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Christopher Lloyd looks almost like he did in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.. amazing.
It’s almost as if he has some sort of machine that allows him to travel through time. Most likely in the form of a vehicle. An I’ll fated sports car perhaps.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #40
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Great Scott! You might be on to something Twilly!!

Infinity War is out today on Blu Ray, Haza!!! Can't wait to watch it again haven't seen it since the theater. I don't think I have been this excited for a video release since Jurassic Park.