Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #2241
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

This likely would have triggered a saw stop due to its precision but I didn’t even bleed. Just a friendly reminder from my saw to say don’t get lazy.

Id like to own a saw stop one day.

On another note I busted a pin in my Festool sander this afternoon. Was happy to find out it’s and easy fix and should only cost be about 20 bucks in the end. Have to wait for the part so all sanding is on hold until the end of the week. ¡No bueno!

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #2242
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

Kind of yard question, we had a rose bush and its roots are spreading and sprouts keep coming up in the lawn. We usually just mow over them, but they feel terrible if you step on them. How can you either stop these or kill them.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #2243
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Kind of yard question, we had a rose bush and its roots are spreading and sprouts keep coming up in the lawn. We usually just mow over them, but they feel terrible if you step on them. How can you either stop these or kill them.
You could try Poison. The band, not the chemical.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #2244
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can I find the "building code"?

The previous homeowner of my house built an embarrassingly ugly and unsafe deck. The plan is to tear it down and build from scratch.

I have no problem building the thing myself, and I know most of the rules that are posted on Calgary.ca (like piles need to be 4ft deep, and be six inches above grade).

However, things like are 2x8s acceptable or does it have to be 2x10? Spacing of piles? Span allowance between beams? What about those post holder thingys that look like a concrete pyramid?

Also, if you come dig post holes for me, your payment in beers increases exponentially. One hole = 2 beers. 2 holes = 2+4 beers. 3 holes = 2+4+8 beers, etc.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #2245
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

The previous homeowner of my house built an embarrassingly ugly and unsafe deck. The plan is to tear it down and build from scratch.

I have no problem building the thing myself, and I know most of the rules that are posted on Calgary.ca (like piles need to be 4ft deep, and be six inches above grade).

However, things like are 2x8s acceptable or does it have to be 2x10? Spacing of piles? Span allowance between beams? What about those post holder thingys that look like a concrete pyramid?

Also, if you come dig post holes for me, your payment in beers increases exponentially. One hole = 2 beers. 2 holes = 2+4 beers. 3 holes = 2+4+8 beers, etc.

I think Rona will draw up deck plans for you with everything you need to know about spans and dimensions if you buy your deck material from them. Size and set backs I think will be clarified when you get your permit from the city. I think they also have a brochure on that.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #2246
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city has a chat where you can talk to them, or call them. They won't tell you exactly what to do, but can give you guidance. I don't believe there is specific requirements for things like 2x8 vs 2x10 for a deck from the city, but you could search for recommendations. It will be the same here as elsewhere for safe loading.

Those pyramid things are probably no good, you will need piles. I believe you can use screw piles but that will add to your cost. If you have to dig holes, save yourself the suckage and rent a gas post hole digger. You will need a friend.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #2247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, good call on letting Rona or Home Depot do it, just double check everything, and if it isn't a rectangle they don't always recommenced the right board lengths for minimum wastage. Like if you have a 4 foot walkway, they gave my buddy 6 ft's, instead of 8 ft's so there was loads of waste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #2248
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, good call on letting Rona or Home Depot do it, just double check everything, and if it isn't a rectangle they don't always recommenced the right board lengths for minimum wastage. Like if you have a 4 foot walkway, they gave my buddy 6 ft's, instead of 8 ft's so there was loads of waste.
I wasn't sure if I trusted that service. I find most associates at home stores to be kinda dolty.

I'll give it a try though.

Probably will rent the auger. Says $61 per four hours, and I'm sure I could dig 4 to 6 holes if needed in that time. A case of beer these days is damn near $50 anyway.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #2249
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as you don't run into boulders 4 hours should be enough.

Depends where you are in the city, but the Rona on Edmonton Trail has some mostly competent people at the service desk. Can't speak for anywhere else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #2250
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where in the city are you? The gas powered augers are useless in many parts of the city due to the subsoil.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #2251
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

You will take more then 4 hours because you will 100% guaranteed hit some rocks.

Also don't even bother dealing with Home Depot or Lowes. Just go directly to a lumber yard and have them build your package and do the design. Plus their lumber is much better quality then the junk HD and Lowes are peddling.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #2252
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Where in the city are you? The gas powered augers are useless in many parts of the city due to the subsoil.
Mahogany in the deep south.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #2253
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You won't find the building code accessible for free and it won't be of any help for a deck anyways.

What you need is Canadian Wood Council span tables. But doing structural calculations on your own is always asterisk at your own risk.

http://cwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/201...Span-Guide.pdf

Also if your deck isn't higher than 2' above grade then you don't require a building permit for it.

The one thing I've always prescribed on low decks is wrap the whole thing in either a couple steps or a planter so you don't have a squat deck surrounded by eye level railing.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #2254
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

The span tables mentioned above are great, but a quick and dirty rule is "maximum span in feet = 1.5 x board width in inches" So a 2x10 can have a maximum span for the joists of 15 feet.

The past couple of decks we've built we have used helical screw piles instead of regular concrete piles. Won't be going back anytime soon. Yes, they are more expensive (about $250/pile installed) but make life so much easier. We've had no issues with rocks when having the piles put and there is no waiting around for concrete to set up, etc. Leveling them is easy as well. Just shoot level mark and cut the posts to that height. The ones we've used have a variety of plates for the top and all can be further adjusted to dial in the height. Company we used for our screw piles was "TechnoPost"

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited by Treycal; 07-03-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Picture not showing up
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #2255
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My buddy runs the technopost here, shoot me a pm if you want his number.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #2256
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mahogany in the deep south.
Ah, a wild jackrabbit should be enough then to dig out the soil.

Seriously, I helped my BIL build his deck in Copperfield and the subsoil was so easy to go through. We had it done fairly quickly. It was about 12 holes we had to do using a gas powered auger.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #2257
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ah, a wild jackrabbit should be enough then to dig out the soil.

Seriously, I helped my BIL build his deck in Copperfield and the subsoil was so easy to go through. We had it done fairly quickly. It was about 12 holes we had to do using a gas powered auger.
Did my parents post holes for their fence up in Hawkwood about ten years ago. It was horrid. We rented an auger, and the damn thing kept deflecting due to the number of boulders. Ended up having to dig them by hand. Pulled out a boulder twice the size of a large watermelon....

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #2258
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
My buddy runs the technopost here, shoot me a pm if you want his number.
I think I'm going to do traditional piles. The deck won't be higher than 3ft at the high point, so traditional will suffice. Plus, money. 80lb concrete is only 4 bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #2259
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Did my parents post holes for their fence up in Hawkwood about ten years ago. It was horrid. We rented an auger, and the damn thing kept deflecting due to the number of boulders. Ended up having to dig them by hand. Pulled out a boulder twice the size of a large watermelon....
Yeah I'm up north too, I once had a boulder that size pop up from the ground after winter. I couldn't move it so left it there.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #2260
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think I'm going to do traditional piles. The deck won't be higher than 3ft at the high point, so traditional will suffice. Plus, money. 80lb concrete is only 4 bucks.
Have you calculated how much concrete you will need for pilings?

Screw piles are ~30$ a piece and if you can auger for a piling without hitting rocks you can easily put in screw piles. I put ten in the ground with a friend in a little over an hour. Plus they are adjustable after the fact in case your soil moves a bit. We've had a few dry years and I have to raise my deck close to an inch.

If you insist on concrete piles and you have the room for a bobcat, just get one to come over and drill your holes, it will take him a few minutes and save your back. I had a fence line done once and it cost me a couple hundred and was done in an hour.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote