Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #141
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the season just now and pretty meh for me. Quite a lot of filler and the writing and acting just not right enough to keep you interested when the plot is not advancing. For just 8 episodes, you’d hope the show would keep up the momentum.

The concept is so original and some of the characters (Homelander, Deep) so memorable that it keeps your interest. I’m just left feeling it could be so much more.

The references to American politics are good for a chuckle.

As for the poster a few pages back that suggested 20% of Americans would support nazis...my God.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #142
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My god?

As in, you really think 20% would. Or
As in, really you think only 20%

I think if you were to give me over under odds on how many Americans would eagerly jump on a ugenics bandwagon, 20% feels about right. Not sure if id be over or under on that.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #143
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
My god?

I think if you were to give me over under odds on how many Americans would eagerly jump on a ugenics bandwagon, 20% feels about right. Not sure if id be over or under on that.
I don’t have the same view of Americans as you.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:24 PM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t have the same view of Americans as you.
I'm sorry...I didnt realize you've been in stasis for the last several years.

You know...during which neo-Nazis have done some terrible things and the President shrugged his shoulders and said it was all cool.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #145
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm sorry...I didnt realize you've been in stasis for the last several years.

You know...during which neo-Nazis have done some terrible things and the President shrugged his shoulders and said it was all cool.
I haven't been in stasis, thank you. Perhaps you should start a thread espousing the view that 1 out of 5 Americans are nazi supporters so I could know to stay away from it.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #146
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I haven't been in stasis, thank you. Perhaps you should start a thread espousing the view that 1 out of 5 Americans are nazi supporters so I could know to stay away from it.
Sorry, I think we got off on the wrong foot here. If you dont like the show thats totally fine. I can understand that its not for everyone.

My apologies for being sarcastic and rude.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sorry, I think we got off on the wrong foot here. If you dont like the show thats totally fine. I can understand that its not for everyone.

My apologies for being sarcastic and rude.
We're all good. I admittedly get defensive when I see what I perceive as blanket or derogatory comments about American citizens and can get overly sensitive in that regard. The comment that I originally responded to was the poster's objection to Stormfront being rejected by the American public when she was outed as a Nazi, and that in their view Americans would be more supportive of her Nazism.

So that's really kind of outside the show. I thought in general how Stormfront manipulates social media and underlying anger among the populace was interesting.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #148
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
My god?

Non-hispanic white Americans only make up 60% of the population. There's no way 1 in 3 of them would support white supremacy.

You realize that people make the same false generalizations about Albertans? Alberta is more right wing than the USA as a whole.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #149
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Non-hispanic white Americans only make up 60% of the population. There's no way 1 in 3 of them would support white supremacy.

You realize that people make the same false generalizations about Albertans? Alberta is more right wing than the USA as a whole.
I think people need to read a lot more history.

I'm not saying 1/3 of white Americans are actively looking to engage in Neo-Nazi activities on their own accord right now.

But I am extremely affirmatively saying well over 1/5 of total Americans would gladly go along with and explicit Neo-Nazi message if that's the direction their team turns towards, and this isn't anything special about Americans or this point in history.

In fact I would argue a good 30%+ of Americans have already taken that bargain, and would gleefully start burning crosses if that's the direction dear leader wanted to go, I frankly find it shocking that this a controversially opinion.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #150
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I think people need to read a lot more history.

I'm not saying 1/3 of white Americans are actively looking to engage in Neo-Nazi activities on their own accord right now.

But I am extremely affirmatively saying well over 1/5 of total Americans would gladly go along with and explicit Neo-Nazi message if that's the direction their team turns towards, and this isn't anything special about Americans or this point in history.

In fact I would argue a good 30%+ of Americans have already taken that bargain, and would gleefully start burning crosses if that's the direction dear leader wanted to go, I frankly find it shocking that this a controversially opinion.
What we're talking about is that if a celebrity was outed a full on Nazi whether the American public would still support them.

Firstly as I pointed out, only about 60% of Americans are non Hispanic white.. You'd assume the minorities would be against Nazism.

Next even among the most right wing groups they'd be against fascism got the simple reason that many are libertarian and in it for the rights. You know who's against rights Nazis. Even among groups like the Proud Boys they wouldn't support eugenics. People realize their leader is, Enrique Tattoo, a person of color.

In the USA the far right is militia based, and they see themselves as in opposition to overly strong governments. IMO the USA might be the last place a totalitarian government would ever take over.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #151
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Butcher is the absolute worst part of the show and really drags it down? His character is absolutely exhausting and not in a love to hate sort of way.
Don't be a C###
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #152
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
What we're talking about is that if a celebrity was outed a full on Nazi whether the American public would still support them.

Firstly as I pointed out, only about 60% of Americans are non Hispanic white.. You'd assume the minorities would be against Nazism.

Next even among the most right wing groups they'd be against fascism got the simple reason that many are libertarian and in it for the rights. You know who's against rights Nazis. Even among groups like the Proud Boys they wouldn't support eugenics. People realize their leader is, Enrique Tattoo, a person of color.

In the USA the far right is militia based, and they see themselves as in opposition to overly strong governments. IMO the USA might be the last place a totalitarian government would ever take over.
That's a big assumption, you'll always get collaborators who think the wont come for them.

And my point once again is that you have already seen 1/3 of Americans throw their personal morals and philosophies out the window to support flagrant criminality and a complete undermining what their supposed ideals were, simply because the guy was on their team. Their happy to pretend that the other side is committing the very crimes their side is committing in plane sight.

I am not saying that it has happened, but to think it couldn't happen at this point in time in American, is to need a good lesson in history.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #153
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 3 is out on June 3rd.

https://app.primevideo.com/detail?gt...are_seas&r=web
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a heads up, they dropped the first 3 episodes today.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #155
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Wish I was better at coming up with Puns because I'm sure there's a great one to be written about one of the first scenes in episode 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #156
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, I didn't think they could top the ridiculousness...... I was wrong.
Who thinks of this stuff? LOL gross.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_in_Canada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #157
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, the gore done stepped right up.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #158
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Wow, crazier and crazier.

Poor Timothy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:34 PM   #159
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just finished the first 3. This show is ridiculous. Ridiculous. Antony Starr does crazy eyes SO good.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #160
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
Well, I didn't think they could top the ridiculousness...... I was wrong.
Who thinks of this stuff? LOL gross.
I know! Uptown Girl? WTF?
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: