Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #21
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't there a YouTube video of the Penguins using homophobic slurs towards Brian Bellows? I imagine there is endless video archived somewhere that could sully the reputation of so many people. The Bill Peters situation shows there is no statute of limitations on this kind of thing
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #22
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

To this day, Trottier calling Bellows a tit-####er in that video makes me laugh.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 08:29 PM   #23
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Isn't there a YouTube video of the Penguins using homophobic slurs towards Brian Bellows? I imagine there is endless video archived somewhere that could sully the reputation of so many people. The Bill Peters situation shows there is no statute of limitations on this kind of thing
Doesn't the existence of Stevens and Trottier heckling Bellows with homophobic slurs pretty much show that there is a "statute of limitations"?

It's easy to find. Many people know if its existence and yet how much has their reputation suffered? No one cares about athletes using homophobic slurs from the early 90s. Surely not in away comparable to how Peters reputation suffered. Trying to draw a comparison with a coach saying the N word in the 2010s?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
To this day, Trottier calling Bellows a tit-####er in that video makes me laugh.
That video is never not funny.

Things can be a product of their time, folks - most of history is not gonna be palatable with our buckshot 21st century morality.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #25
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Doesn't the existence of Stevens and Trottier heckling Bellows with homophobic slurs pretty much show that there is a "statute of limitations"?

It's easy to find. Many people know if its existence and yet how much has their reputation suffered? No one cares about athletes using homophobic slurs from the early 90s. Surely not in away comparable to how Peters reputation suffered. Trying to draw a comparison with a coach saying the N word in the 2010s?
You are right, as far as I know, no one has called out Trottier or Stevens for what they said in that video. I doubt the NHL wants to tarnish the reputation of a hall of famer. It would require someone outside the NHL to make a stink about that or similar type stuff that no doubt exists.

I do think it is just a matter of time before someone goes through uncensored game video and likely finds 100s of players, coaches, officials and fans using racist, sexist, homophobic, bigotted language.

Someone mentioned Iginla heard the N-word from a Chicago player. How hard would it be to go through archived video to find that moment? If not that specific moment, then perhaps come across some other moment in Iginla's, or Fuhr's, or Mckegney's career when they were subjected to racism.

Aliu outed Peter's 10 years after the fact. I also think it is just a matter of time before a current or former player points fingers at others who have said such things. If it was said on the ice, there is pretty good chance there is archived audio/video of it.

I am not suggesting someone go out and do this, I just think it is going to happen
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #26
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This world is messed up...
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yobbo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #27
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
This world is messed up...
Compared to what, and compared to when?
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:45 AM   #28
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Movies like Blazing Saddles and old TV shows like All in the Family still make me laugh as well, if only we could replace injustice with comedy today.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14483
Quote:
The National Hockey League announced today that the anonymous report it received that Dale Tallon made inappropriate racial, religious, and ethnic comments while serving as General Manager of the Florida Panthers has been fully investigated and was not substantiated.

The anonymous report alleged that Tallon, then-General Manager of the Panthers, had used racially derogatory language while the team was in the Toronto Secure Zone during the first week of August, and had in the past made openly racial, religious, and ethnic comments.

The same day it received the anonymous report about Tallon, the NHL retained Seyfarth Shaw LLP to conduct a full, confidential investigation. Among other steps, Seyfarth interviewed over a dozen individuals in the Panthers’ organization, and reviewed all information made available from representatives of the source through which the anonymous report was made.

The allegations were neither corroborated nor substantiated, and are inconsistent with Tallon’s past actions and his affirmative efforts in support of diversity and inclusion initiatives. As a result, based on the investigation, the NHL has further concluded that there has been no established violation of NHL policy or protocols.

The NHL will have no further comment on this matter.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #30
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't know Dumba was black...? yeah OK.

I'm glad he appeared not to actually say anything bad.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #31
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Didn't know Dumba was black...? yeah OK.
He's half Filipino.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7244862/m...l-anthem-knee/
Quote:
EDITOR’S NOTE: This story has been corrected. The Canadian Press erroneously reported Minnesota Wild defenceman Matt Dumba is Black. In fact, Dumba is half Filipino.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-29-2020 at 11:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #32
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
He's half Filipino.
Apparently I didn't know either! Carry on.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Apparently I didn't know either! Carry on.
It was still a pretty ignorant thing for Tallon to try and make a talking point out of. It really missed the mark on the Black Live Matter activism, which is a broad movement that includes racialized people in a white dominated country, as well as white allies that care about civil rights. I mean, if a white person was there to be supportive and take a knee, I don't think he would have said anything.

His intent most likely wasn't to insult anyone, but he was talking like a meat head.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #34
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I completely forgot about this. 2020 has been a wild ride
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #35
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
My experience with people who say "I don't see colour" or something like it, they are just ignorant to their own racism.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What if someone says "I see colour, but I don't give a Sh%t what that colour is"?
GIODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It was still a pretty ignorant thing for Tallon to try and make a talking point out of. It really missed the mark on the Black Live Matter activism, which is a broad movement that includes racialized people in a white dominated country, as well as white allies that care about civil rights. I mean, if a white person was there to be supportive and take a knee, I don't think he would have said anything.

His intent most likely wasn't to insult anyone, but he was talking like a meat head.
To be fair, he was talking like a 70-year-old man.

I'm glad Tallon was cleared, not because I care about Tallon, but I appreciate that he isn't one more racist person in a world that needs fewer. I think his comment about just seeing Dumba as a hockey player, while awkward and ignorant and definitely a well actual racists go to in order to cover for their own racism, was genuine. In my experience with seniors, even the ones with good hearts aren't going to say things "right" most often, but if their intentions are good, that's all you can ask.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #37
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m assuming that he knew what the direct allegation was. Which would mean that him addressing that he didn’t know Dumba was Black would probably imply that it was alledged he used racist remarks about being Black towards him. At least that was my initial interpretation, I could be way off base.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #38
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I’m assuming that he knew what the direct allegation was. Which would mean that him addressing that he didn’t know Dumba was Black would probably imply that it was alledged he used racist remarks about being Black towards him. At least that was my initial interpretation, I could be way off base.
Quote:
“I don’t recall it. I don’t remember it. I don’t ever use the word. They said I said something after Dumba’s speech and I don’t remember even seeing Dumba’s speech.

“I didn’t know Dumba was Black; I have only ever seen him as a hockey player. I did not know he was of color. That’s all I can say. I need to find out what is going on.”
Yeah, it's pretty clear to me that the accusation involved him using THE word.

"I don't use that word ever but especially wouldn't use it against someone I didn't even know was Black" seems like a pretty reasonable stance if you honestly didn't know where the accusation came from. And he wasn't wrong, Dumba is Filipino, I don't think he's Black.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-29-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #39
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
To be fair, he was talking like a 70-year-old man.

I'm glad Tallon was cleared, not because I care about Tallon, but I appreciate that he isn't one more racist person in a world that needs fewer. I think his comment about just seeing Dumba as a hockey player, while awkward and ignorant and definitely a well actual racists go to in order to cover for their own racism, was genuine. In my experience with seniors, even the ones with good hearts aren't going to say things "right" most often, but if their intentions are good, that's all you can ask.
To be fair, I don't think the vast majority of people would articulate themselves well when questioned about an accusation like that.

I know that I've heard players and media speak extremely highly of Tallon for years as a hockey guy and as a person, so I really have a hard time buying any of it.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #40
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Trottier actually addresses the video in a Players Tribune. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ar...y-younger-self
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote