Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2024, 09:15 AM   #1
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's talk about diet, weight(loss?), and living healthier

Spoiler!

Hidden is what finally prompted me to take action and make healthier choices. I'm looking for any tips anyone has to offer and am happy to share anything I've learned on the road to fitter living.

Start date September 1, 2023
Start weight 212lbs
Current weight 176lbs
Goal weight 172lbs

Tools
Garmin Forerunner 255 watch
LoseIt!

Strategy
Set calorie intake just above calculated base metabolic rate
Set activity level (as provided by Garmin to LoseIt app) to start adding bonus calories at ~750 over intake.

Macro diet goals
Minimum 100g protein
Maximum 50g fat
Carbs let them fall where they may, but I do make low carb choices in most cases.

Current activity level
1 hour cardio per day
2 hours weight/strength/resistance per week

Long term goal
Increase weight training to get stronger/fitter

Would love to hear anyone's plan or strategy for living healthier, and I will share things we are doing or new things we are trying to work toward that. I still drink way too much and still enjoy the occasional cigar so it's that kind of lifestyle strategy.

Today I learned that I don't hate Ensure Max Protein shake (French vanilla) in my coffee as creamer. There is no 18% coffee cream in America, so I had cut back to 1 tablespoon heavy cream in my coffees, but this is half the calories and swaps 5g of fat for 5g of protein.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:20 AM   #2
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asparagus is no good.

I need to lose some weight and it probably means laying off the beer, which I'm unwilling to do right now.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the last 28 days, as tracked by app - and I record absolutely everything - my 3 high calorie intake 'foods' are
Coffee (from cream) 3741
Whisky 3610
Red wine 3629
Those three account for nearly 20% of my caloric intake
Old 02-22-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting with a new personal trainer this weekend. She's a former IFBB Pro and I've given her a mandate of "Chisel me out of granite by summer". Full meal plan, five days a week training.

Can I manage these things without a PT? Well maybe, but I wasn't being disciplined / accountable to myself, so I decided it would be best to get someone to crack the whip for me a bit.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:52 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been struggling with weight & fitness since 2018. I used be to be exceptionally fit.

Short story is in 2018 I got slew footed and it triggered a latent condition that was in my neck. Since then I have struggled with all sorts of problems, my left had always feels like it has a rubber glove on it.

It took me around 18 months to get my neck and related issues under control. By that point the damage was done and then roll on the pandemic.

By the time Jan 2022 came, I went from a 46yr old 6ft, 190lbs fit individual to a 50 yr old 6ft 230lbs fat bastard.

I've been picking away at it, down it 220lbs, but my neck continues to be an issue.

I am back playing beer league with my daughter and this winter I started doing indoor training with my rugby club.

My issue is diet, working from home can be painful at time when it come to diet.

anyway

Activity:

3hrs of Cardio a week, looking to increase
BW exercises 3 times a week, need to increase.

Getting old after you spent the majority of your life abusing your body sucks, a lot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:53 AM   #6
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's outstanding. I'm not ready for antwhere near that level of commitment lol, but I definitely want to focus more on strength training to see just how much I might be able to claw back after decades of neglect.
Keep us posted please!
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:56 AM   #7
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

That’s a scary story EOI. I’m glad you’re taking positive steps because of it though.

I’ve lost 35 pounds recently. It’s not a huge accomplishment at my size. I just do intermittent fasting for 16–18 hours a day. Soon it will require more dedication like calorie tracking and increased exercise.

I’m also going to get treatment for ADHD, finally, and those meds could help with appetite.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 09:56 AM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding a process and being able to stick to it is always the rub.

Where you're starting typically means a different plan as well.

Over the years I've bounced in and out of weightloss cycles (as low as 175 and as high as 235 in the last 15 years - 40 years old now). About 3.5 years ago I started a weightloss cycle just tracking calories via MyFitnessPal and tracking steps via Google Fit (since I at the time was too lazy to wear a tracker). Got myself down to 185 from 235 over about 24 months with more attention paid to caloric intake and in/out calorie usage (daily walks, elliptical, etc.) and trying to expend more than I intake.

About 14 months ago I switched gears at the behest of my wife and started strength training and instead of focusing on total calories, I started focusing on Macros (again using MyFitnessPal). I tracked my weightlifting manually on paper at first and now through WHOOP! which is a paid wearable + app - I'm a data nerd and it is by far the best of all the trackers/wearables that I've tried.

Generally I do about 30m of jogging on a treadmill/outside 3-4 times a week (or other cardio, such as when I take my kid to the indoor climber playgrounds, which are a massive full-body workout), and 5-6 days of weight training for 60m-90m depending (gym days are longer than at home days). Weight training is broken into 2x Shoulders+Arms, 2x Chest+Back, and 2xLower Body+Core each week, with Lower Body usually suffering as a casualty/rest/cardio swap day if I'm tired since my legs/calves/glutes are already massive from years of playing baseball and skateboarding.

In the 14 months I've been strength training, I've gained about 28lbs back (sitting at ~213lb now), and am sitting at 17% bodyfat as of my last body comp.

On that note, checking your body comp every 6 months is huge to tracking progress, both from cardio and strength training. When losing initial weight, you watch the fat % drop more incrementally, but when you start strength training this goes up exponentially as the muscle replaces fat. It's also extremely helpful mentally since strength training will make your weight increase due to bulking and seeing that "no this is good now" on paper with numbers erases the guilt you have of getting "heavy" again.

My current macro intake is ~170-200g of Protein per day (2x protein shakes w/ ultrafiltered milk comprises about 76g of this). Carbs and fat targets are balanced based on my body weight; most body comp testing places (~$100 a visit) also do nutrition analysis and will tell you your macro targets.

I do my body comp analysis with Eatuitive downtown https://eatuitivenutrition.com/testing/ - Highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 02-22-2024 at 10:07 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:01 AM   #9
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I've been struggling with weight & fitness since 2018. I used be to be exceptionally fit.

Short story is in 2018 I got slew footed and it triggered a latent condition that was in my neck. Since then I have struggled with all sorts of problems, my left had always feels like it has a rubber glove on it.

It took me around 18 months to get my neck and related issues under control. By that point the damage was done and then roll on the pandemic.

By the time Jan 2022 came, I went from a 46yr old 6ft, 190lbs fit individual to a 50 yr old 6ft 230lbs fat bastard.

I've been picking away at it, down it 220lbs, but my neck continues to be an issue.

I am back playing beer league with my daughter and this winter I started doing indoor training with my rugby club.

My issue is diet, working from home can be painful at time when it come to diet.

anyway

Activity:

3hrs of Cardio a week, looking to increase
BW exercises 3 times a week, need to increase.

Getting old after you spent the majority of your life abusing your body sucks, a lot.
I turned 60 in January. I understand where you are coming from, 100%
Whats works for one doesn't for another, but for me started by tracking everything. Diligently. I realized I was consuming nearly 25,000 calories a week. No wonder I was a big fat tub. So started with small choices. Swap this for that. Obviously injuries make everything more difficult, including the mental aspect. I really wish you the tiniest and/or greatest success. Any little tiny bit helps, probably. Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm starting with a new personal trainer this weekend. She's a former IFBB Pro and I've given her a mandate of "Chisel me out of granite by summer". Full meal plan, five days a week training.

Can I manage these things without a PT? Well maybe, but I wasn't being disciplined / accountable to myself, so I decided it would be best to get someone to crack the whip for me a bit.
Sounds like she could potentially be hot, this is a good idea.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:06 AM   #11
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Over the years I've bounced in and out of weightloss cycles (as low as 175 and as high as 235 in the last 15 years - 40 years old now). About 3.5 years ago I started a weightloss cycle just tracking calories via MyFitnessPal and tracking steps via Google Fit (since I at the time was too lazy to wear a tracker). Got myself down to 185 from 235 over about 24 months with more attention paid to caloric intake and in/out calorie usage (daily walks, elliptical, etc.) and trying to expend more than I intake.

About 14 months ago I switched gears at the behest of my wife and started strength training and instead of focusing on total calories, I started focusing on Macros (again using MyFitnessPal). I tracked my weightlifting manually on paper at first and now through WHOOP! which is a paid wearable + app - I'm a data nerd and it is by far the best of all the trackers/wearables that I've tried.

Generally I do about 30m of jogging on a treadmill/outside 3-4 times a week (or other cardio, such as when I take my kid to the indoor climber playgrounds, which are a massive full-body workout), and 5-6 days of weight training for 60m-90m depending (gym days are longer than at home days). Weight training is broken into 2x Shoulders+Arms, 2x Chest+Back, and 2xLower Body+Core each week, with Lower Body usually suffering as a causaulty/rest/cardio swap day if I'm tired since my legs/calves/glutes are already massive from years of playing baseball and skateboarding.

In the 14 months I've been strength training, I've gained about 28lbs back (sitting at ~213lb now), and am sitting at 17% bodyfat as of my last body comp.

On that note, checking your body comp every 6 months is huge to tracking progress, both from cardio and strength training. When losing initial weight, you watch the fat % drop more incrementally, but when you start strength training this goes up exponentially as the muscle replaces fat. It's also extremely helpful mentally since strength training will make your weight increase due to bulking and seeing that "no this is good now" on paper with numbers erases the guilt you have of getting "heavy" again.

My current macro intake is ~170-200g of Protein per day (2x protein shakes w/ ultrafiltered milk comprises about 76g of this). Carbs and fat targets are balanced based on my body weight; most body comp testing places (~$100 a visit) also do nutrition analysis and will tell you your macro targets.

I do my body comp analysis with Eatuitive downtown https://eatuitivenutrition.com/testing/ - Highly recommend it.
This is a truly amazing evolution. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Generally I do about 30m of jogging on a treadmill/outside 3-4 times a week (or other cardio, such as when I take my kid to the indoor climber playgrounds, which are a massive full-body workout), and 5-6 days of weight training for 60m-90m depending (gym days are longer than at home days). Weight training is broken into 2x Shoulders+Arms, 2x Chest+Back, and 2xLower Body+Core each week, with Lower Body usually suffering as a casualty/rest/cardio swap day if I'm tired since my legs/calves/glutes are already massive from years of playing baseball and skateboarding.

You have a wife that encourages you to do 5-6 gym days plus running every week? I'm jealous. I have to sneak out to get 3 days in the gym a week. Although our child being 2 probably has a lot do with that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:12 AM   #13
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I just got a new trainer after about 3 years of not having one. I find they are great for motivation and just getting you back on track. Over time, everyone's mind starts playing tricks on them and bad habits develop.

My trainer is on the Canadian national powerlifting team. I may consider competing in powerlifting myself, depending on how things go. It would be in the masters division so not ultra competitive.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:14 AM   #14
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have to give kudos to anyone who manages to work out everyday. I have setup a rower, treadmill and free weights in the basement and even then I have a hard time getting three workouts a week. Would love to hear how you make that work
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:15 AM   #15
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the biggest thing overall however is money. When you have money it makes all of this way way easier.

Obviously there's a lot of work and mental commitment, but the monthly cost of everything I noted is non-negligible. The more cash you can throw at personal fitness, the more it smooths the edges of the process as a whole.

Between me and my wife, we go through about 7.5kg of Protein powder a month. 16-18x1.5L bottles of Fairlife UF milk a month. 16x750ml tubs of protein greek yogurt a month (+2xLactaid a day for me). $25 a month for WHOOP tracking. ~$50 a month for gym access. ~$100 every 6 months for comp testing. $100 every month on 20 lbs of frozen chicken breasts + other uncountable protein sources (eg. Schneiders makes turkey sticks that are 6g Protein @ 60 calories per and they are not cheap). A few hundred bucks every couple months on new dumbbells or other equipment as we scale up.

Shoes, mats, gloves, sleeves, benches, bars, clothing, etc. etc. etc. etc. Every dollar you can throw at it makes the process easier, more comfortable and more simplified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You have a wife that encourages you to do 5-6 gym days plus running every week? I'm jealous. I have to sneak out to get 3 days in the gym a week. Although our child being 2 probably has a lot do with that.
Kid is 4.5 now, still sleeps a ton and is down by 7 PM. We also pay a teenager $30 twice a week (so, $240 a month on average) to watch their phone/iPad at our kitchen table on Monday and Thursday so we can go whole hog at the gym together twice a week.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 02-22-2024 at 10:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:18 AM   #16
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ it is the first time in the history of the world where poorer people are fatter than wealthier ones. Agree 100% that cost is prohibitive for many.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:29 AM   #17
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I did basically the same thing in 2018/2019, it was great... I gained some size, that's for sure. Had times where my pants ripped at work in the seat due to the growth of my glutes haha. It is a massive commitment however, just an FYI - physically and financially. As well, the best thing I learned from a trainer was good form, moreso than quantity of weight or reps, and it will be what really chisels you - have great form (combined with progressive increases in weight), watch the results come a lot quicker.

When I'm at the gym now (which should be more these days admittedly haha, I'm slacking) I'm side eye-watching people's form and it's crazy how many people have no idea how about proper form - compound lifts like squats and deadlifts, especially.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:32 AM   #18
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Living in pain sucks. I did it for a while, and finally fixed it about 10 years ago. I saw Jenn at Most Fitness. She helps athletes recover from injuries.

Background is I kept putting my back out and I was always in pain or worried about being in pain.

I saw Jenn 3x a week for 4 or 5 months, and haven't put my back out since.

The program was what seemed like a bunch of mundane exercises, but she explained I had to strengthen a bunch of small, hard to train muscles.

Anyways, best money i've spent on myself, as living in pain sucks.

Here's her bio: https://mostphysicalprep.com/jenn-swagar/
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:32 AM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I did basically the same thing in 2018/2019, it was great... I gained some size, that's for sure. Had times where my pants ripped at work in the seat due to the growth of my glutes haha. It is a massive commitment however, just an FYI - physically and financially. As well, the best thing I learned from a trainer was good form, moreso than quantity of weight or reps, and it will be what really chisels you - have great form (combined with progressive increases in weight), watch the results come a lot quicker.

When I'm at the gym now (which should be more these days admittedly haha, I'm slacking) I'm side eye-watching people's form and it's crazy how many people have no idea how about proper form - compound lifts like squats and deadlifts, especially.
I'm so jealous of the 19 year olds that just wildly swing weights around or bench press to their chin.

Just having that freedom to have absolute garbage form and not tweak your back or tear your rotator cuff...

Quote:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:36 AM   #20
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
Living in pain sucks. I did it for a while, and finally fixed it about 10 years ago. I saw Jenn at Most Fitness. She helps athletes recover from injuries.

Background is I kept putting my back out and I was always in pain or worried about being in pain.

I saw Jenn 3x a week for 4 or 5 months, and haven't put my back out since.

The program was what seemed like a bunch of mundane exercises, but she explained I had to strengthen a bunch of small, hard to train muscles.

Anyways, best money i've spent on myself, as living in pain sucks.

Here's her bio: https://mostphysicalprep.com/jenn-swagar/
Thanks

I have a good PT that I see now and again.

The pain is mostly gone or I have grown to enjoy it.

The hand will most likely always have different feel to it.

For the most part I do the things i want to do, ski & hockey. Sadly I will never ever play rugby again and that hurts a bunch, I miss it so.

It's an accumulation of a bunch of knock/injuries over the years, ankle/knee/shoulder/ribs.

The biggest barrier currently is me.

Quote: