Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 12:01 PM   #3961
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
DS9 only got good after Rick Berman started focusing on Voyager and left the DS9 writers to their own devices.
Yeah, this is absolute truth. Once the 'Eye of Sauron' was firmly affixed upon Voyager is when DS9 really got into a good groove.

So for us fans who were touch-and-go with DS9 in the beginning it makes the re-watch so satisfying.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:03 PM   #3962
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always been amazed that Star trek didn't have more serial killers. I mean as dangerous as the Star Wars universe is with its lack of handrails. The technology in Star Trek is a demented killers dream.

Guns that disintegrate people into molecular components. Access to the matter anti matter core, for body disposal. Hell the replicators can make anything at all. After a night of drunken gambling its like make me a gun.

Or turn off the holodeck safeties and insert Godzilla into Riker's program.

You can beam a person into the core of a planet by accident, and think of all the air locks.

Heck there's no money so you wouldn't have to pay a hitman, you could find someone who just you know finds fulfillment in finding ways to commit the perfect murder.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:16 PM   #3963
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rewatching DS9?

*cough, cough*

(points to signature)
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:27 PM   #3964
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Started a DS9 rewatch, and I've been forcing myself to include all the painful early episodes. The last time I tried getting through the series was after back surgery, and I think I was less patient without a second screen in the palm of my hand.

This morning at about 7:00 I'm watching Move Along Home from the first season, and it has to be the dumbest episode in all of Star Trek. The command crew playing hopscotch to progress through an alien puzzle? Oookay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, The first episode was really good, and then for about a year and a half it was a struggle. But when DS9 hit its stride, it was incredibly good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Terrible episode but I have fond memories of it. I watched the premier of DS9 and then fell out of it quickly. PArt of it was, I think it aired on CITY for me, and it was hard to get it on the antenna.

But Move Along Home was the first full-length episode I saw, other than the premiere. It did nothing to keep me watching, and I had to re-discover DS9 later, when I was workign nights and they were doing reruns early in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
DS9 only got good after Rick Berman started focusing on Voyager and left the DS9 writers to their own devices.

I think it's always been a bit unfair to lump seasons 1, 2—and even for some people, 3—of DS9 together as "painful" to watch and "a struggle". They never ever hit the lows that seasons 1 and 2 of TNG did, never had anywhere near the number of truly bad episodes as Voyager, and in retrospect there were a bunch of episodes in those early seasons of DS9 that would have been among the best of the best of Voyager and TNG.

I think the weakest ones in DS9's repertoire were the ones with prominent guest stars, and especially the ones quite explicitly calling back to TNG. "Q-Less" and "The Forsaken" are my least favourite season 1 episodes. "Move Along Home" is undeniably a dud, probably the worst episode in the entire series' run, but even then it's just kind of... boring and insipid, as opposed to outright 'bad'.

I think that's the worst thing one can say about early DS9 episodes: a little dull, a little boring, maybe.

On the other hand I love episodes like "Duet", "In The Hands of The Prophets" and "Dax". The three-parter at the beginning of season 2—"The Homecoming", "The Circle", "The Siege"—was great! I love "Rules of Acquisition", "Blood Oath", "The Maquis", "The Wire", "Crossover", "Tribunal" and, of course, "The Jem'Hadar".
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:32 PM   #3965
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
probably the worst episode in the entire series' run

Are we forgetting Profit and Lace?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:20 PM   #3966
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Rewatching DS9?

*cough, cough*

(points to signature)
That's your podcast?

I'll check it out

Old 05-16-2024, 04:56 PM   #3967
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Are we forgetting Profit and Lace?
Honestly? No. I think "Profit and Lace" is better than "Move Along Home" by a wide margin. Absurd in its execution, but the point it was trying to make about sexism in Ferengi culture (and by extension our real-life culture), and Quark's own personal sexist behaviours, was a lot more interesting than "Move Along Home"'s... wait, did "Move Along Home" even have much of a premise, other than "weird, wacky Gamma-Quadrant aliens we've never seen make the crew play a dangerous game where they MIGHT ACTUALLY DIE!!!one! ... oh no wait that was just a red herring and they were never in any danger at all"?

EDIT: Although, to be fair, Quark's lessons don't seem to actually sink in, as now that I really think about it... at the end he still ends up being a creep to the dabo girl... :/ Yeah, okay, maybe "Profit and Lace" is even ####tier than I remember.

Last edited by timun; 05-16-2024 at 05:02 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 07:27 PM   #3968
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've always been amazed that Star trek didn't have more serial killers. I mean as dangerous as the Star Wars universe is with its lack of handrails. The technology in Star Trek is a demented killers dream.

Guns that disintegrate people into molecular components. Access to the matter anti matter core, for body disposal. Hell the replicators can make anything at all. After a night of drunken gambling its like make me a gun.

Or turn off the holodeck safeties and insert Godzilla into Riker's program.

You can beam a person into the core of a planet by accident, and think of all the air locks.

Heck there's no money so you wouldn't have to pay a hitman, you could find someone who just you know finds fulfillment in finding ways to commit the perfect murder.
Now that would have been AWESOME!

"Barclay!!!...Not AGAIN!!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #3969
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Time for a good ol CP watch party. Everyone fire up your streaming service of choice, or VHS box set it you're old like Captain Crunch, do a weekly watch of DS9 together. Then we can all listen to Yeah_Baby's podcast and then come here and discuss our thoughts.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 10:58 AM   #3970
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Time for a good ol CP watch party. Everyone fire up your streaming service of choice, or VHS box set it you're old like Captain Crunch, do a weekly watch of DS9 together. Then we can all listen to Yeah_Baby's podcast and then come here and discuss our thoughts.
Lol! That might actually be fun.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:37 PM   #3971
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Watching a show on VHS is like listening to an old album with all of its flaws.

I'd probably be done for it.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:49 PM   #3972
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

And since most of us have watched it though, you can drop in anytime even if you missed some weeks. It would also be interesting to get the commentary from a new watcher, or someone who was disinterested during the run, but is revisiting it.

Downside is that there will be the odd week of Captain screaming into the void.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:55 AM   #3973
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It would also be interesting to get the commentary from a new watcher

This is me. I was a huge fan of TNG, but by the time DS9 rolled around, I'd stopped watching tv generally, and didn't do 'appointment tv'. I had seen, over the years, not quite a season's worth of episodes sprinkled here and there, but that's it.

Now I'm working out on a treadmill a lot, so I'm rewatching a lot of stuff. I've gone through all of TNG, and decided to keep going with DS9 and then Voyager (a show I've probably seen 10 episodes of, in total).

I just started Season 6 of DS9 with yesterday's workout.

Generally speaking, I'm quite enjoying DS9.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:03 AM   #3974
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This is me. I was a huge fan of TNG, but by the time DS9 rolled around, I'd stopped watching tv generally, and didn't do 'appointment tv'. I had seen, over the years, not quite a season's worth of episodes sprinkled here and there, but that's it.

Now I'm working out on a treadmill a lot, so I'm rewatching a lot of stuff. I've gone through all of TNG, and decided to keep going with DS9 and then Voyager (a show I've probably seen 10 episodes of, in total).

I just started Season 6 of DS9 with yesterday's workout.

DS9 is a show that aged really well. There is so much about it to like.

Even episodes with Kai Winn...when you first watch those episodes but then realize how much you genuinely hate that woman you understand exactly how well that actress absolutely crushed that role.

RIP Louise Fletcher.

I absolutely loathed your character. Which is a testament as to how well you played her.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 10:05 AM   #3975
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
DS9 is a show that aged really well. There is so much about it to like.

Even episodes with Kai Winn...when you first watch those episodes but then realize how much you genuinely hate that woman you understand exactly how well that actress absolutely crushed that role.

RIP Louise Fletcher.

I absolutely loathed your character. Which is a testament as to how well you played her.

Hah! Yes! I've wanted to slap her silly every time I've seen her. Which is quite an accomplishment for an actress. I'm quite impressed with her ability.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:07 AM   #3976
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hah! Yes! I've wanted to slap her silly every time I've seen her. Which is quite an accomplishment for an actress. I'm quite impressed with her ability.
"But why my child?"

Because the fall from the upper deck of the Promenade wont do the trick...

Old 05-18-2024, 10:21 AM   #3977
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Remember that thought when you get to Voyager.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: