Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #101
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve played our division just 7 times so far including just this past 4 game road trip. The flames haven’t had any chance to build a rhythm against inter divisional foes and the styles of games division games are is different. Give them time and I have no doubt they will play these divisional games into points.

Now bring on Carolina and Boston lol!

7 times - forgot about the Anaheim and sanjose home games. Still not worried in the least, just need to build a rhythm against our division and I have no doubts this team can find that rhythm.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 12-08-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #102
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So when the Flames win it's because the other team didn't want to win?

Pittsburgh X 2, Rangers X 2, Washington...just weren't trying those nights?

Yeah, I have a hard time buying that narrative.
How many times have you heard a PBP person say; "this is a spirited affair for two teams that don't see each other often"? There's a reason for that as it's because out of conference games are often less intense. There is less on the line for both teams in two point games against opponents you aren't likely to see in the playoffs. Flames have outworked their opponents most nights so when the intensity level is low it's easier for them to get their job done. Once the intensity ramps up then the goaltending starts to show cracks, defensive miscues become more glaring, as does lack of finish and drive to the net. Remind me the last time the Flames have dominated their division? Even in 2018 when they won 50 games and the west coast teams were garbage the Flames were just a hair over .500 in the division. It seems in rivalry games they just don't play their best more than not.

I'm not saying they can't get it done but they haven't shown that they can as of yet.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #103
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The last two games should have been statement games. Beat Vegas and San Jose and you show that you can beat the playoff contenders in your own division. The Flames' record against their own division is still something where dramatic improvement is required. If you can't beat teams in your own division with regularity, you aren't making the playoffs.
Darryl has always prioritized taking care of business in the division which is why I know this is something he's going to really work on and it's why he was very unhappy last night. Hopefully the players can dig deeper the next time they play a team like Vegas, Oilers, Sharks, or even the Canucks who may start playing better under Boudreau.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #104
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering if teams are starting to figure out the Flames D after the 20-games mark. The defensive zone coverage was great before, but the last two games with opposition having more speed and size, the Flames are running around in their own zones like their typical past and they're getting beat quite often. And down on the other end, they're not getting pucks through like they had been. It's only a two game losing streak but the goals they gave up were bad defensive coverages.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #105
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Two games in a row the flames could have added 2 points in the Oilers. Apparently that isn't enough...... Disappointing
Flames still never pass up an opportunity to pass up an opportunity.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #106
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams lose, you can't win every game. The other team always wants to win.

Calgary played well and likely deserved a better fate. As long as games like this don't become the norm, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'll judge the team on its cumulative record to date, not the smaller sample size of 2 games.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #107
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The turning point was the Flames PP, where Karlsson scored shortly afterwards. Convert on that PP, and the Sharks will fold after that. They were already in a tough mental spot at 3-1. The broadcast chatted a bit about the negative body language Hertl had, and then Karlsson takes that delay of game penalty shortly after.

Then Hertl ends up with a Hatty to end the game.

From Moneypuck -
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #108
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I'm wondering if teams are starting to figure out the Flames D after the 20-games mark. The defensive zone coverage was great before, but the last two games with opposition having more speed and size, the Flames are running around in their own zones like their typical past and they're getting beat quite often. And down on the other end, they're not getting pucks through like they had been. It's only a two game losing streak but the goals they gave up were bad defensive coverages.
I don't think it's a matter of teams figuring out the Flames like say in 2018. It's likely more to do with fatigue and the fact that it's hard to play flawless defensive hockey night after night. One thing I noticed is that when Couture scored he was really fired up, the Sharks bench looked energized, and after that it looked like they just wanted it more as you could just see the ice tilt and the following game winning goal starting to look like an inevitability.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #109
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
The turning point was the Flames PP, where Karlsson scored shortly afterwards. Convert on that PP, and the Sharks will fold after that. They were already in a tough mental spot at 3-1. The broadcast chatted a bit about the negative body language Hertl had, and then Karlsson takes that delay of game penalty shortly after.

Then Hertl ends up with a Hatty to end the game.

From Moneypuck -
Just an unfortunate and out of left field sequence of events that snowballed in a very short span of time.

For the game as a whole, Flames were certainly more deserving. But that's not how this game goes sometimes.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #110
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

pretty sure the Flames are the only team in the NHL that hasn't been blown out

worst games they were within a goal in the third period
Old 12-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #111
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tough loss for the team. They definitely deserved a better fate tonight after carrying much of the play. Flames had their chances though and Hill was good. Probably could’ve used at least one big save from Vladar but it is what it is. He was bound to lose in regulation at some point.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #112
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Flames “back down to earth” after losing two road games by a bee’s dick after playing a LOT of road hockey. They’re first in the pacific, 2nd in the west, best goal differential in the league. Hot take in the OP

If they keep playing this way through the season, add a second line forward at the deadline and they’re a cup contender.
But I want more.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #113
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought this was the Flames worst game - by far - this year. WAY too little attention to detail, little flow, and zero support (which they'd been doing really well in the D-zone up till now).

Gudbranson looked like Badbranson, directly responsible for two goals with blind passes up the middle. Rasmus looked out of it and couldn't get shots through from the BL, Hanifin and Tanev looked "ok", but not their usual selves, and no idea what was going on with Zadorov, he just seemed lost on the ice a lot, looking around. Kylington was OK at the start, but seemed to lose it as the night went on. WTF with the D?

And ... how did the forwards keep missing wide open nets? IIRC (I didn't go back to look) they had three of them to hit...and missed the net each time.

Can't see Darryl being too happy with any of those performances. Will be interested to see how he deals with it.

Burn the tape, move on? Bag skate? Peel the paint off the walls?
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #114
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be pretty dumb to bag skate the team who has had the most travel in the NHL thus far and plays tomorrow
Old 12-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #115
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The last two games should have been statement games. Beat Vegas and San Jose and you show that you can beat the playoff contenders in your own division. The Flames' record against their own division is still something where dramatic improvement is required. If you can't beat teams in your own division with regularity, you aren't making the playoffs.
The Flames play more games against the Eastern Conference (32) than they do in the division (26). They can easily make the playoffs without winning divisional games regularly.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #116
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I would be pretty dumb to bag skate the team who has had the most travel in the NHL thus far and plays tomorrow
Agreed. Darryl may be upset but he is just nipping things in the bud. Punishing players does not always work, He might make them practice extra hard but that is a purpose-driven approach and the players can accept that,
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #117
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night showed me they could easily beat SJ actually
breaks and goaltending were the difference, happens...Flames win that game most of the time with the exact same effort (and it wasn't even an A or even a B effort)

Markstom probably wins it IMO

Lucic missed one that I likely would have buried
Old 12-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #118
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=3&final=true
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2367016
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap139961.html
Old 12-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #119
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if it was discussed elsewhere but more than a couple of people noted that Kylington looked off this game. Turns out he wasn’t sure if he would play due to a positive Covid test (which ended up being a false positive):

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...-covid-19-test

Quote:
The 24-year-old Calgary Flames defenceman was absent from the team’s morning skate in San Jose on Tuesday after testing positive for COVID-19. But two negative tests that followed revealed the initial result was a false positive — and he was able to rejoin the team for warm-ups and skated in the team’s 5-3 loss to the Sharks that night.

The whole situation caused him an understandable amount of stress.

“I’m not going to make any excuses … but that game was probably my worst I’ve played this year,” Kylington said. “But I’m not really going to make any excuses because I had a false positive and I was sitting in my room until 4 o’clock. And my third test I did that day, every other test I did that day was negative and my third test was negative and then I was cleared. I felt my preparation wasn’t as what I was used to.

“No excuses, I have to be better. But it was a weird day.”
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote