Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #561
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you'll have a good deal of adoption in suburban areas where sheer range is not nearly as important as curb appeal of owning a truck. Is it going to be a great work truck? I guess that depends on how far you have to drive to the job site. If you're a contractor who works more or less within ~150 KM of home exclusively, this is your Swiss army knife dream come true.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #562
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I think it's ideal as a short haul city work vehicle. It's got lots of great features for that. That's why I'm wondering why there isn't a short cab version.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #563
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To extract those needles, recyclers rely on two techniques, known as pyrometallurgy and hydrometallurgy. The more common is pyrometallurgy, in which recyclers first mechanically shred the cell and then burn it, leaving a charred mass of plastic, metals, and glues. At that point, they can use several methods to extract the metals, including further burning. “Pyromet is essentially treating the battery as if it were an ore” straight from a mine, Gaines says. Hydrometallurgy, in contrast, involves dunking battery materials in pools of acid, producing a metal-laden soup. Sometimes the two methods are combined.

Each has advantages and downsides. Pyrometallurgy, for example, doesn’t require the recycler to know the battery’s design or composition, or even whether it is completely discharged, in order to move ahead safely. But it is energy intensive. Hydrometallurgy can extract materials not easily obtained through burning, but it can involve chemicals that pose health risks. And recovering the desired elements from the chemical soup can be difficult, although researchers are experimenting with compounds that promise to dissolve certain battery metals but leave others in a solid form, making them easier to recover. For example, Thompson has identified one candidate, a mixture of acids and bases called a deep eutectic solvent, that dissolves everything but nickel.

Both processes produce extensive waste and emit greenhouse gases, studies have found. And the business model can be shaky: Most operations depend on selling recovered cobalt to stay in business, but batterymakers are trying to shift away from that relatively expensive metal. If that happens, recyclers could be left trying to sell piles of “dirt,” says materials scientist Rebecca Ciez of Purdue University.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...dead-batteries

A few other good points made here. With millions of EV's out there already, is this going to be a bit of a disaster in a decade? Glueing cells together doesn't seem like any thought has been put into the recylcability of these things. I wonder if we will be paying EV disposal fees, or deposits in the future.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #564
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That might make road trips pretty expensive.
It could, though it depends on the length and depends on how much I'm saving otherwise.

If I tend to travel more by air and only do a few road trips a year of a week each then it might be fine.

If I'm one to do road trips a dozen times a year that's something else.

Depends on who you're going with too.. I've rented a van in the past to do a road trip with family instead of taking several vehicles, worked great.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #565
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

So I’ve been driving a Fusion Engeri (PHEV) for over two years and I don’t think I could ever go back to a straight gas engine again. The Energi has a small 7kwh battery and even that has been great. I have the luxury of plugging in at work (when I have to go to the office with Covid). Even with the small battery I am usually getting 2000-2500 km out of a 40l tank.

I drove my dad up to Drayton Valley a couple weeks ago and even just on hybrid mode it’s still getting sub 6L/100km.

My only problem is I want a truck again and I was tempted to get either a Cybertruck or a F150 Lightning but there is a rumour of a PHEV 2022 Ranger or possibly a PHEV Maverick… I love the practicality of the PHEV having the best of both worlds.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #566
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
there is a rumour of a PHEV 2022 Ranger or possibly a PHEV Maverick
Those I would absolutely look at when I need to replace mine.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #567
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/18/...t-9000-pounds/

The new Hummer will weigh 9000 lbs and do 0-60 in 3 seconds. This thing is gonna be a wrecking ball.
It also continues to be an environmental nightmare. That weight does a few things destroys roads, gives off massive break dust, and tire dust. Side points for the person who hits someone in a crosswalk at low speed and kills them instantly.

Its something many don’t factor in to their green posturing. That electric vehicles weigh more than gas and the electricity source isn’t always clean. They also are death bricks if they hit anything smaller.

By all means get a EV hummer to save on gas, but your doing no service to anyone else.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #568
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Those I would absolutely look at when I need to replace mine.
I’d bet good money on a Hybrid and PHEV Tacoma soon too.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #569
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
It also continues to be an environmental nightmare. That weight does a few things destroys roads, gives off massive break dust, and tire dust. Side points for the person who hits someone in a crosswalk at low speed and kills them instantly.
I'm not sure I follow. A typical transit bus or small delivery truck will weigh 4 times more than that. A semi-trailer that's loaded will weigh 10 times more than that. A normal road surface should handle a hummer just fine.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #570
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Its something many don’t factor in to their green posturing. That electric vehicles weigh more than gas and the electricity source isn’t always clean. They also are death bricks if they hit anything smaller.

By all means get a EV hummer to save on gas, but your doing no service to anyone else.
Absolutely not.

- There are heavy duty vehicles on roads all the time
- A Tesla Model 3 weighs less than a Ford F-150
- EVs have regenerative braking which means significantly less brake and tire wear
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #571
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hummer is and will always be the symbol of American excess. I would be embarrassed to be seen driving one as I want no association with that kind of American.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #572
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...dead-batteries

A few other good points made here. With millions of EV's out there already, is this going to be a bit of a disaster in a decade? Glueing cells together doesn't seem like any thought has been put into the recylcability of these things. I wonder if we will be paying EV disposal fees, or deposits in the future.
EV Batteries are generally not going to be recycled, they will be reused for stationary power grid storage.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #573
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
EV Batteries are generally not going to be recycled, they will be reused for stationary power grid storage.
But at some point they will need to be. And when there are hundreds of millions of EV's, all in different configurations, is it going to make sense to repurpose all of them? I'm not suggesting it's a "now" problem, but it will be one in the future.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #574
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are a whole bunch of companies getting into battery recycling.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #575
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, there are. It doesn't change the fact that there are challenges with how current battery packs are produced, and how to manage that(as described in the article, if you read it). I suspect one of the big improvements in the next decade will be packaging and material reduction.

This is why it's good to have plenty of different manufacturers jumping in, as they will all innovate differently. The drawback is you end up with loads of different materials, designs, components, etc that make a generic recycling processes harder to optimize.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #576
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd say battery packs are pretty much all the same except swap in/out a few different metals. I 100% agree it is a major challenge to try and create a mostly closed loop manufacturing system. But I strongly feel this can be done much cleaner than the dead end process of oil exploration, refining and consumption.

My basic rule is, are humans doing it? Yes? Then it's bad for the planet.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #577
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not suggesting it's a "now" problem, but it will be one in the future.
Ah, so basically the only reason we're looking at Duracell cars in the first place.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #578
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1) They give off almost zero break dust and on average less tire dust than ICE vehicles

2) There's no evidence the extra weight of a battery will do anything to roads that routinely have much heavier vehicles on them

3) Regardless of electricity generation, (and even with 100% coal generated electricity) electric vehicles produce fewer GHGs

4) Everyone agrees less vehicles is better than more, but EV>ICE for environment without any serious argument for the opposite
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #579
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This new Rimac Nevera is insane. 8.62 in the quarter mile.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #580
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
1) They give off almost zero break dust and on average less tire dust than ICE vehicles

2) There's no evidence the extra weight of a battery will do anything to roads that routinely have much heavier vehicles on them

3) Regardless of electricity generation, (and even with 100% coal generated electricity) electric vehicles produce fewer GHGs

4) Everyone agrees less vehicles is better than more, but EV>ICE for environment without any serious argument for the opposite
1. You and it appears everyone else that replied didn't bother to read what I wrote.

2. https://slate.com/business/2021/05/f...ic-weight.html

Quote:
That the trucks will be so heavy, however, is an unfortunate side effect. It will wear down roads, eat into air-pollution improvements, and harm whoever is unfortunate enough to get in the way.
Quote:
But electric vehicles still do pollute the air they drive through, in large part because they weigh so much. Local air pollution from traffic—the kind you breathe in, not the kind that heats the planet—is mostly caused by nonexhaust pollution such as brake wear, tire wear, road wear, and what the literature refers to as “road dust resuspension.” And those impacts are projected to rise with the adoption of heavyweight electric vehicles, in spite of improvements like regenerative braking.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote