Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #11501
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancharles View Post
i agree that the untouchable prospects for me are valimaki, andersson and kylington.

2019 1st
2020 1st(conditional on him signing)
dube
+

for stone is palatable.
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #11502
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with pinder. Also Steinberg is loony on this one. Take multiple opportunities at playoffs than one all in shot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #11503
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I can’t believe I’m agreeing with pinder. Also Steinberg is loony on this one. Take multiple opportunities at playoffs than one all in shot.
for arguments sake, a 26 year old stone re-signed is a way to give you multiple shots at the playoffs.

its similar to the discussion with the Hull trade.

Calgary gave up Hull, a future HOF'er, for their Stanley Cup (causality can be argued)...was that trade worth it?

not saying one or the other, but that's the kind of discussion being had, presumably, but the Flames braintrust
Old 02-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #11504
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, the only thing is if Stone signs with the club he is traded to, the Flames can't go after him July 1.

Will be an interesting next 72 hours that is for sure.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-22-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #11505
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As long as they don't trade futures for 2 months of Stone and actually re-sign him, they would get multiple shots at the playoffs.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #11506
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m just glad we got a wizard steering the ship, just gonna enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #11507
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also just listening to Bill Peter's after today's practice, someone asked him "How do you prepare for the trade deadline this time of year?"

Bill responded with "You don't... I like everyone on this team and want to keep everyone we have here"

Noted also:
- Trying to play Lindy, Tkachuk up and down the lineup.
- Flames have great guys in the minors
- Have 9 legit NHL defensemen
- Tre has done a great job with the team ahead of the season leading up.
- After asked about how much Bill and Brad talk about things like this he brought up 'Asset Management'

So my takeaways from this are that the Flames are comfortable with the team they have, defense seems to be set and no real big changes there. But trying Lindholm on other lines leads me to believe they are getting prepared for a Mark Stone acquisition which might lead to selling high on players and getting the most value out of some players in a trade.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #11508
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
for arguments sake, a 26 year old stone re-signed is a way to give you multiple shots at the playoffs.

its similar to the discussion with the Hull trade.

Calgary gave up Hull, a future HOF'er, for their Stanley Cup (causality can be argued)...was that trade worth it?

not saying one or the other, but that's the kind of discussion being had, presumably, but the Flames braintrust

Agree
The chances we draft a "Mark Stone" with one of our next 2 1st rounders (picks 20 to 28) is about 10% and that guy might be ready in 6 years after this window closes.

5 year minimum deal, preferably a 6 or 7 year
Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #11509
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Guess we can agree to disagree then.

Maybe his info was legitimate & maybe it wasn't but all posts like yours do is make people that might have legitimate info not comfortable to share it because they will just get attacked for posting it if it doesn't come true or if they don't spell out their rumor with all detail right off the bat.

If he had just left it at the first post then that would have been annoying but all of us pointed out that he wasn't sharing enough info - and when we did that he was willing to play along and provide a bit more detail by giving out what he was willing to share and I have no issue with that.

IMO in the end you insulting him as a poster twice was more disruptful to this thread, and malicious than anything he did. Even more so when you consider that other posters have mentioned not wanting to share things they've heard knowing that it's just going to get a reaction like the one you gave.
Well, we can agree to disagree here but over the years there have been lots of posters who have posted unsubstantiated 'i heard such and such' and I don't make it a habit of ####ting on them.

The guy with the victor rask or burakovsky rumour, I don't #### on that guy because he gives you up front what he knows and says it may or may not happen and this is what i've heard etc etc and follows it up. Hes, same deal. Transplant same deal. Me, same deal.

Maybe I was too abrasive, but there is always something, every year, designed specifically to rile up the fanbase which is what it appeared this latest poster was doing. Maybe I'm wrong and he's not doing that, but if you and I both agree he was trolling initially I don't see how I was coming down heavy handed.

If you've got something to share, share it. If you're playing the 'i know something you don't' game, don't share it. Or do, and let jerks like me call you a jerk for doing so.

I'm all for rumours, I love genuine rumours. I love little pieces of info to obsess over.

I don't like dudes with no track record posting a week out from the trade deadline that they know of a blockbuster with a hated rival that the fanbase would explode about...but that they can't talk about.

Maybe I should thank him though because it spurred one of the funnier posts i've made in awhile. A 1996 cadillac STS and a night with your wife. That was good ####.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #11510
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Also just listening to Bill Peter's after today's practice, someone asked him "How do you prepare for the trade deadline this time of year?"

Bill responded with "You don't... I like everyone on this team and want to keep everyone we have here"

Noted also:
- Trying to play Lindy, Tkachuk up and down the lineup.
- Flames have great guys in the minors
- Have 9 legit NHL defensemen
- Tre has done a great job with the team ahead of the season leading up.
- After asked about how much Bill and Brad talk about things like this he brought up 'Asset Management'

So my takeaways from this are that the Flames are comfortable with the team they have, defense seems to be set and no real big changes there. But trying Lindholm on other lines leads me to believe they are getting prepared for a Mark Stone acquisition which might lead to selling high on players and getting the most value out of some players in a trade.

Yeah but every contender says they are comfortable with their team the way it is before the deadline.

It is hockey cliche.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #11511
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the Duchene return it is likely going to cost 2 1sts with one being conditional. It is going to cost a top prospect so one of Kylington or Dube. There is a chance it will end up costing both. I would love to be able to keep Kylington out of the deal or ensure the Sens send back a depth Dman and Nilsson so it addresses all of our needs.

He would have to agree to an extension. To give up that much if not it would be a devastating blow
Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #11512
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yeah but every contender says they are comfortable with their team the way it is before the deadline.

It is hockey cliche.
Well absolutely.

But do you think Winnipeg (4-4-2 and being pressured by St. Louis' 11 game win streak) would have a different answer.

or Vegas (3-6-1 and closer to being 4th in the Pacific than they are to 2nd) would say maybe we have a few areas we can improve on.

I think it's an honest answer from Bill Peters, because the Flames could improve but if the playoff's started today they would be comfortable.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #11513
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Dorion: "We're in the process of trying to convince a few other guys to stay, but we have to be prepared for every possible scenario."
Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #11514
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Dorion: "We're in the process of trying to convince a few other guys to stay, but we have to be prepared for every possible scenario."
James Neal wouldn’t have to be convinced. They’d have him for 4 more years. Just in time for the spend to the cap promise
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #11515
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it would be because I don't think Brad makes the deal without some kind of verbal discussion on his appetite to re-sign here.

Having Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Stone, Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund for multiple playoff runs going forward isn't an all in one shot.

Steinberg did say Valimaki would be off limits for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #11516
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
I think we are getting one of two packages this deadline.

Stone - OTT
Howard + Kronwall - DET

or

Zuccarello + Hayes/McQuaid - NYR
McElhinney - CAR

And I would be quite content with either.
Kronwall told Holland he was not going anywhere so scratch that.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #11517
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Based on the Duchene return it is likely going to cost 2 1sts with one being conditional. It is going to cost a top prospect so one of Kylington or Dube. There is a chance it will end up costing both. I would love to be able to keep Kylington out of the deal or ensure the Sens send back a depth Dman and Nilsson so it addresses all of our needs.

He would have to agree to an extension. To give up that much if not it would be a devastating blow
Duchene netted

Abramov
Davidsson
and 2 1sts

equivalent value is like

Phillips
MEP / Zavgorodniy
and 2 1sts
Old 02-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #11518
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glancing at HF it seems like the Sens fans would be pretty pumped getting Dube back in a Stone deal
Old 02-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #11519
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Duchene netted

Abramov
Davidsson
and 2 1sts

equivalent value is like

Phillips
MEP / Zavgorodniy
and 2 1sts
Hmm I don’t know much about the Jackets prospects but I thought I read that was their 1st and 3rd best prospect. If I am mistaken then my valuation was off
Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #11520
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Matthews contract, with the huge signing bonus, could be affecting things right now.
ie., if Mark Stone is looking for most of the money up front, it makes it almost a surety that Ottawa will trade him...

For teams that are interested in him, it makes it hard to give up pick(s), prospects, etc., in addition to maybe having to pay him up front, if you can even sign him...

Especially hard on smaller market teams like Calgary and Winnipeg...
Closed Thread