Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #1001
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping that his lack of prime ice time is due to a grooming process and not solely reflective of merit, otherwise my hopes are dimming
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #1002
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBerra View Post
I ..

Regarding his production we just have to hope that his development increases rapidly. He plays ok along the boards but could stand to gain more grit. Personally I do not see much more than a Joe Colborne type player from him he has shown hands when he has the space but his production against high quality teams is not impressive.
If a Joe Colborne is what he turns into, that, plus Sieloff (if he recovers and develops as projected), would be a lot better than several of our 1st rounders in this century.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #1003
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
If a Joe Colborne is what he turns into, that, plus Sieloff (if he recovers and develops as projected), would be a lot better than several of our 1st rounders in this century.
Yeah but when Maatta was sitting right there and was a consensus better prospect it's a little hard to swallow. People wonder why some teams are always good and some always bad and that's a perfect example when a needy team like the Flames pass on the better prospect for a reach and a good team like the Penguins is all too happy to take the better prospect. Things like this are why there's always separation between good and bad organizations.

Best think Flames fans can do now is just be patient and hope that in three or four years he breaks out as a best case scenario. If he doesn't and is a bust as least the architect of that pick is no longer with the organization so we don't have to worry about Weisbrod inflicting any more damage to the organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #1004
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but when Maatta was sitting right there and was a consensus better prospect it's a little hard to swallow. People wonder why some teams are always good and some always bad and that's a perfect example when a needy team like the Flames pass on the better prospect for a reach and a good team like the Penguins is all too happy to take the better prospect. Things like this are why there's always separation between good and bad organizations.

Best think Flames fans can do now is just be patient and hope that in three or four years he breaks out as a best case scenario. If he doesn't and is a bust as least the architect of that pick is no longer with the organization so we don't have to worry about Weisbrod inflicting any more damage to the organization.
No, the difference between the good team Penguins and the bad team Flames is Crosby and Malkin, who basically fell in their laps after years of embarrasment.

You're making it sound like teams don't go off the concensus board all the time, especially after the first 7-8 picks.

What's your opinion on Poirer and Shinkaruk pick? Concensus said there's better prospect in Shinkaruk sitting their but we went off the board and took Poirer?

Matta was passed over by several teams just like Shinkaruk was. Not to mention Matta hasn't won the Norris or anything close to declare him the better prospect right now. He's in a good situation on a winning team. Don't forget couple years back Del Zotto, Gardiner etc were looking great. As a dman doesn't take look great one year and really bad the next.

Like you said lets wait and see how this plays out. Far too early.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #1005
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
No, the difference between the good team Penguins and the bad team Flames is Crosby and Malkin, who basically fell in their laps after years of embarrasment.

You're making it sound like teams don't go off the concensus board all the time, especially after the first 7-8 picks.

What's your opinion on Poirer and Shinkaruk pick? Concensus said there's better prospect in Shinkaruk sitting their but we went off the board and took Poirer?

Matta was passed over by several teams just like Shinkaruk was. Not to mention Matta hasn't won the Norris or anything close to declare him the better prospect right now. He's in a good situation on a winning team. Don't forget couple years back Del Zotto, Gardiner etc were looking great. As a dman doesn't take look great one year and really bad the next.

I agree time will tell, but if that's the only cause to post speculation this thread would be nonexistent. It certainly doesn't look good in my (totally unqualified) opinion
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #1006
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
While Colborne isn't a banger he leans on people and uses his size pretty well. I notice him when he's on the ice, he's able to control a lot of the play on the cycle.
...as well as break up the opposition's cycle on a consistent basis. Colborne is the right mold for a 3rd line center.

As for Janko, here's to hoping he can develop into that 2nd line role. If he can't, and maintains a career as a solid 3rd line center, I still count it as a win.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #1007
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lets get one thing out of the way. Maatta is by far the better prospect even without the book closed. Not really debatable when you look at where both players are today. Jankowski isn't remotely close to a dominant college player and in his 2nd season hasn't made strides while Maatta has played well in the NHL. Not even close.

The Oilers are proof that you just don't cultivate first round picks into a great team. There still is more to the Penguins than Crosby and Malkin. Also you are making it sound like Jankowski was a 1st round prospect and the Flames picked him only a few slots ahead. This was one of the biggest first round reaches in recent history as he wasn't even considered a 2nd round pick on a lot of scouting boards.

I have heard that Shinkaruk was lukewarm about the prospect of going to the Flames and if that's the case then it's probably best they passed on him. Poirier looks like a decent enough pick at the moment but that chapter hasn't even been written yet as neither player has played in the NHL. I'm actually more lukewarm on Klimchuk who to me looks like a Backlund clone lacking high end skills but he's supposedly of very good character which means he could be a good role player. At the end of the day if both Poirier and Klimchuk play roles on the Flames in the future it's a fairly successful first round.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-28-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #1008
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would still take Teravainen over Janko and Sieloff at this point. God that 1st round pick pisses me off to this day.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #1009
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I would still take Teravainen over Janko and Sieloff at this point. God that 1st round pick pisses me off to this day.
Meh, I wouldn't. Sieloff is looking like a great pick where we got him. I think Jankowksi's development seems to be going okay so far. We knew he was a project when he was picked like 4-5 years away so I don't know why fans are ready to give up on him after 1.5 years.

Plenty of time needed to fully judge that draft. I was pretty happy when it went down and I'm still pretty happy with how that draft went. If you can get a big, top two line centre in the first round, you take him. Even if it is a bit of a gamble. They are so hard to find. We've been looking for one for the last 20 years and finally have found one (Monahan) and perhaps another (Jankowski).

I'd probably rather have Maatta than Teravainen anyways.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #1010
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason I can think of why Sieloff was a great pick is because Feaster kept saying so. To me he looks like an average sized defenceman, who is trying to adjust his hitting game to higher calibre, bigger players and ending up being injured.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #1011
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only reason I can think of why Sieloff was a great pick is because Feaster kept saying so. To me he looks like an average sized defenceman, who is trying to adjust his hitting game to higher calibre, bigger players and ending up being injured.
You are aware that Sieloff's "injury" is a result of a staph infection caused by an injection, and nothing hockey related?

The excitement over Sieloff is a result of his game taking huge leaps and bounds since he was drafted and bringing a quality to the Flames blueline that is missing; physicality and ability to play at speed. He's a player that is pretty well regarded and was mentioned as the one player team USA would miss most at the World Junior tournament. He's smart, plays hard and is a bull back on the blueline.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #1012
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You are aware that Sieloff's "injury" is a result of a staph infection caused by an injection, and nothing hockey related?

The excitement over Sieloff is a result of his game taking huge leaps and bounds since he was drafted and bringing a quality to the Flames blueline that is missing; physicality and ability to play at speed. He's a player that is pretty well regarded and was mentioned as the one player team USA would miss most at the World Junior tournament. He's smart, plays hard and is a bull back on the blueline.
Actually the infection came from an injection that was part of treating a chronic hip injury.
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #1013
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Actually the infection came from an injection that was part of treating a chronic hip injury.
Do you have his medical charts or something?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1014
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Do you have his medical charts or something?

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on this site. The injury is discussed in this thread http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=131931
Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #1015
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Lets get one thing out of the way. Maatta is by far the better prospect even without the book closed. Not really debatable when you look at where both players are today. Jankowski isn't remotely close to a dominant college player and in his 2nd season hasn't made strides while Maatta has played well in the NHL. Not even close.

The Oilers are proof that you just don't cultivate first round picks into a great team. There still is more to the Penguins than Crosby and Malkin. Also you are making it sound like Jankowski was a 1st round prospect and the Flames picked him only a few slots ahead. This was one of the biggest first round reaches in recent history as he wasn't even considered a 2nd round pick on a lot of scouting boards.

I have heard that Shinkaruk was lukewarm about the prospect of going to the Flames and if that's the case then it's probably best they passed on him. Poirier looks like a decent enough pick at the moment but that chapter hasn't even been written yet as neither player has played in the NHL. I'm actually more lukewarm on Klimchuk who to me looks like a Backlund clone lacking high end skills but he's supposedly of very good character which means he could be a good role player. At the end of the day if both Poirier and Klimchuk play roles on the Flames in the future it's a fairly successful first round.
Maata without a doubt is the better prospect? Sure, if you believe that. The guy hasn't even played half a year but he's amazing.

I'll just give you a quick example: 2008 draft - Philly drafts Luca Sbisa 18th overall, plays half the year, does good. Philly sends him back to WHL anyways. Same time Oilers draft Eberle 22nd and he finishes the year 74 points in 61 games (dominant? not by any stretch). So my question half way through 2008 who would you say was the better prospect? Who is the better player today? Why is it quite easy to just say "its not even close" when you haven't seen the players play much? I saw the Pens play that one game against the Flames? Did I notice Maatta? No! maybe thats a good thing for a defenceman but I'd rather they try to hit a home run then try a bunt.

You are seriously going to argue that the Pens would still be good if they didn't have Crosby and Malkin? They got generational talents. You take out Crosby there first line of Kunitz and Dupuis become third liners. Go through that team, the difference in the Flames-Pens game was Sid. You say Oilers are a proof that first round picks don't cultivate into a great team but is that the players or the ignorant management up North?

Jankowski biggest reach? He was on some teams 1st round board, that has been reported, you can go find it yourself. He was surely on pretty much every scouting reports top 60. Biggest reach comment is laughable, I'll let you do your own research and prove yourself wrong.

So you're saying Poirer, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk are all unknowns because none have played an NHL game yet, but it's ok to pass judgement on Jankowski who also hasn't played a game in the NHL yet? Just because Maatta has played a game in the NHL, Janko is a bad pick? hmm, I see great logic in your thinking. If thats the case, Lightning were dumb to pick Drouin who hasn't played an NHL game because Monahan has and looks good?

Gillies has said they play a very tight defensive system at Providence, the only one guy over ppg. Look at the rest of them; 2, 3, 4 and 5 years older then him but around the same ppg production.

I'm not saying Janko is an amazing prospect and will be the best player out of his class, all I'm saying is at least let him play his college career. The sad thing is people were told he's a development project, will take time yet here some are crapping on him.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #1016
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well said.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #1017
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

great post chief. Everybody knew Jankowski was a long-term project in the first place, really irks me how people have started to write him off 50 games into his college career. I'm actually fine with his progress. If you keep in mind that

* he didn't come out of a good USHL programme like many other players who take the college route, but a very low level HS league
* he didn't go to the USHL as planned, but started his college career after the draft, resulting in an even bigger leap of competition
* he played on the wing in his first year, only recently started to play center at Providence

I really don't know what people expected. It's baby steps, really. That's why the long-term projects go that route, because they have 4 years to develop their game and gain weight if needed.

Quote:
The sad thing is people were told he's a development project, will take time yet here some are crapping on him.
that impatience was probably the reason why Calgary was so hesitant to start a proper rebuild. Just look at Sven now - the guy just turned 21 and some are already writing him off because he isn't a complete top 6 forward yet. It's laughable, really. Or sad. Or both.

Last edited by devo22; 12-29-2013 at 12:47 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #1018
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I separate Jankowski the pick from Jankowski the player. I think he was a poor pick from the perspective of the Flames needing shorter term and more certain prospects, plus, extenuating circumstances notwithstanding, he just isn't trending to be a special player at this point.

On the other hand, given that he was picked, I'm bullish on him being a decent at least player given his size and skill. Hopefully more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1019
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
that impatience was probably the reason why Calgary was so hesitant to start a proper rebuild. Just look at Sven now - the guy just turned 21 and some are already writing him off because he isn't a complete top 6 forward yet. It's laughable, really. Or sad. Or both.
If that is the reason then the Flames owners/management are idiots because the rebuild was coming whether they wanted it or not and this type of reaction from fans (which is always overblown by the oversensitive Jankowski defenders) is the same from every single fanbase.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #1020
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
He made the AHL at age 19 instead of going back to junior. He was going to captain the US WJC team.

He looks great for a 2nd rounder. Keep in mind well over half of 2nd rounders don't even become NHLers.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:

Tags
have some patience people