Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
chub
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131997
chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
But he was visibly flabbergasted when informed later of a coincidence of which he swears he was completely unaware: Both father and son were drafted 179th overall, 27 years apart.

''Really? Wow. Are you serious?'' a slack-jawed Flames GM said when informed of the coincidence.
wtf?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reading that article and it saying tidbits about each prospect and such..how can you not like what the Flames took in this draft..with the picks they had available!
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by calf@Jul 30 2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:
But he was visibly flabbergasted when informed later of a coincidence of which he swears he was completely unaware: Both father and son were drafted 179th overall, 27 years apart.

''Really? Wow. Are you serious?'' a slack-jawed Flames GM said when informed of the coincidence.
wtf?
WTF indeed. Since when is Sutter "slack jawed". Who the frick wrote that garbage?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by JiriHrdina+Jul 30 2005, 07:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JiriHrdina @ Jul 30 2005, 07:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-calf@Jul 30 2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:

wtf?
WTF indeed. Since when is Sutter "slack jawed". Who the frick wrote that garbage? [/b][/quote]
What is slack jawed?
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would assume the writer meant his jaw dropped when he heard about the draft number. Just poorly written.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Southern_Canuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

''I fit that Sutter stereotype pretty well and that's how the coaches are telling me to play this year,'' he told the Hockey's Future website. ''They want me to be the energy guy, the disturber and get the other team's top guys off their games and just get my team's energy up.''

An energy guy. If Calgary doesn't take him - where does he get drafted?

S_C
Southern_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Southern_Canuck@Jul 30 2005, 07:28 PM
''I fit that Sutter stereotype pretty well and that's how the coaches are telling me to play this year,'' he told the Hockey's Future website. ''They want me to be the energy guy, the disturber and get the other team's top guys off their games and just get my team's energy up.''

S_C
I don't care, probably as a UFA next year by the Flames.
He's as good a chance of making as any other teams 6th or 7th round pick.
I think its a cool story.

Any of Nonis' sons get drafted this year?

browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by browna+Jul 31 2005, 01:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (browna @ Jul 31 2005, 01:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Southern_Canuck@Jul 30 2005, 07:28 PM

S_C

[/b][/quote]
They'll never get drafted if they inherited the fat gene Nonis has.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by fotze+Jul 30 2005, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fotze @ Jul 30 2005, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-browna@Jul 30 2005, 07:34 PM
No, Nonis ate both his kids back in 2003. [/b][/quote]
I agree. The guy serioualy needs to diet.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #11
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope he doesnt get a big fat contract like the last Sutter.....atleast not until he proves he can earn it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick+Jul 30 2005, 06:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Patrick @ Jul 30 2005, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by fotze@Jul 30 2005, 07:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-browna
Quote:
@Jul 30 2005, 07:34 PM

No, Nonis ate both his kids back in 2003.
I agree. The guy serioualy needs to diet. [/b][/quote]
What the hell? He's not that bad.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:58 PM   #13
Southern_Canuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by browna@Jul 30 2005, 09:34 PM

Woah - a little sensitive?

I've never seen Brett play, It's just that if I was GM, and my son was a player, the last thing I would do is draft him. Let him make his own way, I say. Maybe in Brett's case, someone else takes him 6th or 7th round?

That being said, the draft is a crap shoot - really, I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter makes the NHL.

S_C
Southern_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
Gord Wappel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Deja Vu.

In 1998, the first son of a Sutter Brother, Brian's son Shaun, was drafted by the NHL's Calgary Flames. signed to an over-fat contract too.

nepotism sucks. Not impressed.
[caveat; other than that I appreciate Darryl Sutter greatly)
Gord Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #15
Gord Wappel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Deja Vu.

In 1998, the first son of a Sutter Brother, Brian's son Shaun, was drafted by the NHL's Calgary Flames. signed to an over-fat contract too.

nepotism sucks. Not impressed.
[caveat; other than that I appreciate Darryl Sutter greatly)

oops - I just noticed Table 5's comment.
Gord Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:27 PM   #16
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

have to agree the nepotism stuff is a little fishy. don't think Sutter will overpay his boy though, but we'll see

always love the comments at the bottom of the TSN stories, like the one guy who says its going to be a long year for the Flames because they had a bad draft...yep because every other team is going to have three or four draftees step right in to starring roles this season
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:03 PM   #17
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by looooob@Jul 31 2005, 04:27 AM
have to agree the nepotism stuff is a little fishy. don't think Sutter will overpay his boy though, but we'll see

always love the comments at the bottom of the TSN stories, like the one guy who says its going to be a long year for the Flames because they had a bad draft...yep because every other team is going to have three or four draftees step right in to starring roles this season
Maybe I am the only one, but I find drafting your son to be a solid conflict of interest.

Sutter lost a lot of credibility in my mind for that pick. Trust in Sutter and all that BS just went out the window for me.

Disgusting.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:08 PM   #18
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Neeper+Jul 31 2005, 01:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Neeper @ Jul 31 2005, 01:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Jul 30 2005, 07:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-calf
Quote:
@Jul 30 2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:

wtf?

WTF indeed. Since when is Sutter "slack jawed". Who the frick wrote that garbage?
What is slack jawed?[/b][/quote]
Some folk will never lose a toe
And then again some folk 'ill

Like Cleatus the Slack Jawed Yokel!

Old 07-30-2005, 11:10 PM   #19
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by dustygoon+Jul 30 2005, 11:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dustygoon @ Jul 30 2005, 11:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-looooob@Jul 31 2005, 04:27 AM

Maybe I am the only one, but I find drafting your son to be a solid conflict of interest.

Sutter lost a lot of credibility in my mind for that pick. Trust in Sutter and all that BS just went out the window for me.

Disgusting. [/b][/quote]
The sense from the article I read was that it wasn't Sutter's choice. The scouting team asked both the player and Darryl if they would be OK with it - this suggests it was not Darryl's idea.

I don't think its a big deal. If it was earlier in the draft sure, but at that spot - bah - no biggie.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by dustygoon@Jul 31 2005, 05:03 AM

Disgusting.
I'm not a fan of the move, but you could definetly give Sutter the benefit of the doubt.

He knows his own son better than anybody else, so perhaps he actually believes his son has what it takes to make it one day. Plus with the Sutter work ethic you know this guy will be pushed hard and of course has great genes.

So now that you're disgusted by Sutter are you going to boo him while the rest of the Saddledome gives him a standing ovation? Hate the Flames until he goes? You might be waiting a long time before that happens.