Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #161
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am an old-schooler, and I have a lot of respect for the traditions. I also think playing with respect is important.

Saying all that, I have absolutely no problem with Tatis swinging 3-0. Play the game to win. You load the bases, then go 3-0 on the batter - deal with it. Players have to play in the moment, and Tatis swung at a juicy tater.

Good for him, and his accomplishments should be celebrated - he is a very exciting young player.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #162
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unwritten rules are dumb as hell

Also

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #163
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Anyone else following this nonsense regarding Tatis Jr supposedly breaking one of baseballs unwritten rules?

The Padres were playing the Rangers and were up 7 runs in the 8th inning, the count on Tatis Jr was 3-0, bases were loaded, and he swung on the next pitch and hit a grand slam. Now Tatis apparently should have taken that pitch and Woodward, the Rangers manager, said he disrespected the Rangers and even the Padres manager, Tingler, apologized and said it was a learning moment for Tatis, which to me equates to the Padres manager capitulating and throwing his star player under the bus. Apparently Hosmer even went over to the Rangers and apologized on behalf of Tatis!

Like when is this #### going to end? One of the games most exciting young players hit a grand slam, the first of his career, and takes the MLB lead for home runs, and he has to apologize for running up the score? Not a surprise this is the Texas Rangers making a stink and stomping their feet as this is basically what they do best, get their asses kicked and point the finger at the team beating them. We all remember Bautista ruining the game of baseball for having the audacity to flip his bat! Punching him the face though is totally within the rules, so is throwing a hard projectile at a defenseless players head at 95 mph, totally cool. Grand slam on a 3-0 count though up by 7? Shame! This just flies in the face of everything I love about sports. Seeing the best do their best against the best. I want grand slams. Nevermind the fact that a 7 run lead in baseball is not a guaranteed thing, and a team should rarely take their foot off the gas. Especially in a shortened season when wins are very important. Ugh baseball can't get rid of this garbage soon enough.
Padres org should be embarrassed for not backing their guy. 7 runs isn't some insurmountable lead either. What a joke.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #164
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I have no issue with respect for tradition or respect for opponents, it's just the blind adherence to this unwritten code that really bothers me. Especially when the rules make no sense, like plunking players with a 95 mph fastball that could end a guys career, and permanently alter his quality of life, that is sanctioned within the "code". And phrases like "tradition" get used all the time to either absolve players of stupid acts, like plunking, or chastise players for accomplishments, bat flips and grand slams. And when arbiters of these unwritten rules speak up and criticize other players for perceived injustices when all these players are doing is trying to win, that really really bothers me.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #165
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Umps should have just thrown out the Rangers pitcher that threw behind the next batter. It was clear what the intention was there - just get that crap out of the game. It's so dangerous and for what?

The concept of not running up the score in baseball is so dumb too. Teams can (and on occasion do) come back from large deficits, which is why you keep piling on the runs if you can.

I will say it is fantastic that its the Rangers again - easy to hate that team.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #166
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pitcher got 3 games for throwing behind the next batter and Woodward got 1 game.

Also, I read that the Padres manager gave Tatis the sign to take and he either missed it or disobeyed.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #167
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rangers just love to complain about the unwritten rules and they’re the team that employs Roughned Odor. Go Figure.

Captain shoulder buzzer(Jose Altuve) is now hitting 0.167 through 25 games...curious...
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:43 PM   #168
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #169
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kinda like Trevor Bauer these days.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1296217790022549506
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #170
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I wish every team had a player that did something like that. It's funny, and brings personality. Of course, the white collar guys upstairs get butthurt.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #171
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #172
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stops his apology to do a home run call...so awkward.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #173
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the Matt Kuchar apology. “Everyone knows that’s not the kind of person I am”. Not so much.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #174
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stealing a base up 8? Plunk someone
Push a single to a double up 8 late ? Plunk someone
Hit a HR on a 3-0 count ? That’s baseball . Are people not suppose to swing anymore? These are professionals
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #175
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the unwritten rules tend to be upheld by the old guys. There tends to be this tension for the past few years between the Latin American players (where showing emotion and fun is part of the culture) and the old ass Americans (who think that's disrespectful). Personally, I think the old way of thinking is dumb and it's quickly falling apart, and the uptight traditionalists are having a hard time adjusting to new personalities. It's entertaining to see how stupid the old timers sound.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 08:42 PM   #176
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I think the unwritten rules tend to be upheld by the old guys. There tends to be this tension for the past few years between the Latin American players (where showing emotion and fun is part of the culture) and the old ass Americans (who think that's disrespectful). Personally, I think the old way of thinking is dumb and it's quickly falling apart, and the uptight traditionalists are having a hard time adjusting to new personalities. It's entertaining to see how stupid the old timers sound.
I read a quote the other day, not sure who said it...

"The reason unwritten rules are unwritten is because if they were written down you'd see how stupid they actually are"

Paraphrased, but something like that.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #177
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

As the forum's resident Rangers fan, I have zero problem with a major league baseball player trying to hit a home run. 3-0 count is irrelevant. If you can't swing why not make it an automatic 3-1 count?

Do I agree with some unwritten rules? Yes. Two outs, runner on first, full count, you don't throw a pick off play. When there's a pop-up the base runner can't run past a fiedler and yell 'got it!'.

However, this one is foolish.

Again, I'm good with it (I mean other than the generic giving up runs, no one likes that).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #178
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

What? Ive never heard of the no pickoff play with full count and 2 out. That's another ridiculous "unwritten" rule. Pulling an ARod is a ###### move that deserves a serious bean ball tho.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #179
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are about a month into the season, and things are starting to come into focus

With 8 playoff spots up for grabs in each league, there are now 8 teams in the NL that are .500 or better, and 8 teams in the AL that are .500 or better

I would imagine that will more or less continue to be the bar going forward

The jays are currently 13-11, .542, 1 and a 1/2 games up on the 9th place Orioles
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #180
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Tatis Jr. was just pulled from a 13-2 game, just in case.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote