Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #2521
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Darkseid is......
Baron Underbeit?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #2522
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Just listening to Eisenberg's Lex Luthor wrecks that whole scene.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #2523
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Just listening to Eisenberg's Lex Luthor wrecks that whole scene.
The whole point of Luthor is that he represents the worst parts of hereditary wealth and aristocratic power. It's not Luthor who is threatening, it's what he represents. The fact that he is an evil-genius level villain is just a bonus.

Kingpin on the Marvel side is a play off of the same theme, although with more of a mafioso bent.

Making Lex a sniveling idiot, I guess is a representation of what hereditary wealth has become in the 21st century, but it's threatening for entirely different reasons.

I'm still holding out hope that this is Lex Jr. and the Big Bad has yet to be revealed.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #2524
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The whole point of Luthor is that he represents the worst parts of hereditary wealth and aristocratic power. It's not Luthor who is threatening, it's what he represents. The fact that he is an evil-genius level villain is just a bonus.

Kingpin on the Marvel side is a play off of the same theme, although with more of a mafioso bent.

Making Lex a sniveling idiot, I guess is a representation of what hereditary wealth has become in the 21st century, but it's threatening for entirely different reasons.

I'm still holding out hope that this is Lex Jr. and the Big Bad has yet to be revealed.
Except that Lex Luthor was supposed to be an almost unrivaled genius. A normal man of extraordinary means who could pose problems to a being of unlimited physical power.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #2525
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

One thing I will say about the Darkseid design is that they managed to make it substantially different from Thanos, that it doesn't feel like a MCU Thanos ripoff. Pretty difficult to pull off, as Thanos was created as a Darkseid ripoff, and the MCU even made Thanos less maniac and more brooding Darkseid-like.

I'm actually starting to get excited for this. The Snyder-cut is the perfect Covid lock down film to enjoy. Not something I'd necessarily want to see in the theatre, but something that is perfect to satisfy my ongoing need for new cinema.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #2526
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Snyder-cut is the perfect Covid lock down film to enjoy. Not something I'd necessarily want to see in the theatre, but something that is perfect to satisfy my ongoing need for new cinema.
I hope the lockdown is over long before it gets released.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #2527
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

that 30 second trailer for Darkseid was better than the entire Mr. Overrated Josh Whedon directed film.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #2528
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
that 30 second trailer for Darkseid was better than the entire Mr. Overrated Josh Whedon directed film.
The one thing Snyder excels at is making moments. His ability to put together a comprehensive narrative....
Old 06-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #2529
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

One thing that sticks out to me with DC, especially after playing the Injustice games, is how bad they are at making superhero names. I mean the big bad in Injustice 2 is Brainiac, they keep making a point of how powerful and sinister this guy is but all that stuck with me is how stupid his name is. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Cyborg, all their core justice league characters are as basic as it gets with names. And then you have Darkseid from the planet Apokolips, which sounds like an edgy teenager was tasked with naming rights. Marvel, while having their own share of -man/-woman names, at least puts a little more originality in the rest and less cringe
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #2530
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
One thing that sticks out to me with DC, especially after playing the Injustice games, is how bad they are at making superhero names. I mean the big bad in Injustice 2 is Brainiac, they keep making a point of how powerful and sinister this guy is but all that stuck with me is how stupid his name is. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Cyborg, all their core justice league characters are as basic as it gets with names. And then you have Darkseid from the planet Apokolips, which sounds like an edgy teenager was tasked with naming rights. Marvel, while having their own share of -man/-woman names, at least puts a little more originality in the rest and less cringe
You're really looking at names that were created in the 60s or earlier. Marvel was just as bad back then. That's kind of just the way comics were in the golden era and early silver area. Most characters had names that were very descriptive of their powers.

Look at Spiderman's roster of villains, which includes: the green goblin, the vulture, electro, the rhino, etc...Or the x-men of Fantastic Four's first villains. You have Magneto, master of magnetism (very similar to Braniac). The Mole Man...master of mole like men. Dr. Doom.

I actually find the late 90s/early 2000 names far cringier. Then the trope was to give everyone these hip and edgy generation X type names. The names would basically be things like Spike, Statix, Darkhawk, x-treme, Adrenalynn, Bloodstrike, etc...Much worse IMO.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #2531
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You mean the company who has characters named Iron Fist, Power Man, Peter Porker, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Ant Man, Ms Marvel, Mr. Fantastic, the Thing, Dr. Strange, New Mutants, Deadpool is way edgier?
Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #2532
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You mean the company who has characters named Iron Fist, Power Man, Peter Porker, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Ant Man, Ms Marvel, Mr. Fantastic, the Thing, Dr. Strange, New Mutants, Deadpool is way edgier?
Oh....I cant wait for that movie. Directed by Sam Raimi I presume?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #2533
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Into bestiality, are you? ;P
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #2534
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually it will be directed by Ham Raimi....
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #2535
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
It's already out....Peter Porker is the alter-ego of Spider-Ham, who was featured in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

....I think you were hoping for something more exciting.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #2536
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What? Is there some revisionist story that has created Luthor as an entitled rich kid from money to be in line with modern day sensibilities? Luthor as imagined by Bernie Sanders or something?

Because the Luthor I remember was intelligent, deceptive and scheming and because of that, able to accumulate wealth and power. Not an aristocrat who inherited everything.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #2537
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What? Is there some revisionist story that has created Luthor as an entitled rich kid from money to be in line with modern day sensibilities? Luthor as imagined by Bernie Sanders or something?

Because the Luthor I remember was intelligent, deceptive and scheming and because of that, able to accumulate wealth and power. Not an aristocrat who inherited everything.
Smallville's Luthor was very much Daddy's little scion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor_(Smallville)
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #2538
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

The character is actually Lex Jr. His father supposedly died 15 years before BvS.

I agree though it'd be a lot better if they brought Lex Sr. back.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #2539
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My complaint about BvS Luther was he was too evil. He blew up a building killing hundreds of people. I prefer a Lex who is an anti hero and who can join the JL to take on huge world ending threats.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #2540
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is pretty cool!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275129609399353344