Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The movie becomes better once you realize that Ferris doesn't exist, and that Cameron has been in a Coma since Elementary School.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #82
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Nobody else has seen The Room? Don’t get me wrong, I loved it, but it truly is a terrible movie
As stated earlier in this thread, I don't think it serves a purpose to discuss movies that were never going to be good. Crazy filmmakers, intentional B-movies, and shoestring budget films shouldn't be held to the same standard as legitimate studio movies.

Buuuuuuttt, if you want to go down that road...haaaave you met Birdemic?

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #83
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about worst, but it is the only movie I've ever walked out of, and that was Eddie Murphy's Raw. I was exhausted and not paying attention (long trip followed by long stretch of work), boyfriend at the time said let's go to a movie and I didn't even ask what we were seeing.

I'd say about half the theatre got up and walked out not quite halfway through. A lot of booing prior to people starting to leave.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #84
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
All I'm getting from this thread is the fact that people need to redefine what the phrase "worst movie ever" means to them. There's no way a film like Reservoir Dogs or Lost in Translation could be the worst movie you've ever seen. Not even close. Try harder.
Nah, you're missing the "seen" part from the title. Since a lot of folks have different tastes, the worst movie they have ever seen will vary from person to person. I've never seen Reservoir Dogs, and from what I've heard of Lost in Translation, it sounds like a movie that, if I was forced to watch, I'd find it pretty bad.

When I picked my 'worst movie seen', I picked one from among the genres of film I actually enjoy watching. If I'd gone outside of that parameter, my answer would have been quite different.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #85
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I don't know about worst, but it is the only movie I've ever walked out of, and that was Eddie Murphy's Raw. I was exhausted and not paying attention (long trip followed by long stretch of work), boyfriend at the time said let's go to a movie and I didn't even ask what we were seeing.

I'd say about half the theatre got up and walked out not quite halfway through. A lot of booing prior to people starting to leave.

That's a bit surprising, it was a massive success and is still considered one of the best comedy specials of all time. What set people off? The rampant homophobia?

e: "Raw" made twice as much money as Kevin Hart's stand up film "what now?", but was released 30 years earlier.

Last edited by Matata; 06-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #86
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
I recently watched Justice League on a plane - just terrible. I've heard that this was somehow better than Batman V Superman (which I never saw). How???
Because Batman V Superman was that bad. It's only redeeming quality was Wonder Woman.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #87
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Nah, you're missing the "seen" part from the title. Since a lot of folks have different tastes, the worst movie they have ever seen will vary from person to person. I've never seen Reservoir Dogs, and from what I've heard of Lost in Translation, it sounds like a movie that, if I was forced to watch, I'd find it pretty bad.

When I picked my 'worst movie seen', I picked one from among the genres of film I actually enjoy watching. If I'd gone outside of that parameter, my answer would have been quite different.
LOL, then people need to see more movies before responding to this thread.

It's like saying the worst meal I've ever eaten is filet mignon, only because I'm wealthy and I've never had the misfortune to eat truly bad food. Other people have willingly consumed dog food, so their opinion on what the worst meal ever has a little more weight to it.

The thread isn't "What's the one movie that everyone else liked that you hated". We've already done that thread.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I've seen some bad ones on account of people with poor taste, I'll go with a couple of recent ones, I dont know about 'all time worst.'

- Sausage Party - We rented this at home and walked out of it.

- Jupiter Ascending - Still no idea what that movie was about.

- Most of DC, but lets stick with Suicide Squad. Just an unapologetic mess.

- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Self explanatory, just.....not good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #89
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Hated Ferris as a character - wanted him to get caught. Selfish, lying, manipulative jerk who used his friends and family.
And yet...incredibly charming. Probably his only redeeming quality.

Is he one of the first true anti-heroes in American cinema?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #90
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me it was 'The Grey'

And I like Liam Neeson!
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #91
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL, then people need to see more movies before responding to this thread.

It's like saying the worst meal I've ever eaten is filet mignon, only because I'm wealthy and I've never had the misfortune to eat truly bad food. Other people have willingly consumed dog food, so their opinion on what the worst meal ever has a little more weight to it.

The thread isn't "What's the one movie that everyone else liked that you hated". We've already done that thread.
But that's the entire point, isn't it? This isn't a contest to determine what is the worst movie ever and who's seen it, it's an opinion question.

So yes, the answers you are going to get are going to different, and everyone's is going to be valid, from filet mignon to dogfood. That's how personal opinion questions work.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #92
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

That first star wars movie with jar jar. I can't even remember the name.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #93
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But that's the entire point, isn't it? This isn't a contest to determine what is the worst movie ever and who's seen it, it's an opinion question.

So yes, the answers you are going to get are going to different, and everyone's is going to be valid, from filet mignon to dogfood. That's how personal opinion questions work.
Agreed, but only to a certain extent. When people are throwing in critically acclaimed films or oscar nominated films in the mix, they are begging the question of why they found it to be the WORST movie they've ever seen. Would you not agree?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #94
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, but only to a certain extent. When people are throwing in critically acclaimed films or oscar nominated films in the mix, they are begging the question of why they found it to be the WORST movie they've ever seen. Would you not agree?
I explained that in my first post on the matter. I personally, generally find critically acclaimed and/or Oscar nominated to be a strike against a film. I find them generally boring and if I'm forced to watch them, uninteresting. My tastes, when it comes to movies, run towards Sci-Fi and Comedy. Two genres rarely seen up for Oscars

So my opinion on the worst film I have seen is going to be very different from someone else's opinion (esp if they like Oscar/critically acclaimed stuff). Both our opinions are just as valid. Unless, of course, you are trying to claim some kind of elitism.

Just because [x] like something, doesn't mean everyone does, should, will or has to. It also doesn't invalidate the opinion of the person who doesn't.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #95
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Excess Baggage.
Really? It's been a while, but watched that at a work camp like 20 years ago and don't remember it being that bad.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #96
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I explained that in my first post on the matter. I personally, generally find critically acclaimed and/or Oscar nominated to be a strike against a film. I find them generally boring and if I'm forced to watch them, uninteresting. My tastes, when it comes to movies, run towards Sci-Fi and Comedy. Two genres rarely seen up for Oscars

So my opinion on the worst film I have seen is going to be very different from someone else's opinion (esp if they like Oscar/critically acclaimed stuff). Both our opinions are just as valid. Unless, of course, you are trying to claim some kind of elitism.

Just because [x] like something, doesn't mean everyone does, should, will or has to. It also doesn't invalidate the opinion of the person who doesn't.
Of course not, but it also probably shouldn't be considered the worst thing you've ever seen. That's my point. There's a huge chasm between not liking something and considering it the worst ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #97
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Suicide Squad (I was actually angry at the end of this, ####ing terrible piece of #### movie)
I had the same response, but thankfully I did not pay to see it. I watched it on a plane and was also angry about how bad it was.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #98
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course not, but it also probably shouldn't be considered the worst thing you've ever seen. That's my point. There's a huge chasm between not liking something and considering it the worst ever.
True, and that's why it's a personal opinion, not written in store undeniable fact.

But you can't seem to accept that. Let's take me, for instance...I told you I like Sci-Fi.

So let's say I watch 1000 sci fi movies, and Lost in Translation. While the sci fi movies range from amazing to horribad, Lost in Translation will still be the worst I have seen, because I don't like the genre of movie to begin with (I just read the synopsis for it, and it sounds like a movie that would put me to sleep inside of 10 minutes...). To me, even a bad sci-fi movie is better than a critically acclaimed drama. A lot of people feel that way about their preferred genre. They'd rather watch a bad example of their preferred genre over an excellent example of a genre they don't like.

I don't "need to watch more movies"...I've seen 1001 movies. it's just that 'your' movie, LoT, is of a genre I don't like, while the others are, good or bad. So, in my personal opinion, LoT would be the worst of the 1001 movies I've seen...regardless of it's critical acclaim.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #99
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh, I've seen some bad ones on account of people with poor taste, I'll go with a couple of recent ones, I dont know about 'all time worst.'

- Sausage Party - We rented this at home and walked out of it.

- Jupiter Ascending - Still no idea what that movie was about.

- Most of DC, but lets stick with Suicide Squad. Just an unapologetic mess.

- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Self explanatory, just.....not good.

I had such high hopes for Sausage Party, and it was crushingly bad and unfunny.

I swear that Jupiter Ascending was supposed to be this centuries tank girl, but Tank Girl worked because it was goofy and they knew it. Jupiter Ascending lacked any kind of charm, and had a goofy dog guy on space roller blades.

The whole DC Universe has just been a mess, maybe its time to just put it to an end, they can't beat Marvel, they don't have the formula to beat marvel. Wonder Woman was the only bright hope, but that's not enough.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #100
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will second Jupiter Ascending.

I'm pretty forgiving for science fiction movies, but this was completely unwatchable. You simply could not follow the plot. Nothing makes sense.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad movies , worst movie