Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Amazing Spiderman 2 ***SPOILERS***

Figured I'd start this so we dont bog up the movie thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
But it doesn't have to be this way. Comic books can be a medium for real, serious work - granted, only Sandman and Watchmen really reach that highest plateau but that goes to show you it can be done. Why limit the genre, as well as the movies that come from it, to some artificial quality ceiling? I want a good comic book movie and a good movie.
I don't think there's a quality ceiling, but I think there is a suspension of reality that we all have to assume with these things. For example in the Avengers people complain about Thors ability to come back to Earth, which essentially negates the ending of his solo movie, get explained away with one line of dialogue about "dark enery" and doesn't get mentioned beyond that. I personally am fine with that. I came to watch the Avengers, not how Odin was able to send Thor back.

I also look at these movies as extensions of the characters canons, rather than an attempt at copying old stories to the screen and thus I don't view them as blasphemous if they change something. Just like when a new writer/artist takes on an established character, they get creative license to do what they will. Sometimes they follow the established formula, sometimes they veer away from the source severely. Sometimes the interpretations will be good and sometimes bad in books and movies. Some will be satisfactory and some will redefine the genre.

There are some awful comic movies. Spiderman 3, Green Lantern, etc.. but I really don't think this classifies as one of them or a bad movie in general. Even sitting here a day later I can't really think of any plot holes that bothered me enough to take away from the movie. Maybe some people can point them out, but if it didnt bother me while watching, I personally probably don't care enough about whatever it was to let it ruin it for me.

I was curious to see if they actually had the balls to kill off Gwen given the family-friendly nature of most of it. I was happy they did and it will make for way more interesting dynamics of MJ and likely Black Cat in the next one. If Gwen was still around you would always know he would go back to her.

I like that they show Peter's scientific acumen much more in these ones. His experiments on his webs was a good scene.

Also did anyone else think they saw the symbiote on the power line into Peter's garage before the scene with the batteries?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm stoked that pretty much every trailer and interview ruined Gwen Stacey's death for me.

You'd think that would be something you'd keep close to the chest, but what do I know?
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I'm stoked that pretty much every trailer and interview ruined Gwen Stacey's death for me.

You'd think that would be something you'd keep close to the chest, but what do I know?
Although to be fair, I think a lot of people knew Gwen was getting the axe this film.

Probably why they cut out MJ for Spiderman 2.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post

Yeah I would agree. Although I really thought they might do that scene but have her survive. I love Emma Stone but im glad she didnt. My buddy who I went with had only watched the first trailer. He thought Electro and Rhino were the main villains and didnt even know Goblin was in it. I think he enjoyed it more than he would have otherwise for that reason.

my one main issue with the movie is that is is not called Spectacular Spiderman. Especially because they seemed to be following that arc more or less.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Killing Gwen is just like killing Uncle Ben. The character just isn't the same going forward without the tragedy. It helps make the hero. As much as you don't want it to happen, and you want her to make that plane, it pretty much has to happen.

Anyone else think that Norman didn't really die?

And from doing some reading, it sounds like they are doing up to 4 Spider-man movies, with possible Venom and Sinister 6 movies with Spidey cameos. But I'm not sure about the order.

It will be interesting to see how they build the team, with the Lizard, Electro, Green Goblin, Rhino, Doc Oc, and Vulture. Or if they decide to add Sandman, Mysterio, Kraven, or a Hobgoblin/second goblin.
mac_82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
It will be interesting to see how they build the team, with the Lizard, Electro, Green Goblin, Rhino, Doc Oc, and Vulture. Or if they decide to add Sandman, Mysterio, Kraven, or a Hobgoblin/second goblin.
Going by the movie (or at least what they teased) the lineup will consist of Green Goblin, Rhino, Doctor Octopus, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, and Vulture. I wonder if Colm Feore will end up taking the mantle as Vulture, as he pretty much looks the part. I also suppose we've already seen who Doctor Octopus is going to be, since the scientist performing tests on Electro should be him.

I suppose that all depends on if they want to keep their origin stories in line with the comics, but they could easily take that route.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did I miss them teasing Kraven?

I saw the Octopus arms, and the Vulture wings where the Rhino armour and Venom was stored.
mac_82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think every comic movie should be The Dark Knight. In fact, I don't even think it would be possible to tackle some of these heroes with the same level of seriousness present in Nolan's Batman. On the whole, I really enjoy what Marvel has done with their characters and the Avengers tie-in stands as one of my favorite comic book movies to date.

Back to ASM 2, Gwen's death was brutal in this movie. I was in the dark as to whether they'd kill her but I assumed it would happen. Even still I thought the way she hit the ground was incredibly jarring.

I am still not a fan of the parents side-plot. It didn't really add anything (except to the runtime) and quite frankly I thought it took away from the significance of Uncle Ben.

I too like that Peter is shown to be scientific/intelligent. That's a huge part of his character to the point where he's considered one of the most intelligent people in the Marvel universe. I also like that he's not some bumbling nerd.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've read it seems like the plan is to do a Venom movie and a Sinister 6 movie and then Spiderman. Kind of an interesting way to go, could be cool to see the villain story arcs develop without having to cut back to the hero all the time.

There is also apparently a teaser for Carnage in the ASM2 video game I think Webb has been quoted as wanting to see Carnage on film. I think you could do a whole symbiote arc with Venom Carnage, then a movie of them bringing together the S6. And then the big battle!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Back to ASM 2, Gwen's death was brutal in this movie. I was in the dark as to whether they'd kill her but I assumed it would happen. Even still I thought the way she hit the ground was incredibly jarring.

I am still not a fan of the parents side-plot. It didn't really add anything (except to the runtime) and quite frankly I thought it took away from the significance of Uncle Ben.
Yeah, that's one of the reason's I thought they maight have Gwen survive. The death is pretty violent for a cartoony movie. I didn't think she hit the ground, I thought it was just the whiplash from the web. But it was hard to tell it happened so fast. There were some young kids in front of me in the theatre, I could imagine it being pretty intense for those kids.

I liked the parent stuff if only for the reason that it gave some more specialness to Peter as Spiderman. Showing it wasn't just random that it worked for him and couldn't have been just anyone. But maybe that kind of takes away from the whole point of Spiderman as an everyday kid trying to make a difference.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a really terrible quality video of the scene where it looks to me like her head slams into the ground.

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a really terrible quality video of the scene where it looks to me like her head slams into the ground.

Also a nice little homage to the comics, The clock strikes 1:21 when she dies (The night Gwen Stacy died - issue 121)

Side note - did anyone else think the final web Peter shot looked like a hand reaching out to Gwen?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Although to be fair, I think a lot of people knew Gwen was getting the axe this film.

Probably why they cut out MJ for Spiderman 2.
Gwen did get cloned by the Jackal in the comics, and could return.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alternate scene as per IMDB, although it could be false.

Quote:
According to the actors, the original Goblin vs Spiderman fight was longer and more violent, but had to be cut in order to keep the PG-13 rating. Things that were cut included a scene where the Goblin (Dane DeHaan) is conscious when Gwen dies and laughs at Peter as he cries over Gwen's body and a scene where Peter almost beats the Goblin to death after Gwen is killed.
Quote:
There were several different endings filmed, including one where the Goblin (Dane DeHaan) snaps Gwen's neck with his bare hands. But this was deemed too violent for a PG-13 rating. A version where the Goblin fatally stabs Gwen was also filmed. Ultimately, both were cut and replaced with the version that is seen in the film, which closely resembles the comic book version of the events
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have liked to see the first one honestly.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #16
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favorite thing about this PG-13 movie:

The trailers including "A Million Ways to Die in the West" R rated trailer... So many kids in the theater and having Sarah Silverman described her job was priceless
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This was an unusual way to kill a main character. The visualization of the hand reaching out was nicely down. Usually we just see the person die and assume they're dead. They did a nice homage to how she died in the comic book.

Overall it made a ok film better.

I turned to my buddy and wondered when she snapped like that if she would poop her britches, to which he responded, yeah, I probably wouldn't want to hold her for long.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What I thought when I saw the scene was that the web broke her back, then her head (and heels) slammed into the floor, making good and sure she was dead before Spidey even got to the floor.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
What I thought when I saw the scene was that the web broke her back, then her head (and heels) slammed into the floor, making good and sure she was dead before Spidey even got to the floor.
And then she pooped.

nobody dies pretty in real life.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah after re-watching that \I'm pretty sure she hit her head. The back would have made more sense IMO, as her head probably would have exploded with that type of impact.

Also the description of that first alternate ending makes me think a couple things.

1) How much more violent could it have been to not maintain a PG-13 rating? Unless there's heads rolling I don't see how it could have been bumped to R. And even in that case LOTR movies should've been rated R as well. I've seen some pretty line-toeing PG-13 movies.

2) I would like to see a director's cut.

Last edited by Coach; 05-05-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote