Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Almost Human

Didn't see a thread dedicated to this so I figured I should start one. First couple of episodes are out for Almost Human.

From TV.com
Quote:
The year is 2048, and the streets are as mean as ever. Fortunately, the police have a new tool in their arsenal- Synthetics, robots who are tasked with assuring the safety of the humans who created them. But not everyone is pleased with the changes. Detective John Kennex, who has been wounded in action, returns to the force and learns that his new partner is a Synthetic named Dorian. Dorian's programming is much more advanced than that of the normal Synthetic, making him seem almost human, but John still mistrusts the machine at his side. Can they work together as a team?
Good thing is it beats Blacklist the other show I started watching and almost as enjoyable as SHIELD. Bad thing is it's running on Fox... lets hope this doesn't pull a Firefly. Seems like an interesting concept, it's kind of a cross between Judge Dredd's and Blade Runners dystopic future. I enjoyed the first couple of episodes so far, anyone else watching this? Thoughts?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's on Global on Monday nights.
Caught the premiere/pilot thought it looked pretty good so I'll most likely watch more.
As you noted has a Judge Dredd/Blade Runner & IMO I Robot feel to it.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I enjoyed the first two eps. It's got some action and a bit of humor. I cracked up when Karl Urban told the android to "quit scanning his balls".
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting so far for sure but one thing that seems to be in most sci-fi type ideas like this, are humans really going to build robo hookers the first chance we get after getting the tech to build androids?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Interesting so far for sure but one thing that seems to be in most sci-fi type ideas like this, are humans really going to build robo hookers the first chance we get after getting the tech to build androids?
Yes.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Of course!

I have enjoyed the first couple of episodes.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should see what the Japanese are doing with the Oculus Rift and the Novint Falcon :cry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned this in the other TV thread, but I like it so far... my biggest complaint is that it's not gritty enough for me, I would have liked more of a cyberpunk feel to it, but here even the noodle-houses and illegal medical offices feel pretty clean other than some green lighting. Ealy is really good, he does an excellent job of feeling a little uncanny, without looking wooden. I do hope that like Fringe, it ends up going somewhere much more interesting than just a couple cops dealing with their various emotional baggage and solving technology-themed cases. But if this is the setup to something bigger, then it's a good setup.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
It's on Global Fox on Monday nights.
fyp...

Enjoyed the first two episodes. The second was much better than the first, but pilots are normally not that great with character development. Like the DRN coming into play way more in the second episode. Some good comedy in there and some interesting backdrops as well.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty good CGI/special effects for a t.v. show so far. Nothing worse than bad special effects to ruin a show. Hopefully they keep it up.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
fyp...

Enjoyed the first two episodes. The second was much better than the first, but pilots are normally not that great with character development. Like the DRN coming into play way more in the second episode. Some good comedy in there and some interesting backdrops as well.
Is this an inside jab at Global? Because it's definitely showing on Global.

http://www.globaltv.com/almosthuman/index.html
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

No real hook for the show yet. And if this is just a futuristic police procedural serial TV show I can't see this lasting. They need more character development and a ongoing story arc. There is potential here, but it's pretty average so far.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
Is this an inside jab at Global? Because it's definitely showing on Global.
Yeah, sorry, hate Global. Do all I can on Shaw to never watch anything on Global, CTV, City, etc. We don't need any of them. The shows are already there on the American networks we pay for.

It's a Fox show. Global just buys it and resells it to Canadians for no reason.

But that's for another thread...sorry, couldn't resist the jab.

Last edited by Igster; 11-21-2013 at 11:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, hate Global. Do all I can on Shaw to never watch anything on Global, CTV, City, etc. We don't need any of them. The shows are already there on the American networks we pay for.

It's a Fox show. Global just buys it and resells it to Canadians for no reason.

But that's for another thread...sorry, couldn't resist the jab.
Joke's on you, most of the time canadian networks override the broadcasts on the american channels for those shows.

no.. there is a reason... they buy it so they have the canadian broadcasting rights of the show, so canadians watch it on them, and so that (as my previous statement says) they can have their station broadcast the show over top of the american signal. so the reason is: so they have viewers watching their station to watch their ads. I'd much rather help a canadian station make money by watching their ads vs an american company.

And so what if Global buys a show and shows it.. it makes absolutely no difference to you whether you watch it on global vs fox... just because a station buys the canadian rights for it, apparently you have to hate that station just because of that?

also: saying you hate TV stations in canada because they have shows that are american has got to be the stupidest reason ever, oh no, canadian channels show american programs, must hate them...

and don't need them? Well then we wouldn't get any canadian content on air or even any that gets over to the states, yes there are very few of those at all, but without the major networks in canada there would be 0 produced canadian content, and with canadian content there are jobs, money that goes to the industry, cities, provinces, etc....

so end of story, you should actually watch the canadian networks and not the american ones.

also: it's your choice to pay for the american stations

Last edited by flamesfan6; 11-22-2013 at 01:39 AM.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh I know all the reasoning and know all about simsibs. This isn't my first rodeo and no, the joke is not on me. This is why I sub to Shaw. I NEVER watch a show on a Canadian network or an American network that has been hijacked (simsubbed) by a Canadian network. I can watch the east or west feed, depending on Global, CTV, etc. and when they are showing it. My wife and I avoid Canadian simsubs 99.9% of the time on Shaw. Thank you Shaw.

And no, I shouldn't watch the Canadian networks. I don't want to see bad Canadian advertising (when and if we watch a commercial) and the show is not always identical...sometimes inferior HD is used or inferior sound quality and more time than not, previews for next week are taken out so Global or whoever can promote some other show they are simsubbing.

And don't get all high and mighty about Canadian jobs. Canadian networks choose to buy and resell American shows and don't put any money into creating Canadian content because it's cheaper, easier and something that Canandian's will actually watch. Don't blame the people wanting to watch the American content presented the way it is on American channels when Canadian networks don't lift a finger or spend any money to create Canadian shows, but just buy and resell the same content we already can get from American channels.

/hijack over...back to Almost Human.

Last edited by Igster; 11-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So far so good. Like the characters, actors, and chemistry...production value is good...dialogue isn't cringe worthy yet...story lines so far are borderline...needs a good ongoing story plus menacing foe...score by the crystal method is most welcome and suits the show. And Minka is hoooooooooottttttttt!!!
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I know all the reasoning and know all about simsibs. This isn't my first rodeo and no, the joke is not on me. This is why I sub to Shaw. I NEVER watch a show on a Canadian network or an American network that has been hijacked (simsubbed) by a Canadian network. I can watch the east or west feed, depending on Global, CTV, etc. and when they are showing it. My wife and I avoid Canadian simsubs 99.9% of the time on Shaw. Thank you Shaw.

And no, I shouldn't watch the Canadian networks. I don't want to see bad Canadian advertising (when and if we watch a commercial) and the show is not always identical...sometimes inferior HD is used or inferior sound quality and more time than not, previews for next week are taken out so Global or whoever can promote some other show they are simsubbing.

And don't get all high and mighty about Canadian jobs. Canadian networks choose to buy and resell American shows and don't put any money into creating Canadian content because it's cheaper, easier and something that Canandian's will actually watch. Don't blame the people wanting to watch the American content presented the way it is on American channels when Canadian networks don't lift a finger or spend any money to create Canadian shows, but just buy and resell the same content we already can get from American channels.

/hijack over...back to Almost Human.
As someone who works in the Canadian Entertainment market - You can go fudge yourself.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
As someone who works in the Canadian Entertainment market - You can go fudge yourself.
Thanks. Right back at ya.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. Right back at ya.
seriously just move to america then since you apparently don't care about canada at all. Anything that promotes jobs in canada, money into canada, no matter how small is good.

Also, nice response, very mature, you mention that you don't care about canadian jobs so a person responds as he works in the industry, You respond with that because why?? .. no seriously, why? You hate him for the fact that he took offence to you saying that his job shouldn't exist?

Oh, and in my experience with the stations, I've had more quality issues with american networks than the canadian ones.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
seriously just move to america then since you apparently don't care about canada at all. Anything that promotes jobs in canada, money into canada, no matter how small is good.

Also, nice response, very mature, you mention that you don't care about canadian jobs so a person responds as he works in the industry, You respond with that because why?? .. no seriously, why? You hate him for the fact that he took offence to you saying that his job shouldn't exist?

Oh, and in my experience with the stations, I've had more quality issues with american networks than the canadian ones.
Thought we could get back on topic, but I guess not. I get "very mature" for my response to someone telling me to "go fudge myself"? Ok then...

I stated why in my response. It's nothing personal, but I'm sick of Canadian companies getting rich off of American content and not doing anything to further the Canadian industry other than ride on the coat tails of American networks we already receive and pay for.

What does Global for example bring to the table? Their newscasts? Other than that what do they do but buy American content, and simply resell it to Canadians. I'm supposed to be thankful for this? Do you think our cable and satellite bills are so high because of the American content? Is there a reason why I need to have and pay for crappy Canadian channels, just to get the content I want on American channels? Why the hell should I pay extra to get the same damn content resold to me under the guise of being "Canadian"?

Put some money into the industry. Create your own content that people actually want to watch and then get back to me on charging me for it. Until then, I'm allowed to have my own opinion and it doesn't make me more "American" or wanting to move there anymore than the next guy.

I hope this response meets your expectations.

Tags
androids , dystopia , sexbots