Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #3301
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
2 stroke or 1?

I guess it depends on the local rule, but the one I deal with allows you to drop in the fairway in line from where the ball went out, with a 2 stroke penalty.

A lost ball/OB penalty is the 'stroke and distance' rule. So in this scenario, you hit your tee shot into the trees (Stroke 1). You go up, can't find it. So the rule is that you'd have to go back tee it up again (Stroke 2), then you hit that one straight down the fairway (Stroke 3). Now you're hitting 4.

This is the same as hitting a provisional. Tee shot into trees (Stroke 1). Tee up provisional (2). Hit provisional (3). Can't find first shot, hit provisional (4).

Under the new rule, hit your tee shot (1), can't find it. Drop with 2 stroke penalty (2, 3), and hit that shot (4).

Compared to a typical penalty area shot. Hit into water (1), drop (2), hit (3).

And while it's most common from the tee, the idea is that you 'recreate' your original shot. So if you go OB or lose your ball from a bunker, you'd go back and hit from the bunker. Or the rough. Or fairway, etc. But now the typical local rule would have you dropping in the fairway.

Last edited by Roughneck; 08-29-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #3302
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
haha, but this is the other side of golf cheating. I love how it can go both ways.
Each August long weekend my course has a Men's Scramble that involves lot's of money in entry fees and buy in's. You have golfers that will go from one tourney to another with inflated handicaps. This year we refunded 2 groups as other entrants reported what they were doing. They knew they got caught and didn't complain.

I don't play in it myself and like to call it the Sand Baggers tourney.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #3303
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
This is now officially a 'local rule' issue, and I think most clubs use it as such. OB and Lost Ball play as a lateral with a 2-stroke penalty.
Is that a local rule though? I read the rules earlier this year () and I think that’s how it’s written? It’s to speed up play for those times when you’re sure that you’ll find it and then can’t.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #3304
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I'd say I'm fairly honest with notable exceptions.

1. Lost balls I play as laterals. I think this is pretty widely used... I will do stroke and distance if I have gone OB or into the thick brush or whatever. But If I think there is a decent chance I will find it, I don't hit a provisional.

2. Gimmes inside of 2 feet. It really bugs me when people give me a putt outside of that. Then there is this awkward, no I will putt it out followed by a miss 80 % of the time. Then they expect I am also going to give them 3 footers and when I don't they just take them.

3. This one may be controversial since it is completely subjective. I would be taking pins out inside of 20 feet or so if we were not in a pandemic. Nothing sets me off more than putting a birdie/par putt into the centre of the cup followed by a weird pin bounce and a burn of the edge. So if the putt is inside 20 feet (the range I would be taking the pin out), the weight was perfect, as in it wouldn't have gone past the cup more than 18 inches and it is DEAD centre, I'm taking that putt bounce out or not.

I prefer to putt all my putts out, with no gimmes. The point of golf is to get the ball in the hole, so I don't get why people want to stop trying when they get to within 4 feet. I find this helps me in stroke play tournaments when I'm used to putting out and others are used to taking gimmes. I politely let people I know on the greens that I like to hit all putts and I've never had an issue. Since I'm not usually in a game against others, I don't care if they take gimmes from 10 feet. I don't care if they cheat or beat me. The only score I care about is mine. In a match play event I don't give a lot of putts. I don't care if it makes you mad. I also think it's hilarious when I don't give a putt, the opponent misses it, and then blames me because I should have given it to him. If he made them all, he could get mad. If he misses one or two, that's the reason I don't give them. This misplaced logic always baffles me.

As for pins, I prefer to keep them in when playing alone. It saves so much time. In a tournament, with the new rules, I'll probably take them out, but I haven't played one since the rule came in and covid wasn't in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #3305
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
2 stroke or 1?
Two strokes. It is a stroke, plus distance, which means another stroke as that is what it would take to return to the tee and get to location of your drop. Here's how it works.

You hit your tee shot OB. You have two options under the rules. Option One:
You may re-tee and hit your third. One stroke for the shot off the tee. One stroke penalty for lost ball. Re-tee and hit your third shot that you hope is in play. You are then hitting four on your next shot. Option Two: Go to where your tee ball went out of bounds, go to the edge of the fairway and take your drop, and you are hitting four. One stroke for the tee shot. One stroke for the lost ball, then one stroke for distance to get to where you are dropping. You are hitting four, just like in the first scenario, but are saving time of having to go back to the tee and hit another shot.

Make sense?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #3306
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I am absolutely fascinated by the rules of golf. IMO the average duffer or mid handicapper would struggle to break 100 if they played with a PGA official beside them.

Fun fact: I just read you can take the 2 stroke penalty anywhere on the course, not just off the tee. Putt off the green and into a trap and don't have a lie? Return the ball to where it was and take a 2 stroke penalty.

Handicaps are another interesting area of debate. You can't log a round if you played solo according to the rules. So if your handicap to start the year is a 15, and you golf alone all year and start shooting in the 70's, your handicap remains a 15. So do you deviate from the "rules" and log them anyway so you can play by the rules in a tourney? Because you are now breaking the rules!!

People with vanity handicaps don't bother me either. I see guys all the time that are a "1" that are more like a 10. You're only hurting yourself if you enter tournaments, because when you have no gimmies and have to count EVERY stroke, you are now playing to a 10 with your net score.

Other weird ones that I think I have right:

- ask for advice? That's a stroke
- move your ball without marking it? Stroke
- improperly mark your ball? stroke
- stand behind a player putting to get a read? Stroke
- player asks if you need their ball marked, you say no and then hit it? Stroke
- accidentally hit your ball when teeing it up? No problem, no stroke. Do it on the fairway though? Stroke.
- Hit into GUR and lose your ball? Free drop, no penalty!

Anyone else have any weird ones to share? I love hearing them.

Last edited by Tron_fdc; 08-30-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #3307
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Other weird ones that I think I have right:

- ask for advice? That's a stroke
- move your ball without marking it? Stroke
- improperly mark your ball? stroke
- stand behind a player putting to get a read? Stroke
- player asks if you need their ball marked, you say no and then hit it? Stroke
- accidentally hit your ball when teeing it up? No problem, no stroke. Do it on the fairway though? Stroke.
- Hit into GUR and lose your ball? Free drop, no penalty!

Anyone else have any weird ones to share? I love hearing them.
Asking for (and giving) advice is a 2-stroke penalty (or loss of hole in matchplay). Standing 'in or behind the line of play' falls under advice getting and is also a 2-stroke penalty/loss of hole.

The exceptions to this (not the line of play stuff) are where you have a playing partner (4-ball, alternate shot, etc.) where you can give and receive advice from your playing partner and their caddie or in team competitions where a Team Captain can give advice.

Also covered in this rule: Touching a player's bag; 2-stroke penalty/loss of hole. Looking into it and seeing what club isn't there? No penalty. 'You can look, but you can't touch'.

To add a quirk is that yardages and layout don't count as advice, but anything involving club selection or strategy is. So:

'There's a creek beyond that hill about 250 out'. General information, no penalty. 'Don't hit a driver, there's a creek beyond that hill.' Intended to influence club selection: 2 stroke penalty/loss of hole.

Last edited by Roughneck; 08-30-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Just adding stuff all the time
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #3308
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are folks opinions on Wolf Creek? I'm thinking about going out next weekend. I've always heard good things about the Old Course but I'm seeing some comments that the Links course might be better. Which should I pick?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #3309
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
What are folks opinions on Wolf Creek? I'm thinking about going out next weekend. I've always heard good things about the Old Course but I'm seeing some comments that the Links course might be better. Which should I pick?
Old course is awesome. Went last year. No idea of its condition this year though.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #3310
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Links Course has more sand than I’ve ever seen in my life, I loved the Old Course though. Both are pretty impressive and seem to always in good condition.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #3311
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any of you guys fans of Travis Mathew golf shirts? They are a little on the pricey side but I personally think they are the best golf shirts for our weather. I also noticed they just direct people to golf town online and even then there isn't that much selection. Been tossing the idea of getting some more stock and really pushing Travis Mathew online more than I do, what do you guys think?

On a completely different note, try to get up to Coal Creek this season before its over. $56 weekday rate for an immaculate, fun course. I know its a bit far from Calgary but if you ever want a hidden gem it was a treat to play this season, Coal Creek is it.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #3312
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

$100 for a golf shirt is stupid
EverfresH15 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #3313
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought a $45 Nike golf shirt a couple weeks ago on sale, and still felt like I overpaid.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CRXguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #3314
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So, just kind of curious, how honest are you guys with your scores? I’m pretty much completely honest I’d say, and sometimes it pains me to be that harsh! I played with a guy this week (not a CPer that I’m aware of) and at the end of the round he had beaten me by about 6-7 strokes. I don’t really care...but at the same time there were a lot of holes where he had hit into the trees or whatever, couldn’t make putts and overall just wasn’t that good. His handicap is about 10 strokes better than mine I guess. So, I got to thinking, I wonder how honest people are with their scores in general?
Not super honest but am generally consistent. I don't play tournaments, leagues etc. and for the past few years have only golfed with my (only) buddy or my wife and we all pretty much follow the same rules so it kind of evens out over a round between everyone.

The main things I am less than honest about:
1. mulligans. I'll take a few every round but generally try to limit myself to one per nine holes. But if I honk one off the first tee I'm probably teeing up another one.

2. playing lost balls as a single stroke penalty. One in, one out so I'm playing my third where I drop it.

3. the occasional foot wedge. If I am in a lie that might damage my club (rocks for example) I'll move it. Also bare patches, tire tracks etc. that are not 'supposed' to be where they are.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #3315
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Any of you guys fans of Travis Mathew golf shirts? They are a little on the pricey side but I personally think they are the best golf shirts for our weather. I also noticed they just direct people to golf town online and even then there isn't that much selection. Been tossing the idea of getting some more stock and really pushing Travis Mathew online more than I do, what do you guys think?

On a completely different note, try to get up to Coal Creek this season before its over. $56 weekday rate for an immaculate, fun course. I know its a bit far from Calgary but if you ever want a hidden gem it was a treat to play this season, Coal Creek is it.
i will only buy TM if they are on sale. too much
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #3316
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Congrats DoubleK...that's a big accomplishment. Was it on 18 or 9?
It was at men's night at River's Edge in Okotoks which is only 9 holes.

Played Speargrass this weekend and shot 46-35. Missed a putt for 34 on 18.

Probably won't break 50 tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #3317
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
100%
Great track!
It's on my 'must play at least once annually' course list.
Ardor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #3318
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
$100 for a golf shirt is stupid
I own quite a few golf shirts and last week I was at Cross Iron and went into the Mountain Warehouse across from Pro Hockey Life and they have great golf shirts basically same quality as all the big names $12.99.
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gravitykillr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #3319
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love golf but what a frustrating game sometimes. Played Kananaskis yesterday, it was a spectacular day and not a breath of wind. To prepare I went to the range a few times last week and things were relatively decent. On the range warming up prior to my round I was hitting the ball okay too. Not great but pretty decent and relatively straight. Striped my opening drive down the middle and that was the only fairway I hit all day. Not even close to keeping the ball straight off the tee. And '0 for' on the par threes in terms of hitting the green. So a grand total of one ball on the fairway/green all day. At least my putting and sand play was good.

But pretty hard to complain playing that course.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #3320
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here tried a belly putter? I've realized that I need to sink more putts to get my scores down. Maybe someone here has one and I could borrow it for a few rounds if you've given up on it?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow