Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #21
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I haven't watched Futurama in years so I am surprised to see it nominated for best animated program. Do they still make new episodes of Futurama?
This last season was the final one. Not as good as it used to be (and certainly not consistent), but there were some really solid episodes. The finale was a nice end to things, IMO. Apparently Groenig was trying to get another channel to sign. No idea if that's still in the works. I'd say Archer is the most deserving for that category. This last season nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Damn, you can actually be spoilered by emmy nominations. Just started the first two eps of a certain series and see actors are nominated as "Guest actors". So that means they will not continue on?
Haha yeah I noticed that with one of them and thought "boy I'm glad I watched that season..."

I'm not a huge awards show follower but the competition for this is insane.
Drama and Male categories have zero clear winner.

Surprised OITNB was even allowed to be classified as a comedy, but it's got a way better chance there.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #22
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Korra should've been nominated for animated series.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #23
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Yes. And they are quite funny, thanks.
Modern Family, sure (though I haven't heard anyone talk about in a couple years)

Big Bang Theory was never funny.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Modern Family, sure (though I haven't heard anyone talk about in a couple years)

Big Bang Theory was never funny.
Disagree. I have laughed quite a bit at Big Bang Theory. The wife and I still enjoy it. Not sure how people couldn't find it funny. It was better in the beginning, but it's still fun for a half hour.

And Modern Family has been funny since the start and continues to be funny. So just because you haven't heard anyone talk about Modern Family it's no longer good?

Both of these shows are funnier than most of the half hour sitcoms that are passed off as funny such as crap like The Millers.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Potlandia is the funniest show, but does it qualify for comedy series? Too avant-garde? Not enough episodes in a season (10)?

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2014/07/portl...iple-emmy-nods

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Fred Armisen
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series – Steve Buscemi
Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series – Jonathan Krisel
Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series – Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein, Jonathan Krisel, Graham Wagner, Karey Dornetto
Outstanding Art Direction for Variety, Nonfiction, Reality or Reality-Competition – Tyler Robinson, Schuyler Telleen, Katherine Isom
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series – Bill Benz, Daniel Gray Longino

Cosmos - 12 nominations:
Outstanding Documentary Or Nonfiction Series
Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Direction for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Art Direction for Variety, Nonfiction, Reality or Reality Competition Program
Outstanding Cinematography for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Picture Editing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Main Title Design
Outstanding Musical Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score)
Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
Outstanding Sound Editing for Nonfiction Programming (Single or Multi-Camera)
Outstanding Sound Mixing for Nonfiction Programming and
Outstanding Special and Visual Effects.

Last edited by troutman; 07-11-2014 at 08:40 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #26
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Disagree. I have laughed quite a bit at Big Bang Theory. The wife and I still enjoy it. Not sure how people couldn't find it funny. It was better in the beginning, but it's still fun for a half hour.

And Modern Family has been funny since the start and continues to be funny. So just because you haven't heard anyone talk about Modern Family it's no longer good?

Both of these shows are funnier than most of the half hour sitcoms that are passed off as funny such as crap like The Millers.
I almost like Big Bang Theory -- yes, I laugh at some of the jokes. But the incessant laugh track and insufferable characters ruined it for me very early.

Agreed on network sitcoms though, 99% of them are just trash. It's baffling how something like Two and a Half Men is STILL one of the top sitcoms. Popular taste has really gone downhill the last ten years. Even mega popular 90's shows like Friends and Seinfeld are still great and funny shows to watch. The only comedies I've genuinely enjoyed in the last decade are Arrested Development and Community (which both struggled to find a mainstream audience).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #27
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I rather enjoy Mom as well. Undateable this summer was pretty damn funny too. I agree, 2 and 1/2 men is still on the air why? The Millers...why?
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awards , edmontonisnogood , emmys