Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh hell yes! I loved Pacific Rim. It was probably the most "fun" movie I have seen in a long time. Ill be all over the sequel. Its too bad that Stacker Pentacost died, Id like to see Elba continue the role but that obviously can't happen.

Hopefully we get a look at Brawler Yukon or a newer Canadian jaeger.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know. I liked Starship Troopers and Machete because they were winking at you the entire time full of funny one-liners and some ridiculous scenes (Machete). It appeared Del Toro was attempting to make a fun (not funny) but serious Sci-Fi movie and unfortunately it was on the level of Starship Troopers without the humour and I still stand by my opinion that the acting as some of the worst I've seen in a movie of this budget. I generally like his work so I'm hoping that in the sequel if he decides to at least upgrade the story and spend some of the budget on actors.
I still think that Starship troopers, was one of the best satire/commentary movies made in the last long while when it comes to the discussion of individual rights and freedoms, and how the government functions/fails to function.

the two sequels lost that.

If you read the book it becomes a way more dire and dark storyline.

It was intentionally supposed to be cheesy and uplifting like the war propaganda movies of the 40's and 50's.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still think that Starship troopers, was one of the best satire/commentary movies made in the last long while when it comes to the discussion of individual rights and freedoms, and how the government functions/fails to function.

the two sequels lost that.

If you read the book it becomes a way more dire and dark storyline.

It was intentionally supposed to be cheesy and uplifting like the war propaganda movies of the 40's and 50's.
I saw it in theatres when it came out and still remember more laughs in the theatre than a lot of comedies. It was one of those rare movies that's brilliance flew over the head of many critics at the time who didn't know what to make of it and missed the point of the movie.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Best exchange in the movie and leads to the brutal nature of what was portrayed as an ideal society from the films point of view.

Quote:
Jean Rasczak: All right, let's sum up. This year in history, we talked about the failure of democracy. How the social scientists of the 21st Century brought our world to the brink of chaos. We talked about the veterans, how they took control and imposed the stability that has lasted for generations since. We talked about the rights and privileges between those who served in the armed forces and those who haven't, therefore called citizens and civilians.
[to a student]
Jean Rasczak: You. Why are only citizens allowed to vote?
Student: It's a reward. Something the federation gives you for doing federal service.
Jean Rasczak: No. Something given has no basis in value. When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.
7 of 7 found this interesting | Share this

Dizzy: My mother always told me that violence doesn't solve anything.
Jean Rasczak: Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.
[to Carmen]
Jean Rasczak: You.
Carmen: They wouldn't say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.
Jean Rasczak: Correct. Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn't solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst; people who forget that always die.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Just watched this movie because of this thread: enjoyed it immensely. At the base of it, you can't help but laugh at yourself watching a giant robot battle a giant alien monster. At least, that was how I felt.

Such a throwback to being a child: "If you take a giant <insert big thing here> and make it fight a giant <insert big thing here>, who would win?" Even the way the monsters resembled different animals made me laugh a little bit: "Here we have a hammerhead shark thing, here's a scorpion thing, oooh look: that thing runs like a gorilla."

But it wasn't subversive of the genre at all. Starship Troopers is among my favourite movies of all-time for the ingeniousness of having nazi humans battle bugs without conscience. You realize quickly on reflection that you should be cheering for the bugs. Only other movie I can think of off the top of my head that was as hilariously subversive was Three Kings, which got David O Russell ostracized from Hollywood for quite some time once people figured out what it was really about.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know. I liked Starship Troopers and Machete because they were winking at you the entire time full of funny one-liners and some ridiculous scenes (Machete). It appeared Del Toro was attempting to make a fun (not funny) but serious Sci-Fi movie and unfortunately it was on the level of Starship Troopers without the humour and I still stand by my opinion that the acting as some of the worst I've seen in a movie of this budget. I generally like his work so I'm hoping that in the sequel if he decides to at least upgrade the story and spend some of the budget on actors.
I think the problem is del Toro wrote it as a nod to shows a lot of the audience has not seen. He openly admits it's a love letter to the old animated robot shows he knew as a child. This didn't include Transformers which is the mecha show most people are familiar with.

It's very visible in the mecha designs. For example, the one shown in the flashbacks clearly references the old Gundam show's Guncannon (del Toro admitting the connection...and then pointing out ones I didn't even notice). Heck, even the posters look like box art for collectible figurines and set the stage for a movie that is heavily influenced by eastern mecha media.

The narrative, tropes in place, is very much paint-by-numbers. Every twist did not have any emphasis and fell into the category of "knew it already". He didn't go for comedy but it didn't feel like he really wanted you to care about it either. The feeling I got that was that he wanted to make it so cliche and predictable that you didn't really care...the same way I don't think anybody couldn't predict Independence Day outside of the egregious use of Macs. Of course, Independence Day also had better actors to smooth over the corny dialogue.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched the original Godzilla the other night, it was a guilty pleasure because the only monster was Godzilla. It was cool to watch.

I guess I didn't enjoy as much of Pacific Rim as I could of because it just struck me as them trying to hard to follow the standard giant monster versus human script instead of trying to do something new. I was grateful that they didn't show the American flag waving slowly in the background whenever someone made a speech.

In terms of Starship Troopers, your right, we should have been cheering for the bugs, and I think that was part of the point. The human's were really the villains in that movie in the face of a heavily militant human Federation that needed to constantly be at war or have an enemy to keep peoples minds off of the fact that they had very little in the way of freedom.

The one line that always struck me as brilliant in that movie is when Ironside said something to the extent that "Making up your own mind is the only freedom that you have" There was a sinister underlying message to that simple statement that you might have the freedom to make up your mind but the consequences take away that choice.

It was a shame that the sequels really ruined the first one.

Tags
awfulmovie , cheesy , jaeger , kaiju