Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #3621
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

"You know what's hilarious about sexual assault?" Might be one of the best lead ins I've ever heard.

Was definitely satisfied with that special. I thought Burr's previous one was a bit weak but he bounced back like a champ
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #3622
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1171200127815434240
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #3623
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
"You know what's hilarious about sexual assault?" Might be one of the best lead ins I've ever heard.

Was definitely satisfied with that special. I thought Burr's previous one was a bit weak but he bounced back like a champ

Bill Burr's good, but man he talks so much about himself that he's almost narcissistic. He wants to come across as the tough guy know-it-all, but just physically doesn't have the presence. Good material, but something about him I don't like, and I think it's always talking about himself.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #3624
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Most comics talk about themselves a lot. Burr definitely would not describe himself as tough. Anger issues, yes. Tough guy, not a chance.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #3625
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Bill Burr's good, but man he talks so much about himself that he's almost narcissistic. He wants to come across as the tough guy know-it-all, but just physically doesn't have the presence. Good material, but something about him I don't like, and I think it's always talking about himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Most comics talk about themselves a lot. Burr definitely would not describe himself as tough. Anger issues, yes. Tough guy, not a chance.
One of my absolute favorite Bill Burr bits is the "What are you, a (homosexual slur)?" I think it really showcases just how much men struggle with macho stereotypes and highlights just how uncomfortable Burr personally is living up to those labels.

If he's coming across this way it is intentionally ironic.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #3626
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, a major touchstone of his comedy is macho repression of emotion to an unhealthy degree. It's not a tough guy act, it's an older generation hangup.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #3627
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord, all these people seem adept at is missing the point of stand-up comedy. The writer, likely unknowingly, just proves Burr's points:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90402673...bout-bill-burr

Quote:
If Burr actually thought he had anything to lose by complaining about how hard it is to be a comedian in 2019, that the diehard fanbase he’s carefully cultivated over decades of stand-up wouldn’t come along for this ride, he might comport himself differently. But because he knows there’s a brewing cultural backlash aligned with his own beliefs about what topics should remain forever fashionable, he is able to couch his old-fashioned ideas in the premise that they’re just too powerful and dangerous.

They’re not, though. They’re mostly just hostile expressions of aggrievement. That’s been part of his bread and butter all along anyway, but now the focus of his ire has shifted. Whereas once he yelled about how fat people eating too enthusiastically at the airport disgust him, now he’s yelling about how hypothetical fat people might respond to his fat jokes, given the climate.
Quote:
There’s that word “triggered” again, the absolute worst thing a person can be in a comedian’s eyes, even though very few people, at least in my endless scrolling of the internet, seem to identify that way in earnest anymore. These comics—and the reactionary pundits suddenly cheering them on—are so obsessed with belittling the outraged that they can’t even take a second to bask in the victory of having banished ‘triggered’ from one side of the discourse. Instead, they churn out more material about how the people triggered by the wrong things are bad and the brave heroes triggered by those people are actually amazing. The irony of it all is lost on them.
Strange, because that's his exact message. He's not lamenting the age of comedy, he's pointing out how utterly stupid it all is. By decontextualizing his special and being triggered by exaggerated comedy routines the writer has essentially proven him right. It's insane. Don't be upset that you missed it, or that your perspective might just be open to criticism. It's not his fault if the other side internalizes it as justification for their own beliefs. In fact he has a whole bit about this in one of his previous specials (I believe it was Sorry You Feel That Way).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #3628
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I admittedly didn’t like the Burr special much, I think I mostly find his deliver a bit grating. That said, the people writing articles or commenting online about the content of the jokes are, in fact, the subject of the jokes.

It’s incredible that people don’t get it. Comedians have resorted to making fun of and trolling people who get upset by comedy. You’re the joke, idiots. Writing ANOTHER “think piece” about how blasé ‘triggered’ comedy is just makes the jokes even better.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #3629
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, that was cringey.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #3630
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I admittedly didn’t like the Burr special much, I think I mostly find his deliver a bit grating.
Same actually. I really like Burr, but thinking about it I probably find him more entertaining than laugh out loud funny.

I find it hard to laugh when someone is screaming I guess. I still enjoyed it though, but found Chappelle's funnier.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #3631
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually liked Burr's special and didn't care for Chappelle's that much. That said I find things like the "safe spaces" and "edgy" trans jokes to be kind of low-hanging fruit at this point. And it's not really a political spectrum thing for me either because I feel the same way about Trump jokes at this point. They're just kind of stale.

It's also kind of hilarious to hear comedians bitch about all the things they supposedly can't say due to some nebulous, hypothetical consequences they've never actually faced, delivered on a platform to an audience that rewards them massively for their "edgy" content.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #3632
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I admittedly didn’t like the Burr special much, I think I mostly find his deliver a bit grating. That said, the people writing articles or commenting online about the content of the jokes are, in fact, the subject of the jokes.

It’s incredible that people don’t get it. Comedians have resorted to making fun of and trolling people who get upset by comedy. You’re the joke, idiots. Writing ANOTHER “think piece” about how blasé ‘triggered’ comedy is just makes the jokes even better.
My friend is a fervent feminist and she loves Bill Burr. She’s watched his special twice already. We go see raunchy comedians like Burr and Doug Stanhope all the time and if she gets offended she never says anything about it.

The people you’re talking about need to understand what comedy is. It’s not meant to be taken completely seriously. I didn’t agree with some things he says in the special but I don’t let it bother me because he’s making jokes.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #3633
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite are the people that will criticize because he said something they don't agree with. It's like they just don't understand what comedy is. Half the crap that someone like Bill Burr says, he doesn't even agree with. His whole thing his entire career is going on stage and impersonating the loudmouth ####### in the corner of the bar.

Jim Jefferies actually said it best. "There's a big difference between things I think and things I think are funny. This is a comedy show,it isn't a TED talk."

Not thinking someone's funny is totally fine, but to criticize it because you don't agree with it? You're not supposed to agree with it. That's part of the joke..

Edit: re-reading my own post it kind of seems weird coming out of context. Just a pile of random thoughts I've had on comedy over the last 2 days

Last edited by btimbit; 09-14-2019 at 01:45 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #3634
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Binged the new season of the Ranch last night. I know it's too low brow for most of you, but I quite enjoyed it and I'll be disappointed when it finishes up next season.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #3635
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Binged the new season of the Ranch last night. I know it's too low brow for most of you, but I quite enjoyed it and I'll be disappointed when it finishes up next season.

That ending though

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #3636
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had to rank Bill Burr specials from favourite to least favourite I'd have them like this

Let it Go (2010)
You People Are All The Same (2012)
Why Do I Do This? (2008)
I'm Sorry You Feel That Way (2014)
Paper Tiger (2019)
Emotionally Unavailable (2003)
Walk Your Way Out (2017)

If you haven't seen those top three you owe it to yourself to drop what you're doing right now and go find them

Have his newest one about middle of the road for all his work but still better than most stuff out there right now

Last edited by btimbit; 09-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #3637
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Did you notice the weird shooting of this special? I couldn't figure out what I liked about it then I listened to his appearance on Rogan's podcast. He explained that our stupid fidgety culture today has created all these ever changing camera angles that go from balcony to front row to side stage really quickly to feed our need for quick change and stimulation.

He said he liked the idea of Royal Albert Hall because as a drummer he loves Bonham and loved Zeppelin's concert at RAH specifically. He asked his producer to recreate old concerts specials where you felt more like you there because they'd pick a camera angle and keep you there for awhile.

He loved that it made you feel more like you were experiencing it like a fan who was actually sitting in that area where the camera was instead of shooting it like a ADHD commercial style shoot like all these specials now a days.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-14-2019 at 07:40 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #3638
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had an actual Hollywood director that he's worked with before come and direct the thing too. Definitely had a neat look to it
Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #3639
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/media...lix/index.html
'Seinfeld' is heading to Netflix in 2021
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #3640
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp: