Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #2361
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's funny but I remember Randy Carlyle and GG both were mentioned last year on the Flames coaching rumors. Would of took Randy easily.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #2362
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Jayswin: I doubt it happens much at all. Like you said its usually for people already with the team. I'm just not 100% sold on Tippett so if we're fantasy firing/hiring I'm applying fantasy conditions.
Fair enough, haha. I personally want Darryl Sutter and won't allow myself to accept any counter points that I've read on here, lol. Posters have talked about how his coaching style doesn't match our players and I just don't see it, maybe partly because I don't want to see it.

But I seriously think if you bring Sutter in, the team relaxes their play on the ice while tightening up their intensity and discipline and we start winning and don't look back. They look so tight and focused on playing perfect systems hockey right now and I believe Sutter changes that immediately and lets our abundance of talent shine.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #2363
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
It's funny but I remember Randy Carlyle and GG both were mentioned last year on the Flames coaching rumors. Would of took Randy easily.
I would’ve taken a paper weight over gg
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #2364
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sutter took a bunch of random players to the scf. Imagine what he would do with this roster
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #2365
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
Sutter took a bunch of random players to the scf. Imagine what he would do with this roster
The 2011/2012 LA King’s were supposed to contend. They made the bid trade in the summer for Richards and had young and in prime players in Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown that we’re ready to contend.

In December they were 10th in the west and fired Terry Murray and replaced him with Sutter. Lombardi did not stop their as he flipped Jack Johnson and a 1st to Columbus for Jeff Carter who was also traded by Philly the summer prior and was not happy in Columbus.

The team went on a run to clinch the 8 seed and then steamrolled the NHL playoffs.

Some similarities with the current Flames. Big summer moves and a young team had people expecting much more than where they are today which happens to be 10th in the West.

Hire Sutter and make a trade for a scoring forward and we will win the cup
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #2366
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

We can talk systems and coaching all we want and their is something to that, however the compete level of this team is very inconsistent, thus the teams results are as well. I've heard it said before, and i agree, this team needs a lot more guys who really hate losing. to me there aren't enough of these guys on this team
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #2367
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

The double edge sword for me is if GG is fired and it leads to Cameron taking over. I hope that it is new blood taking the reins if he is sent packing.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #2368
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
The double edge sword for me is if GG is fired and it leads to Cameron taking over. I hope that it is new blood taking the reins if he is sent packing.
I would say if Gulutzan is fired, the whole staff goes with him. If they don’t collectively get sacked, then Treliving should get sacked when the team misses the playoffs.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #2369
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The hated Oilers only trail the Flames by three points. I don’t like it when my focus is on teams behind us in the standings rather than those we need to hunt down.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #2370
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
We can talk systems and coaching all we want and their is something to that, however the compete level of this team is very inconsistent, thus the teams results are as well. I've heard it said before, and i agree, this team needs a lot more guys who really hate losing. to me there aren't enough of these guys on this team
That's where a coach like Darryl Sutter shines.

I strongly, strongly disagree with many Gulutzan supporters who seem to think coaching can't fix a lack of compete, effort and care. That's exactly what certain coaches can do, in fact it's what sets them apart from the dozens upon dozens of mediocre coaches that get an NHL shot or two and nothing more.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #2371
jayswin

Exp:

I refuse to believe we have a roster of players that don't care enough to compete and win at the NHL level. Imo, we have a roster of young players that will unwittingly leave something on the table in their development and nightly compete when matched with a nice guy, players coach.

And it very well could be the death of this rebuild if we don't address it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #2372
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I am also leaning towards the fact that it isn't an effort issue.

When the other team locks up the flames only breakout mechanism, the flames inability to come up with any response leads them to keep trying the same thing that fails to work over and over.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #2373
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I have nothing to back this up, but just from past rumors I wouldn't be surprised if a coaching change isn't exactly as simple as Brad deciding to make a change.
That’s why Treliving didn’t sign his contract until so late. He was holding out for decision making power. No more waiting on things because Ken King was flying on trade deadline day, etc... Now it’s on him.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #2374
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
That’s why Treliving didn’t sign his contract until so late. He was holding out for decision making power. No more waiting on things because Ken King was flying on trade deadline day, etc... Now it’s on him.
I have no doubt that Treliving can pull the trigger on firing Gulutzan if he feels it has to be done but he still would have to consult King and the owners seeing coaches like Sutter and Tippett would expect 3 year deals at minimum. Let’s not forget firing Gulutzan is an admission of failure so there’s also a pride factor involved and while I don’t think Treliving would put that ahead of the Flames best interests he badly wants things to work with his hand picked coach so I don’t see a mid season coaching change as long as the team is hanging around the playoff hunt even if they continue to be on the outside looking in.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #2375
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Do we really know that GG was hand-picked by Treliving? Perhaps BT was given a dollar figure that he needed to work with, which priced other coaches out of our market?

That's the only way I can justify him not even reaching out to Boudreau, so I'm running with it.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #2376
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The hated Oilers only trail the Flames by three points. I don’t like it when my focus is on teams behind us in the standings rather than those we need to hunt down.
This place is going to go into meltdown mode when the Oilers pass the Flames in the standings.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #2377
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This place is going to go into meltdown mode when the Oilers pass the Flames in the standings.
Yup, and still we will see posters preaching for GG to be given more time :/
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #2378
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Yup, and still we will see posters preaching for GG to be given more time :/
I've thought this team had turned the corner like 5-6 times already this season, getting real sick of this "fool me again" thing on loop.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #2379
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I've thought this team had turned the corner like 5-6 times already this season, getting real sick of this "fool me again" thing on loop.
Your not alone. I think we have all been in that boat. Really the consistant inconsistency is the only thing we can count on.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #2380
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Do we really know that GG was hand-picked by Treliving? Perhaps BT was given a dollar figure that he needed to work with, which priced other coaches out of our market?

That's the only way I can justify him not even reaching out to Boudreau, so I'm running with it.
If that's the case I hope this team just packs its #### and moves because they'll never win anything with that type of management.
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote