Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #10221
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Worst is camping season with all the RV's taking up 2 spots. Must cost like $30-40 for their washes.
They would presumably would be using the oversize bays designed for trucks and RV's so technically would only be taking up one spot?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #10222
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Top 10 things old farts bs about:

#8 - How much it costs to wand wash their car.
#1 - young farts
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #10223
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My old go to time was after beer league hockey on my way home.

i do this a bunch... it will be 11pm or later - no one is around washing their vehicles then and the place by me is totally "un-staffed" at that time so i'll bring a bucket with car wash soap already in the bucket in to the hockey rink and fill it with hot water, then head to the wand wash place.
$2 for a quick power wash and pre-soak suds.

let that sit for a good 5 or so minutes.
$2 to spray off all that pre-soak suds (that takes most of the big stuff off)
grab my bucket of soapy water and go to town with micro fibre towels and a washing mitt. once the truck is done then i hit the wheels with my wash brush that i bring with me from home.
$2 for a final rinse and my truck looks pretty good

it probably takes about half an hour but whatever - i don't think in all the times i've washed my truck like that that anyone has ever come to wash their vehicle - and there are 2 other bays that they can use.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #10224
Canadianman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So... what is the appropriate length of time to do a touchless car wash? If 15 minutes is clearly too long, what is it? Like 5 minutes in/out?
The correct answer is however long you want, and if some jerk starts glaring at you, spend 5 minutes putting your mats back in after the timer is done.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #10225
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Driving on the back roads in the Springbank area at night it seems at least half the drivers don't turn off their high-beams for oncoming cars - are drivers not taught that anymore?
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #10226
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Driving on the back roads in the Springbank area at night it seems at least half the drivers don't turn off their high-beams for oncoming cars - are drivers not taught that anymore?
I drive the same roads multiple times a week and get flashed as if I have my high beam on quite often when I donít. I always think people have theirs on but I donít flash cause Iím guessing they donít either.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #10227
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
They don't turn them off when they're driving behind you down 14th street rush hour gridlock either.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #10228
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I committed a selfish act today... I washed my truck for 20 minutes, then wiped down the door frames, all the while there was lineup waiting to get in. Sorry people

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #10229
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I committed a selfish act today... I washed my truck for 20 minutes, then wiped down the door frames, all the while there was lineup waiting to get in. Sorry people
Wipe downs in the wash bay is poor form.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #10230
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
You washed your car in this crap? I'd just let you waste your money.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #10231
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a bit of a car accident yesterday near Priddis and had to deal with it today. What grinds my gears is how hopeless police and rcmp are. I phoned a station in Calgary and asked if I could do the report in Calgary. They said yes, they would just forward it to the rcmp. I get to the station but no, they said that I had to go to an rcmp station...Which one? Oh anyone is fine. So I go to the closest one in Chestermere. Nope, you gotta go to the one in the district where the accident was. So I go to the Okotoks one. They tell me that I could have done it at any station in Calgary and especially any rcmp station and that people just get lazy and don't want to do the paper work.

Why are admin cops such dbags? They're rude and grumpy and lazy and just made me drive for 2 hours in a blizzard because they didn't want to send a fax. F you losers.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #10232
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I had a bit of a car accident yesterday near Priddis and had to deal with it today. What grinds my gears is how hopeless police and rcmp are. I phoned a station in Calgary and asked if I could do the report in Calgary. They said yes, they would just forward it to the rcmp. I get to the station but no, they said that I had to go to an rcmp station...Which one? Oh anyone is fine. So I go to the closest one in Chestermere. Nope, you gotta go to the one in the district where the accident was. So I go to the Okotoks one. They tell me that I could have done it at any station in Calgary and especially any rcmp station and that people just get lazy and don't want to do the paper work.

Why are admin cops such dbags? They're rude and grumpy and lazy and just made me drive for 2 hours in a blizzard because they didn't want to send a fax. F you losers.
I have been in your shoes and worse. Get in an accident out of province while moving to Calgary three days later. I was not at fault but it took 28 days out of the 30 allowed by law to be legal on the road here. Car became legal here December 23rd two days before Christmas. Hard getting anything done at that time of year.

With that said you should of been able to go to any RCMP branch. You dealt with a few jerks. Myself on the other hand had good luck with the RCMP officer I dealt with. Not initially , he was trying to get me to admit to being in Alberta for months. Apparently this is one of the things people try to do to by pass Alberta insurance. Yet I had letters from SGI Saskatoon government insurance stating what had passed. Guy was great after reading this.

What a pain in the butt though! Be thankful your vehicle was registered and insured in Alberta. Things can get much worse!

Ever had an out of province inspection done on your vehicle? I sold my restored 88 mustang in Saskatoon for this reason . Took my 2 year old vehicle in for inspection in Alberta! Brakes are 35 percent worn! We can not pass this vehicle! There is 65 percent left of brake life on this vehicle. An easy 2 years of safe driving! $1200 in repairs that dont need to be done!

I had the garage put that in writing. I spent $300 and did the repairs on my own. Took photos, provided receipts, and allowed then to re inspect the vehicle.

Sorry for the BS you endured. Be thankful that others have been screwed over more!

Its not right!

Now, when is it gonna be legal for me to murder people who dont brush the snow off their vehicles?

I deal with idiots on the road everyday, and for the most part I am calm and collected.

You cant be bothered to brush off the snow on your vehicle so you can see?

There is a special place in hell for you!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #10233
Reggie28
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My gear grinder is people who drive on the sidewalk. I think these drivers fall into two groups; drivers with poor spatial awareness who lack the ability to precisely control the vehicle they are driving or drivers who have full control of their vehicle and just do not GAF.

Why do I care? It’s a real pain to shovel snow off of the sidewalk after someone has driven a truck on it.

Why does it happen? I live on T intersection of a crescent and a close, there is barely enough room to make a u turn in a small vehicle, let alone a truck.

So today, as I reach my house,, buddy in a late model Chevy with a quad in the back was attempting to make a u-turn. Up on the sidewalk in front of my house, then as he is turning around, over the curb and onto my neighbours lawn, he gets half stuck, starts spinning, tore up about three feet of the lawn. Same truck I saw a week ago with both wheels up on the sidewalk.

So I go and talk to him. I ask him not to drive on the sidewalk because it makes it hard to shovel. He says he couldn’t see the sidewalk because it was snowy. I tell him I saw him drive on the sidewalk last week as well (the sidewalk was already shovelled), and maybe a three point turn would be better. He interrupts me and asks, “do you think I drive on the sidewalk on purpose?” (The voice in my head is saying yes) and “ I was only on it a little bit.” Now that he is getting agitated, I figure this isn’t a hill I am willing to die on, and ask him to try and not drive on the sidewalk.

Thinking back, I’ve either fixed the problem or it’s going to get a whole lot worse!
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #10234
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You washed your car in this crap? I'd just let you waste your money.
And apparently there was a lineup.
computing...computing...computing... does not add up.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #10235
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Your SUV is not getting a good wash for $4 in the winter I can assure you.
To be fair you are correct when it comes to winter. My comment was an overall generalization on cost.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #10236
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't frequent downtown much anymore but had some time to kill last night before a concert and went into a Tim Hortons on 7th avenue at about 8:00 to grab a small coffee and check on the Flames game. They had half the place divided so people couldn't sit on the other side. I assume they maybe do that because at night they do some cleanup and don't have a lot of customers or keeping out the riff-raff at night. After finishing my coffee I head to the washroom that's on the side of the stanchions blocked off and the guy comes out running telling me I can't use the washroom. I told him I would be quick and he ramped up said a loud "No!". I was kind of startled actually as I haven't seen this before and assumed if you are going to let people eat and drink inside that you have to provide washrooms especially when they are right there. Seems kind of dumb.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #10237
gasman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
My gear grinder is people who drive on the sidewalk. I think these drivers fall into two groups; drivers with poor spatial awareness who lack the ability to precisely control the vehicle they are driving or drivers who have full control of their vehicle and just do not GAF.

Why do I care? It’s a real pain to shovel snow off of the sidewalk after someone has driven a truck on it.

Why does it happen? I live on T intersection of a crescent and a close, there is barely enough room to make a u turn in a small vehicle, let alone a truck.

So today, as I reach my house,, buddy in a late model Chevy with a quad in the back was attempting to make a u-turn. Up on the sidewalk in front of my house, then as he is turning around, over the curb and onto my neighbours lawn, he gets half stuck, starts spinning, tore up about three feet of the lawn. Same truck I saw a week ago with both wheels up on the sidewalk.

So I go and talk to him. I ask him not to drive on the sidewalk because it makes it hard to shovel. He says he couldn’t see the sidewalk because it was snowy. I tell him I saw him drive on the sidewalk last week as well (the sidewalk was already shovelled), and maybe a three point turn would be better. He interrupts me and asks, “do you think I drive on the sidewalk on purpose?” (The voice in my head is saying yes) and “ I was only on it a little bit.” Now that he is getting agitated, I figure this isn’t a hill I am willing to die on, and ask him to try and not drive on the sidewalk.

Thinking back, I’ve either fixed the problem or it’s going to get a whole lot worse!
This drives me nuts

I am the first driveway on my street, that has very few driveways (old neighbourhood). I park my truck in the front driveway and on a day like yesterday I shovel in the morning move my vehicle so I don't build up snow humps.

Come home at 4, planning to park in the street so I can shovel.only to find two sets of tracks all the way up my driveway.

Quickly check my nest cam and it's my across the street neighbour who came home twice yesterday and thought it fit to use my snowy driveway to turn around!

About 3 years ago someone pulled this move and hit my 3/4ton truck, putting a small dent on my brand new truck. And just drove away. Couldn't get an angle on their license plate due to my truck, and the police told me that because it happened on my property it wasn't a hit and run it was a civil matter so case closed.

People suck
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #10238
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't frequent downtown much anymore but had some time to kill last night before a concert and went into a Tim Hortons on 7th avenue at about 8:00 to grab a small coffee and check on the Flames game. They had half the place divided so people couldn't sit on the other side. I assume they maybe do that because at night they do some cleanup and don't have a lot of customers or keeping out the riff-raff at night. After finishing my coffee I head to the washroom that's on the side of the stanchions blocked off and the guy comes out running telling me I can't use the washroom. I told him I would be quick and he ramped up said a loud "No!". I was kind of startled actually as I haven't seen this before and assumed if you are going to let people eat and drink inside that you have to provide washrooms especially when they are right there. Seems kind of dumb.
I can say with great certainty that they were doing you a favour by not letting you use a downtown Tim Hortonís bathroom.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #10239
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fish heads to the meathead in the Camaro on 16th ave being 250 feet from the intersection, seeing the light go yellow and stepping on it. Oh, what's that? The light is now red? Well that's ok, we'll just wait here for you to blow through at 80km/h. Go ahead. Certainly nothing unsafe about that on a day like today.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #10240
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried to help some younger girls at Costco not break the TV they were buying. They had it laying flat on a dolly and were stacking other things on top of it. They laughed me off, for some reason. So I kind of hope it was cracked when they got home.