Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #21
Texas Flames Fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
And Trump can make it more difficult for insurance companies and more difficult for the ACA. Already has in fact, with the relaxing of enforcement of the individual mandate.

Less people paying for insurance = more expensive insurance.

Competition reducing prices is a nice idea, and works for industries where things are sold for many times the cost to make.

But the ACA mandates that insurance companies must spend most of what they collect in premiums on actual medical care! Health insurance profit margins are small (industry average of 3.3%), so it's not like companies can just dig into their profits to be more competitive, or cut a bunch of administrative fat, at least not in a way big enough to not do a big increase when costs demand it.

(Who wants to bet that the failed bill would have gotten rid of the requirement to spend most of the premiums on health care?)

That's the thing, one can complain about a 49% increase, but why is the ACA the cause? The insurance companies are just charging the cost of care. What's the flaw in the ACA that's causing that? Seems to me it's the amount charged by hospitals and drug companies and all the rest.
You answered your own question. Obamacare qualifies millions of non payers added to the system. Costs go up for the payers to support the additions. I agree with Thor, if your going to make healthcare socialized you cant pick and choose who you give it too. Either everyone participates in socialized care or no one does.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The problem has and always started with the idea that the free market insurance would be a way to provide the best healthcare, while making a lot of money.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #23
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Also not a big fan of Michael Moore, but they did the freedom of information act and got this audio, so relevant, Nixon as usual screwed us for decades.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Democrats have a good opportunity here. Trump's going to blame them for anything wrong with health care, and may even sabotage it further than he already has (and they need to make sure and highlight any such actions).

But they need to bring forward bills to help improve it. Either they'll get voted down and they can say they tried, or they'll actually get some improvements through. Win win.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Flames Fan View Post
You answered your own question. Obamacare qualifies millions of non payers added to the system. Costs go up for the payers to support the additions.
I don't get what you mean. If someone doesn't pay into the system the government pays for them and gets the money from them via their tax returns anyway. (Or at least used to until it was just changed).

It's not like the insurance companies are adding non payers to the system for free.

Quote:
I agree with Thor, if your going to make healthcare socialized you cant pick and choose who you give it too. Either everyone participates in socialized care or no one does.
Well yes that the US doesn't have some kind of basic health care for everyone in this era is a special kind of bad.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #26
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard Bernie Sanders say that the top 5 drug manufacturers make $50 billion/year.
Maybe that's part of your problem.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #27
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You answered your own question. Obamacare qualifies millions of non payers added to the system. Costs go up for the payers to support the additions. I agree with Thor, if your going to make healthcare socialized you cant pick and choose who you give it too. Either everyone participates in socialized care or no one does.
You might have a point if it wasn't for the fact the indigent and poverty stricken are looked after by Medicaid anyway, Obamacare didn't add non payers to the system, they were already paid for, if only by the massively expensive and inefficient 'turn up at emergency and be treated by law' Obamacare added the working poor, they did pay in.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #28
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
I haven't cracked open a copy of the National Enquirer in thirty years but just glancing at them in the supermarket checkout they look like Breitbart on steroids. The Enquirer has always been 100% fake, but people who actually read it think it's factual, or at the very least they let it shape their politics.

We do miss seeing Generoso Pope around here.

And of course the Christmas tree. It was always awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #29
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Ive been waiting to hear where this was going and now that it looks like we are stuck I am going to do some shopping on Monday. BCBS Texas wanted $1690/month for a family of 4. $20,280/year for a family that has never had a claim! Who can afford that?
You are aware that people have internet access and can look this stuff up?

I just went through the Texas BCBS website and did an estimate for a family of four and you can get coverage for as little as $742.10 a month, through an HMO plan, with a $40 copay and a $6800 deductible. The plan you're quoting is one of the Premiere plans, with $15 co-pay and a $1000 deductible. Don't make it sound like you have no choice, because with BCBS you have 24 different options, ranging from $742.10 all the way up to $2,353.11. If you don't like the options you have then maybe you should find an employer who offers actual benefits?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #30
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Democrats have a good opportunity here. Trump's going to blame them for anything wrong with health care, and may even sabotage it further than he already has (and they need to make sure and highlight any such actions).

But they need to bring forward bills to help improve it. Either they'll get voted down and they can say they tried, or they'll actually get some improvements through. Win win.
A decent solution could probably be had if the moderate democrats and the moderate republicans came together. I'd actually bit my lip and say the Donald was ok if he could somehow get a democrat and republican caucus to work together and get some reasonable legislation passed.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #31
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you don't like the options you have then maybe you should find an employer who offers actual benefits?
Or do like Trump's administration said earlier, move to a different state that offers what one wants

Article from Politico on what poses a risk to Obamacare going forward, and ways Trump's actions could influence the outcomes in either direction.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...explode-214949

Last edited by photon; 03-24-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #32
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Your rates would have went up and your coverage would have been crappier had the Republicans bill passed. This is what all of you Trump fanboys refuse to accept.

On the side note, the rich won't be getting huger tax breaks out of your pocket, I know that makes you sad.

Duff, every day on my mail route I have people tell me that Obamacare has saved them.

Sure, some were aggravated by it at first. It seemed like another obligation, another "rule" to be followed.

I deliver to some relatively wealthy retired people, young kids either working or down here to go to rehab ( it's the drug rehab capital of the US), and middle-class elderly people.

I can't tell you how many of the last group credit Obamacare with saving their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #33
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Honestly, even Trump thinks that we should have universal healthcare, he was never a republican, even though he is immensely flawed..

He thinks, and has repeatedly said that Americans should get cheaper, better healthcare, and his biggest problem has and always will be that Obama was the guy who brought about what is essentially Romneycare.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #34
photon

Exp:

Conway doesn't appear to have divested herself of her polling firm, or has even filed the proper paperwork to do so. It's Slate but doesn't get too wild with angst.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_statute.html
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #35
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #36
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When did I say I was philosophically against socialized medicine? The only thing Im opposed to is Obamacare and 49% increases!
So you're for a single payer system?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

A familiy of four in Canada pays 25k per year(more or less depending on their tax rate) with no prescription drug coverage or dental. No deductible though.

Having the option to purchase less insurance would be nice
Old 03-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #38
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
a familiy of four in canada pays 25k per year(more or less depending on their tax rate) with no prescription drug coverage or dental. No deductible though.

Having the option to purchase less insurance would be nice
eh?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #39
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Also it saddens me that anyone would want to cut funding for PBS, one of the few places left in the US media where there is actual discussion and debate.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #40
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Also it saddens me that anyone would want to cut funding for PBS, one of the few places left in the US media where there is actual discussion and debate.
Why else do you think they actually want to cut funding?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms