Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #81
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've got a pair of binoculars, it's really easy to make a partial eclipse viewer. Just cut two holes in the lid of a box (banker's box works great) that closely fit the binocular viewpiece ends, and another hole where you can look in the side of the box (or just use the handle hole if using a banker's box). Point the binoculars directly at the sun, and you'll see the shape of the sun on the back wall of the box as two circles of light. It will change and become crescent as the moon passes across it. We made one for the partial eclipse a couple summers ago.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #82
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up two pairs of welder's glasses at Acklands a few days ago. The sales clerk (big older lady) looks at me and says: "Are you one of those nature-lovers that gonna use these to watch the solar eclipse?". I'm responding with fake outrage:"Do I not look like a welder to you?". She looks back at me and without hesitation says: "Nope..." How dare she!...

We've abandoned the idea of going to Oregon. Simply impossible to find any reasonable accommodation. Going to stay in Butte for a couple of nights and then watch the eclipse from around Rigby, right on the totality path centreline. Anyone stayed in Butte ever?

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 08-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #83
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We will be staying in Butte for a couple of nights as well. Anything else we looked at was several hundred dollars more per night to save a few hours of driving.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #84
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

When are people driving down? We're heading south that weekend (completely unrelated to the eclipse) and want to avoid long lineups at the border on Saturday morning
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #85
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
When are people driving down? We're heading south that weekend (completely unrelated to the eclipse) and want to avoid long lineups at the border on Saturday morning
Yeah, I'd say Saturday morning might be the worst time; that's when most people I've talked to are going. Do you need to cross at sweetgrass? The other crossings might be less busy (but also might be less equipped to handle crowds if they are busy). We're heading to eastern wyoming to watch it, so going to plan to hit the Wild Horse crossing to avoid the Idaho/Tetons crowd.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #86
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Yeah, I'd say Saturday morning might be the worst time; that's when most people I've talked to are going. Do you need to cross at sweetgrass? The other crossings might be less busy (but also might be less equipped to handle crowds if they are busy). We're heading to eastern wyoming to watch it, so going to plan to hit the Wild Horse crossing to avoid the Idaho/Tetons crowd.
We could go through Carway but Sweetgrass is typically faster/closer. Might gamble and try the smaller crossing...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #87
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
We've abandoned the idea of going to Oregon. Simply impossible to find any reasonable accommodation. Going to stay in Butte for a couple of nights and then watch the eclipse from around Rigby, right on the totality path centreline. Anyone stayed in Butte ever?
Probably a good idea to stay away from Oregon. We're supposed to have over a million travelers for that weekend and traffic around Portland and the I5 corridor is already terrible for normal days. The combined smoke from our own fires and the BC ones have made our air quality worse than China some days over the past two weeks.

A major forest fire has eliminated hundreds of already booked campsites/trails that people were going to use since the forest service has closed the area for safety.

And finally, initial forecasts are saying it might actually be cloudy on eclipse day which would be about typical for Oregon. Have had no measurable rain in two months and multiple days over 90F, but the one day you want/need a nice day, NOPE!
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #88
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Planning on crossing at Sweet Grass near noon on Sunday. I'll be staying in Rexburg that night. I had a room booked in Butte for Sunday night, but since I am now going solo, I figure I will just sleep in the SUV for one night. I am hoping to make it to Rexburg or Sugar City, Sunday night.

The plan is to travel through the middle of Yellowstone on Monday, I have a room booked in Red Lodge for Monday night. I'll travel back through the Beartooth on Tuesday, staying in Butte Tuesday night. Then back to Calgary on Wednesday. The travel times might be a little ambitious, but without a dog or lady the stops will be limited to fuel and food.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #89
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have to decide between driving from Butte to Rigby early in the morning on Monday and risk getting stuck in heavy traffic on Hwy-15, or driving to Rigby on Sunday and spending night in a tent on some farmer's field without any amenities. Not an easy choice...
Old 08-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #90
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Someone on Reddit has studied 16 years of weather data to determine the chances having blue skies.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #91
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Image Caption: "There were traffic jams for the eclipses in 1970 and 1979, and that was *before* we had the potential for overnight viral social media frenzies."
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #92
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^

I've been planning to see this one for 10 years...and now with a week to go I'm nervous as hell that the overnight "yeah I'll throw a sleeping bag in the back and go for a drive" people are going to make this a living hell.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #93
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have now stocked up on water and food for our group.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #94
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

With the smoke and potential hassle, We are still waffling on going. Where we are planning to go isn't in the closed area of Oregon, but is probably where all of the people from that closed area will go to instead.

Do I want to get up really early to attempt a 130 mile drive that might take a long time to see something that we might not be able to see because of smoke, and then have to drive 130 miles back in similar traffic?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #95
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me save you all a bunch of time:
Spoiler!

I'm sure there will be plenty of videos of this one, too!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #96
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acklands Grainger is now completely sold out of shade 12 and 14 welders glass.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #97
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monday, August 21:

Vancouver
• Start of partial eclipse: 09:10 AM PDT downtown Vancouver
• Maximum eclipse: 10:21 AM PDT
• Coverage: 86% -- very good, but wear your solar sunglasses !!

Calgary:
• Start of partial eclipse: 10:20 AM MDT
• Maximum eclipse: 11:33 AM MDT
• Coverage: 77% -- wear your solar sunglasses !
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #98
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna be in Lincoln Nebraska, right in the middle of the totality. Do I still need solar sunglasses?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #99
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

You won't need them for the 1-2 minutes of totality. However you'll want them to be able to look up and see the progress of the moon in front of the sun.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #100
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Finally got my welding lenses, I ordered #14, but those were unavailable, so I got #12s.

I tried them with the sun this afternoon, and I can't imagine how these aren't good enough. The sun isn't even remotely bright with these.