Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #11361
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Taking a three year contract that is the highest salary on the team and that guarantees a $9M QO, all after playing a mere 3 years in the league isn’t really taking one for the team IMO. What was he looking for in a longer term? $8 or 9 million? As it is he is the 9th highest paid LW in the league.
Well that summer was the Matthews & Marner show wasn't it? He knows them both very well, played with both of them so I'm sure he's pretty competitive with them in lots of ways including salaries as most players are. So, I'm sure he and his agent would've been very happy with a longer term deal similar to Matthews and Marner. Obviously not $11M, but maybe something close to the high 8's or 9's x 6 or 7 years.

The team if I remember correctly was pretty tight up to the cap, so he ultimately did the team a favour by taking $7M so they wouldn't have to trade an important piece away as he said and I believe that. Treliving knew Gio and Johnny's contract would be over by the time Tkachuk's bigger contract would kick in, so it's one of those pay less now, pay more later kind of things. Heck it's what I probably would've done too at the time to save $2M-$3M per season that summer.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #11362
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
He probably wanted something between the $8.5x5 that Aho signed and the $10.6x6 that Marner signed. Chucky was coming off 34 goals and 76 points
Aho is a C coming off 83 points and Marner was coming off 94 points. Aho also was an offer sheet so the Canes’ hand was forced. I don’t see how Chucky thought he was in that league. But anyway, it was no huge favour. Just a deal to get by for both sides.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #11363
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
One bad season definitely does not sour me on Tkachuk.

Tkachuk is at the core of whatever this team does next in my eyes. Turning against this player at this stage is absolutely insane to me. Yes, something is off this year - I think you can look at Johnny's dismissive comment on Spittin' Chiclets, and the teams general reaction to the Toronto/Muzzin stuff as being a decent problem.

Tkachuk is here and wants to win, oh and he's a very good player. I'd say he's an elite LW in this league who can play in all situations.

20/21:
0.75 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 55.00
SF%: 53.65
GF%: 58.82
xGF%: 53.24
SCF%: 53.17
HDCF%: 52.97
HDGF%: 51.61

19/20:
0.88 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 52.72
SF%: 50.70
GF%: 49.47
xGF%: 52.71
SCF%: 53.66
HDCF%: 54.96
HDGF%: 50.00

18/19:
0.96 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 56.95
SF%: 56.12
GF%: 54.90
xGF%: 53.98
SCF%: 56.27
HDCF%: 53.54
HDGF%: 58.06

17/18:
0.72 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 57.29
SF%: 56.18
GF%: 48.00
xGF%: 53.55
SCF%: 56.09
HDCF%: 54.72
HDGF%: 51.16

16/17:
0.63 Points Per Game
5v5
CF%: 55.98
SF%: 57.30
GF%: 58.44
xGF%: 53.79
SCF%: 55.26
HDCF%: 54.17
HDGF%: 55.10

I can't even begin to understand negative sentiment around this player. I get that we're all pissed that this season went the way it did, but if we were in a situation where we could only keep one of Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, and Tkachuk - I'd keep Tkachuk considering all things (age being in a key difference between he and Lindholm).

Ship Monahan and Gaudreau out of town. Say goodbye to Giordano. I say you build with Tkachuk.
I completely agree with you.

Tkachuk is having a down year and I think people have every right to be upset with him, but he’s young enough that I don’t think his career is going to suddenly tank any time soon. He has shown us who he is for years. A bad 40 game stretch in a weird year doesn’t change that for me.

The team needs a shakeup. I don’t think trading Tkachuk is the shakeup they need. It’s Monahan, Gaudreau, and Giordano. They need to move on from those three.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #11364
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Tkachuk is having a down year and I think people have every right to be upset with him, but he’s young enough that I don’t think his career is going to suddenly tank any time soon. He has shown us who he is for years. A bad 40 game stretch in a weird year doesn’t change that for me.

The team needs a shakeup. I don’t think trading Tkachuk is the shakeup they need. It’s Monahan, Gaudreau, and Giordano. They need to move on from those three.
You forgot Backlund. Those 4.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #11365
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also agree. If contract wasn’t an issue, he would be the most untouchable player on the team in my opinion. I don’t hold this season against him as it was terrible for everyone.

If he doesn’t want to sign long term, you have to trade him though and preferably sooner than later.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #11366
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I also agree. If contract wasn’t an issue, he would be the most untouchable player on the team in my opinion. I don’t hold this season against him as it was terrible for everyone.

If he doesn’t want to sign long term, you have to trade him though and preferably sooner than later.
He and Gaudreau have similar issues. They are both risks to walk sooner rather than later, and difficult and expensive to sign of you want to keep them.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #11367
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Underlying stats aside, and no matter how much I may like Tkachuk, I just can't get past his subpar skating. In a league getting faster and younger, I just don't see how his skating ages well. For that reason, he is not untouchable, imo.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #11368
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Underlying stats aside, and no matter how much I may like Tkachuk, I just can't get past his subpar skating. In a league getting faster and younger, I just don't see how his skating ages well. For that reason, he is not untouchable, imo.
It’s an issue for the whole team. If your fastest guys are Dube and Nordstrom you have troubles.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #11369
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk's skating issues are compounded by the other mediocre skaters surrounding him on his team. Not many guys driving play, and nobody (except Johnny) can carry the puck in over the blueline.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-22-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:32 AM   #11370
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

I agree that Tkachuk is just having a down year and he's probably the most valuable player in the organization. He'll probably be "on" more often than not in the years to come. I bet he gets 70+ points again next year.

But I disagree with the conclusion for three reasons:
1. Tkachuk probably has the most trade value out of anyone in the organization (Lindholm might have more, but I doubt it). He's the only one who could conceivably bring back a star player or a very high pick. Monahan and Giordano would hardly return any assets in comparison.
2. Tkachuk is a winger. Wingers are much more replaceable. Especially left-handed left wingers.
3. And this is the biggest reason, Tkachuk requires that $9 million QO. I think Gaudreau is much more likely to have a reasonable contract going forward than Tkachuk is. Tkachuk will try to get every dollar possible, and he'll almost definitely succeed.

Johnny's offensive upside is a lot higher than Tkachuks. I doubt Tkachuk ever gets more than 85 points. Johnny, on the other hand, can easily get 90++ if he were playing with an elite center. I know this is just conjecture, but I think most would agree that Johnny has a higher offensive ceiling than Tkachuk. And I know Johnny is older, but I think he'll hardly age until his mid-thirties because of his durability and style of play.

I think most agree that Monahan and Gio need to be traded, but they simply don't have the same kind of value. We can throw Backlund in that group as well.
As for Gaudreau and Tkachuk, I personally would rather keep Gaudreau. Part of the reason for that is that Tkachuk is so good and young that he'll have a lot more trade value. Nothing against Tkachuk.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 03:56 AM   #11371
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I agree that Tkachuk is just having a down year and he's probably the most valuable player in the organization. He'll probably be "on" more often than not in the years to come. I bet he gets 70+ points again next year.

But I disagree with the conclusion for three reasons:
1. Tkachuk probably has the most trade value out of anyone in the organization (Lindholm might have more, but I doubt it). He's the only one who could conceivably bring back a star player or a very high pick. Monahan and Giordano would hardly return any assets in comparison.
2. Tkachuk is a winger. Wingers are much more replaceable. Especially left-handed left wingers.
3. And this is the biggest reason, Tkachuk requires that $9 million QO. I think Gaudreau is much more likely to have a reasonable contract going forward than Tkachuk is. Tkachuk will try to get every dollar possible, and he'll almost definitely succeed.

Johnny's offensive upside is a lot higher than Tkachuks. I doubt Tkachuk ever gets more than 85 points. Johnny, on the other hand, can easily get 90++ if he were playing with an elite center. I know this is just conjecture, but I think most would agree that Johnny has a higher offensive ceiling than Tkachuk. And I know Johnny is older, but I think he'll hardly age until his mid-thirties because of his durability and style of play.

I think most agree that Monahan and Gio need to be traded, but they simply don't have the same kind of value. We can throw Backlund in that group as well.
As for Gaudreau and Tkachuk, I personally would rather keep Gaudreau. Part of the reason for that is that Tkachuk is so good and young that he'll have a lot more trade value. Nothing against Tkachuk.
I am always nervous these days when it comes to Gaudreau trade rumors. I still think he's the main straw stirring the drink offensively, and we already have trouble scoring. I personally would like to trade Mony, as he's kinda the poster boy for what's wrong with the team, and you're right-his value is at an all-time low, but we could perhaps use his salary savings to upgrade elsewhere.(or package him in a trade). I wouldn't want to trade Chucky, because I believe he'll bounce back, but I would be intrigued to see what he could fetch in trade. Selfishly, I hope we finish low enough this year to grab one of the top forwards at the draft.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #11372
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I wonder if Edmonton would do a Puljujarvi swap for Monahan. With RNH probably on the outs as a UFA, they might want a replacement with some term
If that's doable, then good on Puljujarvi for working so hard to increase his value as a player.

he's gone from almost worthless to an NHL regular.
probably the smartest thin Holland has done with the Oilers is to be patient and keep him when everyone wanted him gone for a bag of pucks.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #11373
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IMO Tkachuk has a suitable amount of youngness
Old 04-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #11374
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
IMO Tkachuk has a suitable amount of youngness
Sure, he's young, but his stride hasn't improved since he's been here and I don't think that will change.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #11375
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question is, how long do you think Tka#### will stay with the team? Will he sign a 9 million long term deal? Do you really want to pay him 9 mill per? Is he going to leave as soon as he can? This team isn't a contender now, if they stay with the same roster will he help carry the team and if they do go for a rebuild will he make them good enough to not pick in the top 5? What kind of assets will he bring back in a trade? Will his trade value increase or decrease in time? Will a team give up significantly more for him if they can sign him to a contract? Maybe he takes less than 9 to sign in St. Louis or to play with his brother?

There are just too many questions around him and I don't think he's dynamic enough to be worth 9 mill. He'll also bring back the most in a trade which will either help the rebuild or if they "retool" will help the team push forward to maybe just missing the playoffs instead of completely missing the playoffs...I say that because this team isn't good enough to make the playoffs, keeping this team together will not lead to success.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #11376
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know the comparable I think of going back to the trap era is Andrew Brunette - couldn't skate, but had size, hands and was very smart - put up some excellent numbers for a while. He didn't have the asshat edge to him. I think Tkachuk 20 years ago would have been a god. In this era, I don't know how Brunette would fare, and I really don't know about Tkachuk. I think if he is paired with a fast center, he is alright, and should always be very good on the PP down low. Therefore, the issue for me isn't so much skating, as it is the QO and the Tkachuk family history with contracts...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #11377
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk and Valimaki for Kyrou and Tarasenko?

Probably will get flamed but Tarasenko’s value is not even close to what it used to be a couple years ago.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #11378
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Tkachuk and Valimaki for Kyrou and Tarasenko?

Probably will get flamed but Tarasenko’s value is not even close to what it used to be a couple years ago.
Not a fan in the least. We absolutely need to avoid trading Tkachuk for a 30 year old with a higher cap hit.

Tarasenko for Tkachuk is the new Voracek for Gaudreau
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #11379
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
If that's doable, then good on Puljujarvi for working so hard to increase his value as a player.

he's gone from almost worthless to an NHL regular.
probably the smartest thin Holland has done with the Oilers is to be patient and keep him when everyone wanted him gone for a bag of pucks.
That's good on Holland but also on the other NHL GMs.

Has anybody offered a 1st Round pick then I think Puljujarvi would have been gone, but rumor was other GMs were all lowballing him.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #11380
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Not a fan in the least. We absolutely need to avoid trading Tkachuk for a 30 year old with a higher cap hit.

Tarasenko for Tkachuk is the new Voracek for Gaudreau
Figured. I just want to see how Gaudreau would do with an actual sniper on the team. And getting Kyrou (or Thomas) would be a nice addition too.
Closed Thread