Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #2121
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news.. if anybody looking for AirPods, they are on sale at Costco - $175 for a pair.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #2122
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not about maintaining a single app store, it's about companies like Spotify and Netflix not being able to sell a subscription without giving 30% to the app store. I think it makes sense, and allows 3rd parties to maintain more of their revenue. It's anti-competitive in that Apple also has their version of Spotify that competes directly but isn't really subject to the 30% handicap.
I fail to see the difference. You can't install an app from any source other than the official Apple app store because the device forbids it. I suppose the subscription model muddies the waters, however, as the app itself is free. I think we basically agree though because I believe Apple hides behind the "We keep you safe!" thing as a way to keep the revenues flowing, which is anti-competitive. There's nothing stopping them from doing exactly what Android does: force you to accept the risk and then let you install from any source you want.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #2123
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
^ As a consumer, can't you still just choose to only purchase from Apple's store because you trust it?
Of course, but that option doesn't currently exist because the device itself won't allow it. Apple has coded iOS to only install apps from the official app store. The very definition of a monopoly, no?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #2124
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There are other app stores for other devices, and Android makes up most of the market so doesn't really seem like a monopoly.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #2125
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

What about Playstation and XBOX stores? Should they be required to allow unauthorized games to be installed on their hardware?

I don't get how this is a monopoly. There are other phones out there. If you don't like the app store don't buy Apple.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #2126
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can purchase Xbox and PS games from about 300 retailers who are welcome to charge whatever price they want. You aren't locked into buying games from the Microsoft or Sony stores.

If you own an iPhone, you only have one option for purchasing apps.

To be honest, I do see Apple's side here as well and aren't convinced a lawsuit is successful. It's not a monopoly in the pure definition as you can buy phones from several manufacturers.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #2127
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
In other news.. if anybody looking for AirPods, they are on sale at Costco - $175 for a pair.

Are Airpods any good? Or am I better off getting a different brand of wireless headphones? I'm shopping now because I'm tired of having no headphones.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #2128
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

A few people I know really like them. I can't stand kind that go into the ear canal so my choices are pretty limited, I'm tempted to get them.

You can get silicone tips for them too if the hard plastic is uncomfortable.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #2129
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Are Airpods any good? Or am I better off getting a different brand of wireless headphones? I'm shopping now because I'm tired of having no headphones.
The pros are their convenience. They take two seconds to pair and then will work on all of your iOS devices. Pop them in and they’ll start working. The charging case is compact and gives you plenty of play time.

You don’t get that convenience if you’re on android. The sound quality is mediocre. It’s probably good enough for most people. I use them mainly for podcasts. There’s no sound isolation (can be a positive if you need to be aware of your surroundings.) The fit isn’t great for me because of the hard plastic but lots of people say that isn’t an issue.

Apple owns Beats and they just released the Powerbeats Pro. They sync just as theory as the AirPods but don’t have all of the features. They do have soft tips if fit is a dealbreaker for the AirPods.

The new Galaxy Buds are supposed to be really good but you need a Samsung phone to take full advantage of them.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #2130
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The microphone is fantastic. If you do a lot of calling in your profession I think they are a must have.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #2131
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got myself some AirPods the other week. Highly recommend them (if they fit your ears). The ease of pairing and no wires to untangle makes me use them so much more frequently than any other headphones I own.

If that sounds ridiculous to you, then you're probably right. They're 100% overpriced for what they are. Nobody NEEDS them. But they do what they're supposed to really well (IMO).

Last edited by Flames0910; 05-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #2132
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the AirPods so far, although the double-tap is a bit hit or miss. I set it up to either pause or advance to the next song. I understand you are supposed to somehow tap the behind your ear to get it to work more reliably.

I think they probably could fit a bit snugger into my ear, maybe maybe that is where the silicone sleeves help. I was leaning to the side and one fell out.

I also have a pair of over-the-ear noise-cancelling Sony headphones which are good, but they feel a bit too heavy and make my ears sore after awhile.

You might be able to stack up some Costco deals to get a bit more off, but I hadn’t seen them at that price before so decided to treat myself - and you can never have enough extra lightning cables.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #2133
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Speaking of AirPods, apparently the knockoff engineers have created almost perfect fakes.

Which means if you aren't buying them form an official retailer there is a good chance that the seller has bought a fake and is flipping them as the real deal.

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #2134
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wish I could wear Airpods, but the apple stuff never fits in my ear. I would assume they are like the standard wired earpods they have always included for years with the iphones. That shape just never fits in my ears, I always need the ones that go directly into the ear canal, as opposed to the ones that just sit on the outside.
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #2135
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJuice View Post
Wish I could wear Airpods, but the apple stuff never fits in my ear. I would assume they are like the standard wired earpods they have always included for years with the iphones. That shape just never fits in my ears, I always need the ones that go directly into the ear canal, as opposed to the ones that just sit on the outside.
I think you're lucky if that's what fits you. That's basically every other product on the market at this point. For people like me that only fit into Apple earbuds, I have nothing to choose from almost.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #2136
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJuice View Post

I think the one difference you might find is that without the cord kind of tugging down on them, they do tend to stay in place a bit better than the wired ones.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #2137
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I can't used the wired phones because they fall out too easily but the AirPods work great for me. It's definitely the wires that are the issue.

The Apple store has ones you can try. They're cleaned and packaged after each use.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #2138
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I always disliked the wired ones because they fell out, but the AirPods seem to fit perfectly, so my issue was probably also the wire. I love that I can take one earbud out and the sound goes from stereo to mono. I used to hate taking out an earbud and then hitting a great song with overly aggressive mixing and suddenly you can't hear half the song.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #2139
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It'll be interesting to know if this ends up being true for many of you, and the airpods don't last long: https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...y-life/585439/
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #2140
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any recommendations on battery backup packs for a 13" Macbook pro and a decent dual monitor docking station? Bought a Purefix mini dock but that's just for travel, looking for something to have on the desk. Will probably pick up an ultra wide monitor as Macs seem to suck on dual monitors.

Went from a 2015 one to a new one and now none of my accessories work now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote