Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Only confirmed on PS4, but since the remake is still intended to be broken into parts and expanded, We can pretty much assume most or all of it will hit PS5. Whether or not it hits XBox is an unknown, but Square Enix is pretty well known for offering PC ports about a year after the console release. Great way to catch double dippers.
The Aerith revival sequence is paid DLC.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #22
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, I don't see any scenario where it doesn't come out on every platform imaginable.This thing has to make some serious cash for them. They even made doofy chibi versions of FFXV to get it out on Switch and phones.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

#### this is not going to go well for Sqare. FFVII fans are some of the most rabid in gaming and will not like these changes.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #24
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
FF8 had the strongest music of any of the games
Not really, but there are a few good tracks.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
That is a freaking tragedy. FF8 had the strongest music of any of the games. I understand it is kind of the odd-ball among the FF games, being a love story and all, but its a shame it has faded so far into obscurity. Highly under-rated game, and I still play the soundtrack a lot all these years later.

No it didn't. I know, subjective tastes and all, but there's just nowhere to stand here. FFVI is generally accepted as the best, but you could make a case for VII or possibly IX or IV if you want to talk about the purpose of a sountrack being atmosphere creation. But in spite of having a few decent tracks, VIII was just... there. And "eyes on me" is cringe-worthy.

VIII is a dumb game, basically. You don't even need to get into the mechanics (e.g. the universally loathed "draw" system and the weird way they dealt with "GF"s), the whole story was a mess. The concept of having a school of heroes was a great place to start, but they just had no idea what to do with it. Literally everything that happens after Disc 1 is idiotic. The super high tech secret eastern continent? Idiotic. Flying into space to fight colour-coded aliens? Idiotic. The whole thing about the "garden master"? Idiotic. Time traveling sorceresses who possess people? Idiotic. And even the stuff that wasn't idiotic in theory was executed poorly - the whole thing about how you have a rival who goes over to the dark side is fine as a device, but it was just so cheesily done, it's basically the storytelling quality of the Star Wars prequels.

But the whole "we all knew each other in childhood and forgot about it and the main villain who was being mind controlled used to be our teacher and was married to the dude who is effectively our Dumbledore and don't worry about how totally implausible a coincidence on this scale is" part has to be just about the worst thing Square ever did in a Final Fantasy storyline. Dumb doesn't begin to describe that. I'll take the FFX laughing scene over that crap.

If they can make enough money off of this VII project to justify it, they definitely need to remake VI next. IX would be a fine one to revisit too - its flaws are fixable. A new IV? Sure, that went a bit off the rails with the whole "we're going to the moon" thing, but whatever, fine. VIII, though, can stay relegated to obscurity as far as I'm concerned.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
FF8 is never getting remade. They can't even bother to port over the original like they did with 7 and 9.
I have 8 on my Vita. I pretty much have them all on there, so sad that system didn't take off like it should have. I still recommend grabbing a Vita if you are a fan of old school RPGs as you can find them all on the PS Store. The worst part of owning the Vita was finding a large memory card and then the outrageous price for it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The problem with VIII is they lost most of the source code. It's only really been released as a PSOne Classic, since the PSP/Vita is running it in an emulator. While Sony couldn't legally stop Square Enix from putting a PSX emulator on the Switch or XBox to port VIII to those systems, for the sake of a harmonious working relationship with the platform that gives them most of their sales, it's exceedingly unlikely it ever happens.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #28
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remake will officially be released on March 3rd, 2020.

mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, the first part of it, at any rate. The wraith smoke is interesting.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, what was up with that? I don't remember that being a thing. That looked like the scene where Cloud first runs into Aerith after the initial bombing mission, when you're in that section of Midgar you never see again.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #31
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pre-ordered this game back in 2016 on Amazon Prime around the time when it was announced. I hope they don't cancel my order, as I still have it for the $60 price back when Amazon gave 20% off to Prime members for pre-order games.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they do, call them and they'll probably fix it. I ended up having that happen with one once and ultimately got the game for $9.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #33
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I pre-ordered this game back in 2016 on Amazon Prime around the time when it was announced. I hope they don't cancel my order, as I still have it for the $60 price back when Amazon gave 20% off to Prime members for pre-order games.
It's available for 30% off on bestbuy.ca right now. So you can get it there for $56.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #34
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

No it didn't. I know, subjective tastes and all, but there's just nowhere to stand here. FFVI is generally accepted as the best, but you could make a case for VII or possibly IX or IV if you want to talk about the purpose of a sountrack being atmosphere creation. But in spite of having a few decent tracks, VIII was just... there. And "eyes on me" is cringe-worthy.

VIII is a dumb game, basically. You don't even need to get into the mechanics (e.g. the universally loathed "draw" system and the weird way they dealt with "GF"s), the whole story was a mess. The concept of having a school of heroes was a great place to start, but they just had no idea what to do with it. Literally everything that happens after Disc 1 is idiotic. The super high tech secret eastern continent? Idiotic. Flying into space to fight colour-coded aliens? Idiotic. The whole thing about the "garden master"? Idiotic. Time traveling sorceresses who possess people? Idiotic. And even the stuff that wasn't idiotic in theory was executed poorly - the whole thing about how you have a rival who goes over to the dark side is fine as a device, but it was just so cheesily done, it's basically the storytelling quality of the Star Wars prequels.

But the whole "we all knew each other in childhood and forgot about it and the main villain who was being mind controlled used to be our teacher and was married to the dude who is effectively our Dumbledore and don't worry about how totally implausible a coincidence on this scale is" part has to be just about the worst thing Square ever did in a Final Fantasy storyline. Dumb doesn't begin to describe that. I'll take the FFX laughing scene over that crap.

If they can make enough money off of this VII project to justify it, they definitely need to remake VI next. IX would be a fine one to revisit too - its flaws are fixable. A new IV? Sure, that went a bit off the rails with the whole "we're going to the moon" thing, but whatever, fine. VIII, though, can stay relegated to obscurity as far as I'm concerned.
I'm gonna have to agree. I remember being so hyped for FF8 after playing FF7, and then being really disappointed by all the changes. Squall was such an unlikeable main protagonist. I hated how moody he was. I get Cloud was also emo for awhile in FF7, but at least he didn't act like an ahole like Squall. By the end of it, I was hoping he'd lose the girl and Rinoa chose someone better lol.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #35
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Official E3 trailer

Looks awesome.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #36
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy priced but just so nobody misses it:

SE store 1st Class Edition - Close to $600 CDN with our dollar being so crappy.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.c...gn=e3_2019_005
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #37
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any other game that comes out on 2 Blu ray discs?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

$52 American for SHIPPING on the Deluxe edition. Not a god damn chance.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #39
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Is there any other game that comes out on 2 Blu ray discs?
Red Dead Redemption 2 has an install disc and a play disc. Only other one I know of.

Man I just have trouble believing they’ve stretched all of Midgar in to a two disc blu Ray, 30-40 hour game. It actually looks prettt good from the gameplay, and I got a preorder in, but that’s a lot of Midgar for what was what, a 5 hour part of FF7 original?

Also, looks like a PS4 exclusive, for the time being.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #40
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They've been advertising from the start that it was a timed exclusive on PS4.

It'll be ported to PC a year later, as Square Enix does with every other game. Probably on XB1 somewhere in between.