Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #281
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Jets really making moves today.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #282
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good trade for the Giants for a retool. OBJ is Antoinio Brown without some of the individual stars, and was surprised the Giants signed him, but only did likely knowing to trade him.
The meltdowns between him and Mayfield should be good. I think that team has a short shelf life especially if bringing in Hunt, but given the state of the rest of the division, the time is to act now.

Not sure if the Thomas thing confirmed, and his shameless and childish pandering to the Cowboys the last year or two, going for naught. As good as he was, he never really liked the cold when Seattle had to travel east in late November and later, so to go to the NFC North where you have all opponents that have to play in winter conditions, may not suit him or that twice broken leg...or his dislocated middle finger.

Last edited by browna; 03-12-2019 at 11:52 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #283
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he's getting essentially nearly the same deal as the Steelers offered him a year ago ($33 million guaranteed)? I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work when you sit out a season and lose out on $14 million in unrecoverable salary because you don't like the long term deal you have been offered.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #284
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So he's getting essentially nearly the same deal as the Steelers offered him a year ago ($33 million guaranteed)? I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work when you sit out a season and lose out on $14 million in unrecoverable salary because you don't like the long term deal you have been offered.
Indeed. These guys have the misguided impression that they are irreplaceable (well, and I suppose the ego goes with the confidence you need) when in fact there are only a handful of players in the league, virtually all of them QBs, that are in fact not replaceable. Not sure if anyone else beside the Patriots has figured that out...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #285
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's pretty funny. He was never going to recoup the money he lost, but having to settle for a deal he would have got last year is a clear L on his part.

Remember when he said he wanted over 17m per year and it would take 100m for him to play for the Jets? Yeah, well played, Le'veon.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #286
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Steelers offer was for $10 million guaranteed, not $33 million, so if you wanna cut him a break he came away with more guaranteed money in the bank. But he did make a rap album so maybe he'll make up that lost money from last year another way.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #287
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Steelers offer was for $10 million guaranteed, not $33 million, so if you wanna cut him a break he came away with more guaranteed money in the bank. But he did make a rap album so maybe he'll make up that lost money from last year another way.
he had 33m virtually guaranteed through roster bonuses and such. Semantics. All he had to do was show up and not smoke weed.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #288
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you look at the Steelers current mess, I don't think it's a stretch they would have cut him after last season. Conner is much cheaper and they need money to build a better roster. Nevermind had he torn his ACL he'd be done. The only thing that matters anymore is the actually guaranteed money. NFL is too ruthless, just look at Odell one year after signing a contract.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #289
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the team that's still holding on to Chris Boswell? Yeah, I doubt it.

but hey, I hope he's happy and all of this was worth it. In any case, it just shows that teams don't overpay RBs and Bell learned the hard way.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #290
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Indeed. These guys have the misguided impression that they are irreplaceable (well, and I suppose the ego goes with the confidence you need) when in fact there are only a handful of players in the league, virtually all of them QBs, that are in fact not replaceable. Not sure if anyone else beside the Patriots has figured that out...
I do agree that teams with really good offensive lines and offensive schemes can plug and play running backs as the Steelers showed last season. The Patriots value the running game and have won a lot of Super Bowls without the need for an elite running back. ESPN grades the the Bell deal as a C- for the Jets because of the money and the fact that there are few if any examples of big contract for veteran running backs that ever work out.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...g-signing-move
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #291
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've been reading Barnwell's grades he basically hates every signing, everything has been B- or worse pretty much.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #292
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Steven Nelson signing for the Steelers. Not too expensive and it'd really help if he could just be a solid #2 opposite from Joe Haden.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #293
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
If you've been reading Barnwell's grades he basically hates every signing, everything has been B- or worse pretty much.
He gave the Browns an A for the OBJ deal.

Ringer, Barnwell, 538's projection all seem to be in agreement that the Giants got hosed. So I can't see it as a hefty price tag, especially considering that while Peppers made improvements in year two, he still has a ways to go. Even if he becomes an all-pro, giving your young QB an elite level WR1 (Which will also let Landry return to the role he had in Miami and makes him more valuable because of that) is worth it.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #294
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Giants are rebuilding, so to get a top 15 pick for a guy with a pretty onerous contract is overall not bad. It's also worth remembering that when it comes to winning the Super Bowl, elite WRs are generally not part of the equation. Elite offensive line? Bingo.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #295
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for the Browns. That division is a wasteland right now and its theirs for the taking.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #296
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earl Thomas signing with the Ravens. Sigh
Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #297
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Yup...and Barnwell is a terrific columnist/opinionist.

But he hates UFA time....passionately.

Lots of these deals dont pan, out. Inarguable.

Plenty do though. Its finding a balance, as an organization, between draft and develop and trade/fa signings.

Cleveland has gone way way to far, to fast IMO, but then again they had nothing to lose. The Jets need to be careful.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #298
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Thomas and all but this seems excessive for a guy coming off a serious injury on the downside of his career.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105864566473396225
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #299
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
He gave the Browns an A for the OBJ deal.

Ringer, Barnwell, 538's projection all seem to be in agreement that the Giants got hosed. So I can't see it as a hefty price tag, especially considering that while Peppers made improvements in year two, he still has a ways to go. Even if he becomes an all-pro, giving your young QB an elite level WR1 (Which will also let Landry return to the role he had in Miami and makes him more valuable because of that) is worth it.
And that was as much because of fit/circumstances as anything.

Young QB now gets two good friends who have excelled at the highest level while working with the guy credited for coaching them to the NFL level to begin with in heir LSU receivers coach.

Perfect storm and probably going to work out just fine for them.

nm
Old 03-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #300
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark Ingram also to the Ravens, at 3 years and $15 million.

Disappointed to hear what he signed for, I'm sure if the Saints thought they could get him at $5M/yr they would've locked that down. Sounds like his camp was looking for - and going to get - $8 million/year just yesterday, his market must've dried up fast. That, combined with it sounds like the Saints felt their window of opportunity to sign Murray was very small, figured they were going to be unable to sign Ingram at that price tag and faced with the possibility of missing out on both, had to make the move for Murray yesterday.

Good luck to Mark, love that guy and think his play style will fit the Ravens very well. He's also a HUGE positive locker room presence, Saints players on Twitter seem shocked and crushed he is gone. I'm sure Kamara most of all.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote