Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #2021
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think a lot of it depends on the next month or so.

If Rittich can wrestle back the number one spot and run with it, ... either now or in the playoffs then they add a veteran backup to play 25 games and they're set.

If he doesn't ... they need to go hard after a proven number one, and bring back Rittich to back him up.

Through November I thought it was the former, fingers still crossed.
I don't think there's any scenario where Rittich is the unquestioned starting goaltender next season. You can tell Peters doesn't really trust either guy at this point and the GM will be looking to upgrade this position for his coach whether by trade or signing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #2022
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Which column specifically are you looking at?

Avg xFSV% I think. Someone above this post quoted that original post and it has the right graph displayed. Should have Dubnyk on top.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #2023
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I know the thread is about Smith, but it seems to be more about Calgary goaltending overall. Cheers and thanks.
Right you are. Title changed to accommodate for that.

I think Robin Lehner ticks off all the right boxes. You look at his past years, and even the worst ones have been somewhat respectable. Then you look at what he's done this year, and... wow. I really hope he hits FA.

After that... I do wonder what kind of contract Bobrovsky will command. I think $10 million might be a little outlandish, especially given the year he's having -- who's gonna pay him that? But I'd really prefer Calgary stayed away.

Varlamov is theoretically appealing, but he's another goalie who is hilariously streaky. He started off similarly hot like Rittich, but he's looking more and more human as the season continues.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #2024
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Am I crazy to think that Darcy Kuemper may be the answer? What would it take to pry him loose from Arizona?
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #2025
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
TBH I would take a flyer on Smith if he comes cheap for a backup role if Tre can't find any new goalies for a decent price.

Still not convinced Gillies is ready for the big leagues yet.
If Tre can't find any new goalies "for a decent price" and another year of Mike Smith is the best he's willing to pony up for, he needs to loosen his purse strings or be shown the door. Enough of this dumpster diving.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #2026
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Am I crazy to think that Darcy Kuemper may be the answer? What would it take to pry him loose from Arizona?
Given Raanta's injury issues and how good Kuemper has been for them I don't see why Arizona would consider moving him.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #2027
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Given Raanta's injury issues and how good Kuemper has been for them I don't see why Arizona would consider moving him.
I think I hold out faint hope that they are just dumb enough to think that Raanta recovers from injury, and that Pikard is a viable backup.

Brodie, Quine and a 2nd?
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #2028
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Coyotes do have a lot of goalies. Raanta, Kuemper, Adin Hill, and Pickard are all there. Depends on how much stock Chayka puts in Raanta's injury history and how he views Hill's trajectory. Don't think Pickard will factor in that much.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #2029
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be nuts but I still like Talbot. I think he rebound and sticks it to Edmonton.
Perhaps I just like that story though.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #2030
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are making assumptions about what role Rittich will play next year then you must already have in your mind what happens with the Flames in the playoffs. There is little doubt Smith is in decline and since a UFA I see no point in bringing him back. Even with a miraculous playoff run.

But Rittich is a giant question mark for me. His playoff performance will shed a lot of light on what needs to be done.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #2031
Iggy599
Farm Team Player

Exp:

As of late it seems like our defensive play has loosened up leading to “poor performances” by both goaltenders. I’m not saying they are stealing games but it’s an overall team slump than anything. Look at the game against NJ, 2 of the goals against for sure I don’t blame on the goalie maybe even 3. Rittich also made 3-4 wonderful saves and if he hadn’t it could have been a loss (yes we won 9-4 but it was a nail biter through 2 periods). I’m a believer in Rittich and I hope the Flames stick with him.
Iggy599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #2032
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Considering the Flames have only made it past the first round two times in the past two decades, and the team didn't make the playoffs last year, that would be a success. Disregard how good their record have been, and where they are in the standings. At the beginning of the season, I think that would've been everyone criteria in a successful season.
That's a hell of a rounding error...it's actually 29 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think there's any scenario where Rittich is the unquestioned starting goaltender next season.
How about if he wins 12+ playoff games? I'm sure the Flames would still go hard for a 1B, but Rittich would almost certainly be the 1A to start next year in that scenario...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #2033
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
If Tre can't find any new goalies "for a decent price" and another year of Mike Smith is the best he's willing to pony up for, he needs to loosen his purse strings or be shown the door. Enough of this dumpster diving.

LOL "shown the door"? Yes i want a true #1 , but they don't grow on trees. Considering how the team is looking right now ,"shown the door" is a bit harsh.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #2034
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a glance at who's available (UFA) this Summer.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...it/all/goalies
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #2035
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
I think I hold out faint hope that they are just dumb enough to think that Raanta recovers from injury, and that Pikard is a viable backup.

Brodie, Quine and a 2nd?
Kuemper is leading them to a potential playoff spot. Unless he falters badly down the stretch, they have zero reason to move him, especially for a package centering around a player one year from UFA.

I expect they would love to go into next season with a healthy Raanta and Kuemper. Most teams love to have two viable options at goalie.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #2036
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Kuemper is leading them to a potential playoff spot. Unless he falters badly down the stretch, they have zero reason to move him, especially for a package centering around a player one year from UFA.

I expect they would love to go into next season with a healthy Raanta and Kuemper. Most teams love to have two viable options at goalie.
Yeah i guess they are in a rather strong position in net. With Kuemper's solid play, they can be patient with Raanta to see if he can get healthy and provide elite level results over an extended period.

Acquiring Kuemper was a pretty solid move.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #2037
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I don't know if I have seen anyone post their thoughts/opinions on what seems to have put Rittich in his slump?

I know the thread is about Smith, but it seems to be more about Calgary goaltending overall. Cheers and thanks.
Rittich's confidence right now is pretty low from the looks of it. He doesn't seem to have that swagger that he had in the first half of the season when he was looking like one of the best goaltenders in the league. He really hasn't looked the same since that 1st period pull vs San Jose.

But even then, I don't think he's been that bad either. The numbers look worse than how he's performed in my opinion. He doesn't look like BSD right now, but a lot of the goals he's giving up are on breakaways, screened shots and odd man rushes right now, so those tend to be hit or miss anyway. I would be more concerned if he was giving up deflating stinkers on a regular basis. But until that happens, I will remain confident in his ability especially if the team plays less erratic in their own end.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #2038
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Here's a glance at who's available (UFA) this Summer.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...it/all/goalies
Only Lehner has decent stats this year and he ain't going anywhere IMO. After him the best stats of a UFA are owned by - wait for it - Brian Elliott. Mind you - I likely need to adjust Talbot's numbers because of the Edmonton effect.

Most of the UFAs who have decent track records despite a less than great year (Bob, Varlamov, Howard) are long in the tooth or wouldn't come here.

There are a few RFAs who I'd love to get a look at though - Petersen, Ullmark.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #2039
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Only Lehner has decent stats this year and he ain't going anywhere IMO. After him the best stats of a UFA are owned by - wait for it - Brian Elliott. Mind you - I likely need to adjust Talbot's numbers because of the Edmonton effect.

Most of the UFAs who have decent track records despite a less than great year (Bob, Varlamov, Howard) are long in the tooth or wouldn't come here.

There are a few RFAs who I'd love to get a look at though - Petersen, Ullmark.
Brian Elliott got a lot of hate but his .910 2.55 in 49 games does not look all of that horrific. In fact out of Flames goalies who have played more than 30 games with the team, he is ranked 3rd of all time in save percentage. Only Kiprusoff and Ramo were better.

More than anything, this tells me the Flames have not had good goal tending since 2013. Also, it is an indication that as a fan base we are very eager to blame goalies for their short comings.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #2040
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Elliott's "hate" stems from his inability to play up to the moment when we needed him most.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote