Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #41
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Is Backlund jersey retirement worthy for the Flames? Let's presume he plays another 6-8 years here, then he will be entering Iggy/Gio category in terms of tenure.
Right now? no, definitely not. Even if he plays another 8 years here with the same or similar numbers.

Let's see what he does the rest of his career in Calgary, including (hopefully) a few deep playoff runs.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #42
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mikael Backlund, from 18 to 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
He probably is kicking around with a different username. Wonder what he would say about being absolutely and categorically wrong about Backlund.
Not to dishonour the departed....well ok yes exactly that... this is from his last game thread on the board 4 years ago almost to the day:

Quote:
Sam Bennett is coming, Jooris is improving, Granlund and Shore are developing. None of these guys will require 1/3rd of the NHL time he was allotted to pass his production.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #43
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Is Backlund jersey retirement worthy for the Flames? Let's presume he plays another 6-8 years here, then he will be entering Iggy/Gio category in terms of tenure.
His career reminds me of Jere Lehtinen's (who's jersey has been retired), but Lehtinen won 3 Selke's and with guys like Bergeron in the game, I think it's unlikely Backlund wins one. If he manages to play into this late 30's here, I think it's something to consider, but I believe for the most part jersey retirements should be for elite talents
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #44
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
His career reminds me of Jere Lehtinen's (who's jersey has been retired), but Lehtinen won 3 Selke's and with guys like Bergeron in the game, I think it's unlikely Backlund wins one. If he manages to play into this late 30's here, I think it's something to consider, but I believe for the most part jersey retirements should be for elite talents
Forever a Flame is what guys like Conroy, Backlund (Backs pending a few more years here of course) and a handful of others would have been appropriate for, as opposed to jersey retirement. It would have actually made it a meaningful honor for guys who otherwise would have probably never had their number hung yet were important members of the team for a long time.

Last edited by Jetfire; 03-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #45
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Forever a Flame is what guys like Conroy, Backlund (Backs pending a few more years here of course) and a handful of others would have been appropriate for, as opposed to jersey retirement. It would have actually made it a meaningful honor for guys who otherwise would have otherwise probably never had their number hung yet were important members of the team for a long time.
Yeah I agree. I don't think Backlund is worthy of a jersey retirement even if he spends an entire long 15 year career as a second line centre. It would be like if the Devils retired Zajac's number.

The guys who deserve jersey retirements are Iggy, Lanny, Vernon, Kipper, MacInnis and Fleury
Old 03-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #46
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully some current players make that list eventually. Gio, Monahan and Gaudreau?
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #47
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Hopefully some current players make that list eventually. Gio, Monahan and Gaudreau?
Gio is very likely, I'd say he needs a deep run or two. The norris trophy will help. He also can't fall off a cliff within the next few seasons

Gaudreau is obviously on good pace but he needs to stay here (which I believe he will). If he remains here for most of his career and is still an elite point producer, it's a no brainer

Monahan needs to also remain here for a very long time and be a perennial 30 goal 70 point guy for a long time at the very least IMO. I'd say he's definitely on good pace considering a lot of us still think he has another level to reach

Tkachuk is also a possibility. A very unique player and I think if he stays here for a very long time he will be a no brainer. Can score, feisty, and a pretty big person for the city.

It's waaay too early to tell for Monahan and Tkachuk, and Gaudreau needs to stay here for a lot longer. I assume after 3 seasons of Dion, everyone thought he was gonna be a norris winner and on great track for the hall of fame, but that ain't happening. Gio only has a few more things to accomplish to fit the bill.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #48
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i don't remember which game of the finals my buddy and i were at in kelowna - but it was great!! i think we were the only two people in the arena wearing hitmen jerseys
i know calgary won the game we were at - which was awesome, but the best part was when the rockets scored. i think backlund scored twice (?) and both times we jumped up and cheered with everyone else. the fans right around us were so confused. we explained that backlund would be playing for the flames in the fall - and we cheer for calgary first - future flames or hitmen - it made no difference to us!!!
i guess the game was televised and i had a few messages on my answering machine from friends chirping me for going to the game and wearing a hitmen jersey

i also got to meet backlund in penticton at the young stars tourney - he was such a nice guy (and i'm sure he still is). i told him the story above and he thought it was pretty funny.
That was me who was with you at the game! #CalgaryFirst
DSIM420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #49
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund can't be 30. Wasn't he 22 just yesterday?
Maybe it's me.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Backlund can't be 30. Wasn't he 22 just yesterday?
Maybe it's me.
You were 22 just yesterday? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #51
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

One more Backlund anecdote... I forget what year but the Flames completely demolished the Oilers right before the end of the year and he was doing the post-game interview and the interviewer was talking about what a great game he played and he shrugged off the praise because the Oilers... "They're not a real NHL team"

What he meant was that they were depleted by trades and injuries and thus basically an AHL team at the time but him just plainly calling them not a real NHL team made me smile.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #52
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund's pick was the first productive NHL player the Flames drafted in 3 years. Ooof.

2005 draft
Matt Pelech - 13 games
Gord Baldwin
Dan Ryder
JD Watt
Kevin Lalonde
Matt Keetley - 1 game
Brett Sutter - 60 games
Myles Rumsey

2006 draft
Leland Irving - 13 games
John Armstrong
Aaron Marvin
Hugo Carpentier
Juuso Puustinen
Jordan Fulton
Devin DiDiomete
Per Johnsson

That's awful.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #53
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Backlund's pick was the first productive NHL player the Flames drafted in 3 years. Ooof.

2005 draft
Matt Pelech - 13 games
Gord Baldwin
Dan Ryder
JD Watt
Kevin Lalonde
Matt Keetley - 1 game
Brett Sutter - 60 games
Myles Rumsey

2006 draft
Leland Irving - 13 games
John Armstrong
Aaron Marvin
Hugo Carpentier
Juuso Puustinen
Jordan Fulton
Devin DiDiomete
Per Johnsson

That's awful.
Shh... Hush now. It's over. The dark days are gone. It's okay now.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #54
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took a look at the Flames all-time list because of Gio passing Regehr for 2nd most games and was surprised when I saw that Backlund is already 9th on the list. He'll pass Gary Suter before the season ends.

1219 Iginla
827 Giordano
826 Regehr
803 MacInnis
791 Fleury
730 Otto
711 Peplinski
617 Suter
613 Backlund
586 Macoun

time flies ... and not bad for a guy that was written off by quite a few fans early in his career. With him being under contract until 2024, I imagine he'll climb pretty high on that ladder. I hope he's a career Flame.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #55
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another 20 goal season for Backlund and he continues to climb up the Flames games played chart. He will go up to 8th this season itself.
He is also Top 20 in goals, assists (21st but still) and points.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #56
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This says more about you improving as an analyst than it does about Backlund becoming something.
Perhaps. I was 100% wrong about Backlund back in the day and it's taught me to be a lot more patient with Bennett. I know a lot of other people were also a little dissatisfied with Backs. Incredible how he really stepped it up in 2015. He's become one of the most important players on the team.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #57
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

This was the most recent Mikael Backlund thread I could find, so it seemed like the best place to post it.

I have always been a fan of him, although he took a little longer to establish himself. I'm glad he's earning his accolades now.

Comparing Mikael Backlund to Rest of 2007 Draft
https://thehockeywriters.com/calgary...ft-comparison/
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #58
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Good find. You could have started a new thread probably.

The writer of the article places Backlund (24) as the 5th pick in hindsight behind Pat Kane (1), Voracek (7), Couture (9) and Pacioretty (22).

Not bad!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #59
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think 5th is a little high for Backlund in an '07 redraft. Did the author completely forget about Benn and Subban?

For context, I'd probably redraft the top-15 from 2007 like this:

1. Patrick Kane
2. Jamie Benn
3. PK Subban
4. Logan Couture
5. Jakub Voracek
6. Ryan McDonagh
7. Max Pacioretty
8. Mikael Backlund
9. Wayne Simmonds
10. James van Riemsdyk
11. David Perron
12. Kevin Shattenkirk
13. Jake Muzzin
14. Kyle Turris
15. Evgenii Dadonov

HMs -- Alec Martinez, Lars Eller, Sam Gagner, Nick Bonino, Karl Alzner, Paul Byron

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #60
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think 5th is a little high for Backlund in an '07 redraft. Did the author completely forget about Benn and Subban?

For context, I'd probably redraft the top-15 from 2007 like this:

1. Patrick Kane
2. Jamie Benn
3. PK Subban
4. Logan Couture
5. Jakub Voracek
6. Ryan McDonagh
7. Max Pacioretty
8. Mikael Backlund
9. Wayne Simmonds
10. James van Riemsdyk
11. David Perron
12. Kevin Shattenkirk
13. Jake Muzzin
14. Kyle Turris
15. Evgenii Dadonov

HMs -- Alec Martinez, Lars Eller, Sam Gagner, Nick Bonino, Karl Alzner, Paul Byron
It's a little strange, perhaps, but I think the author is listing players that *were* selected ahead of Backlund who still deserve to be. Benn and Subban were picked after Backlund I believe.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post: