Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default March Madness Draft - Workshop

I posted this in the Draft Ideas thread, and since March is almost upon us, I'll get started with setting this up. It would be unlike most of the drafts on here, in that after the draft, the actual tournament evaluates who wins the draft - you get points based on how well your teams do.

Draft scope:

My initial thought was to have a small draft: just eight managers, each picking eight teams. This would also ensure that everyone would get a good mix from 1-2 seeds to 15-16 seeds. Dis and HD already responded in the 'draft ideas' thread, so they get the first spots. Only five spots left. We could also do it with 16 managers, each picking four teams. When you respond confirming that you'd like to be in, please state whether your preference is for a eight or sixteen manager league: if the first eight respondents all want an eight team league, that's what it will be.

Making your picks:

Obviously we can't wait until selection day and then cram 64 picks into less than a week. We already know who a lot of the teams are going to be, so I suggest that we start picking beginning March 1. Ass-kicks will be set at 12 hours. Draft will be non-snaking.
This may result in some people picking teams that end up not making the cut. No worries: after selection day, we'll throw all the teams that made the tournament selection but weren't drafted by any of us back into the draft, and you can replace your teams that didn't get selected with some that did.
In the event that the draft isn't finished by the day before the tournament, we'll have a last minute 'feeding frenzy' round where you can fill out your roster without worrying about draft order.

Trades:

Trades are welcome and encouraged at any point, including prior to picks (ie. trading drafting positions), after they've been selected, or even after the tournament has begun. You cannot trade a team that has been eliminated or wasn't selected for the tournament, however. Trades do not need to be one-for-one; it may be a good strategy to load up on as many low seeds as possible, or it may be a good idea to trade all your low seeds and focus on a couple high seeds.

Scoring:

I'm of two minds on this: either a simple system where 1 point equals 1 win, or a graded system where the value of a win increases by one each round. A method in-between these two would be that the value goes up by one every other round (first two rounds are worth 1 point, second two rounds are worth 2 points, final four are worth 3 points). In this situation, a sweet 16 team would be worth 2 points, a final four would be worth six, and a champion would be worth 12 points.

(The standard bracket system where the value doubles with each round doesn't make sense here, since, with only one person owning the winning team, it would then become just a matter of who picks it.)

I'm open to suggestions for how it should be scored. Let me know what you think...

Managers:

1. Octothorp
2. Displaced Flames Fan
3. Halifax Drunk
4. Straybullet
5. Trojan97
6. drew24
7. GirlySports
8. itcrossedtheline

When you reply, to be in this draft, please let me know
a) your preference for an eight or sixteen team league
b) your preference for a scoring system

Last edited by octothorp; 03-02-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would definitely favor 8 teams and a graduating scoring system. I agree that it shouldn't be much of a headache to fill out rosters after selection Sunday. Great job!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I'm for 8 teams too unless there is an overwhelming response to join in the next day.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In-ski.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd love to.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i'll join.... please and thank you.

Last edited by drew24; 02-26-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: manners
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Nobody else? I'll join.

8 teams is enough.
How about a 1-1-2-2-3-4 system?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the 1-1-2-2-3-4 suggestion: it gives some graduation without being too steep. If nobody has any objections, we'll go with that.

I'll post the draft thread Monday morning. If we're still at 7 people, we can have teams of 9, although we could accept an eighth person up until the end of the first round.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also like Girly's suggestion for scoring.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
itcrossedtheline
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll take the last spot, i like the 8 teams with girly sports scoring
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great, I'll post the draft thread later this morning...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
itcrossedtheline
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just curious why the draft is non-snaking?

Seems like the last pick will have the disadvantage every round. Not trying to stir anything up, just wondering
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcrossedtheline View Post
Just curious why the draft is non-snaking?

Seems like the last pick will have the disadvantage every round. Not trying to stir anything up, just wondering
Agreed. I think this draft needs to snake.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

okay, we can change it to snaking if that's the consensus; I have no problem with that. Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #15
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I think snake. For other drafts desn't really matter because a winner is not decided by an outcome of who we draft. This one is.