Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Penske Buys Indy

Yeah... like all of it. The Speedway, IndyCar - the whole she-bang.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...indycar-series

For those of us who lived through the CART/IRL wars of the early 2000's, this is a crazy final chapter. Too bad the series as a whole imploded as a result of the rift, never to regain it's stature.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Yeah... like all of it. The Speedway, IndyCar - the whole she-bang.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...indycar-series

For those of us who lived through the CART/IRL wars of the early 2000's, this is a crazy final chapter. Too bad the series as a whole imploded as a result of the rift, never to regain it's stature.
No kidding.

Hard to fathom that open wheel racing was a legit sport in this country and more popular than NASCAR in the states, and not even that long ago.

They self destructed and will never ever get it back.

This is a good move to at least solidify everything moving forward though.

I still love watching this form of racing. So many good Canadian drivers through the years as well.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Indycar has produced some great racing in recent years. They still have some issues racing at 2nd rage tracks and are rarely on tv in Canada since SN dropped all but a few races but hopefully it can see a resurgence.

F1 continues to set viewership records on ESPN in recent years, albeit not a high bar.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good.

Hoping they wake up standardize the chassis/parts with F2 at the end of the current development cycle (which I think is after next season).
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's got to make the other teams *real* happy. The Captain who keeps beating everyone now owns the jewel of the series and the entire damn organization who runs the series.

Sure he's "stepping down" from calling the shots pitside but this is Roger - he's relentless and so damn good at finding every little advantage he can. 1994 Mercedes/Ilmor pushrod motors were brilliant and I always love reading about what he'll do to win. Witness the Mark Donohue TransAm:

Quote:
During their enormous success in Trans-Am, Penske and Donohue would begin to experiment with their Camaros. They discovered that dipping a car in an acid bath would eat away small amounts of metal, which in turn made the car incrementally lighter, and allowed it to be driven faster. The 1967 Z-28 won its last race by lapping the entire field of cars, causing suspicion throughout the paddock.[citation needed]

During a post-race inspection, race stewards discovered that the car was 250 pounds lighter than the 2,800-pound minimum weight requirement. Donohue was about to have his race victory taken away for cheating, but Roger Penske stepped in. Penske warned that any disqualification would have the potential of motivating Chevrolet to pull all support for the Trans-Am series. After considering the potential consequences, the race stewards allowed Donohue's victory to stand, but the rules for the 1968 season incorporated a change whereby all cars would be weighed during the technical inspection before the race.

Penske and Donohue did not stop acid-dipping after this, however. Continuing the practice of reducing weight allowed them to place weights of certain sizes strategically in specific locations within the car, thus helping to balance the car while being driven on the limit. Acid-dipping car bodies was prevalent with competing Trans-Am teams also.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-04-2019 at 08:34 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Good.

Hoping they wake up standardize the chassis/parts with F2 at the end of the current development cycle (which I think is after next season).
Why they standardize with F2?

Or even F1 for that matter?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Why they standardize with F2?

Or even F1 for that matter?
Costs. Dallara builds both F2 and IndyCar chassis.