Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The problem is higher up? O'Brien has got the last two GM's fired. He is the higher up.
Ownership remains the problem with the Texans. Cal McNair way too involved and out of his depth. Firing O’Brien is a step in the right direction but organization was dysfunctional before he got there.

All that said, today’s moves make the Texans a much better team today. Future be damned.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #22
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a huge risk for the Texans, but O'Brien is getting fired if they don't make a run this year anyway so might as well go for it. Although this is what poorly run teams do, because O'Brien should never have been given GM power when he's in a win or get fired year. But if you are gonna go all in, might as well sign Clowney too and just go nuclear on the future.

As for the Dolphins, the risk now is Tua stays, but that's a low risk because they can tank again next year, pick up ever more assets, and get to choose between Tua and Trevor.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #23
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I read the rumors about Clowney and a first for Tunsil but Miami declined fearing there would be a mutiny in the locker room.

I suppose the pick package for a rebuilding team makes more sense, but the players still won't like losing a stalwart left tackle.

Texans needed to help that line and Tunsil should be a big upgrade to stabalize one side of that line. Stills might work better with Houston as a deep threat than he did in Miami. But subtracting Clowney from that defense will impact it at every level. But last year a team who couldn't defend a lick came very close to making the Superbowl. Houston won't be anywhere near the 32nd defense. They also traded for Carlos Hyde too. He was not good in camp for K.C and I will be surprised if he makes the season on the roster.

I must admit that Schneider continues to do a good job finding value and reshaping the Seahawks roster. Clowney never had pass rush numbers that blow you away but he is a very versatile defender who can do a lot.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I read the rumors about Clowney and a first for Tunsil but Miami declined fearing there would be a mutiny in the locker room.

I suppose the pick package for a rebuilding team makes more sense, but the players still won't like losing a stalwart left tackle.

Texans needed to help that line and Tunsil should be a big upgrade to stabalize one side of that line. Stills might work better with Houston as a deep threat than he did in Miami. But subtracting Clowney from that defense will impact it at every level. But last year a team who couldn't defend a lick came very close to making the Superbowl. Houston won't be anywhere near the 32nd defense. They also traded for Carlos Hyde too. He was not good in camp for K.C and I will be surprised if he makes the season on the roster.

I must admit that Schneider continues to do a good job finding value and reshaping the Seahawks roster. Clowney never had pass rush numbers that blow you away but he is a very versatile defender who can do a lot.
It's a perfect situation for the Hawks as they didn't give up a lot to get him so there's not pressure to sign him long term as the guy has no cartilage in one knee so teams are weary of guaranteeing him a lot of money. It's a big opportunity for him to ball out on what's always a good defense and set himself up for a big payday.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #25
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Plus add in that the Texans paid the 7 million signing bonus and Seattle basically get Ansah and Clowney for less money than Frank Clark, whom they got a severe overpayment on in trade.

Even if Clowney did leave...the Seahawks more or less will get a comp pick back that is similar to the 3rd they sent out. Mingo and Martin are easily replaceable.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's a huge risk for the Texans, but O'Brien is getting fired if they don't make a run this year anyway so might as well go for it. Although this is what poorly run teams do, because O'Brien should never have been given GM power when he's in a win or get fired year. But if you are gonna go all in, might as well sign Clowney too and just go nuclear on the future.

As for the Dolphins, the risk now is Tua stays, but that's a low risk because they can tank again next year, pick up ever more assets, and get to choose between Tua and Trevor.
You can’t say with any certainty that O’Brien is on the hot seat. Where are you hearing or reading this?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can he not be on the hot seat? His tenure contains only have one playoff win against a Raiders team that was playing practice squad QBs, otherwise the Texans have been underachievers. That he's pushing for an all-in year this year pretty strongly suggests he's under pressure.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

SI's Week 1 Power Rankings:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/03/nf...-chiefs-saints

ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ide-every-team

Last edited by troutman; 09-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That SI one sure is a stupid power rankings. The Cowboys without Zeke are not a top 10 team. The Packers at 7, ahead of the Bears and Chargers? Why?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

CBS

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...n-youd-expect/

NFL Network:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-power-...chnfln_hpthird
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #31
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh boy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1169202418980130817
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are going to cave in to a player demands why draw it out this long and wait until the first week of the season? Dak Prescott should be the 2nd happiest player in that building today. All of that said it was the right move to sign him before the season started because without Elliott that offense would struggle.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want what Pete Prisco is smoking. While I think it's possible for Green Bay to have a bounce back season has Matt Lafleur shown anything over his career that he's ready to be a head coach? Acing interviews doesn't make one a great coach. He could very well be a good coach but I would prefer to sit back and see some results before crowning him especially in a division where the Vikings and Bears have better overall rosters.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #34
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zeke really couldn't have done much better, got to miss all of camp and Jerry caved anyway. Now I hope he's ready to be run into the ground the next three years he's owed the guaranteed money.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #35
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

man I'm so, so, so happy that he's another team's problem now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1169255253553737733
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how Mayock actually fined him for this stuff as I was worried the team was going too far accommodating him. It's like AB thought he could keep himself out of training camp participation while still getting paid. That said this is probably standard operations when a team misses training camp time and who knows if the Raiders actually withhold the money.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-04-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #37
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt that Burfict cheap shot a few years ago severely damaged this guy's brain. He's been way more crazy since. It's basically a given he has CTE.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #38
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I want what Pete Prisco is smoking. While I think it's possible for Green Bay to have a bounce back season has Matt Lafleur shown anything over his career that he's ready to be a head coach? Acing interviews doesn't make one a great coach. He could very well be a good coach but I would prefer to sit back and see some results before crowning him especially in a division where the Vikings and Bears have better overall rosters.
Doesn't directly answer your question but this was an interesting article on Matt Lafleur, among others.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/23/wa...e-shanahan-rg3
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #39
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are wayyyyyyy too high on the Chargers this year.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
People are wayyyyyyy too high on the Chargers this year.
It will come crashing down when they lose to the Colts this weekend.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post: