Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #11421
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Just get ready for that tattoo bro.
5-10% of the reason I actually want it to happen. It would be higher but the sheer awesomeness of having Tavares centering our first line is just so magnificent.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #11422
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I can't believe we are still talking about Tavares like it is a remote possibility, it isn't. How about we discuss anything in the realm of actual possibility? I mean it is a free board to wish and dream about whatever you want but John Tavares is not going to be a Flame. I have a better chance of winning LottoMax and getting hit by lighting at the same time.
You keep harping on this, but The Flames are one of the few teams that can offer him a chance to win now and pay him 11M/Season. So it is reasonable to talk about it.

Don't read the thread if you do not want to read Tavares speculation
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #11423
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Leafs were ever actually interested in Hamonic, I would see if there is a deal structured around Hamonic for Nylander or Marner. Leafs actually have a pretty good cap situation, but a trade like that could free up some space for them to take a run at John Tavares which would give them impressive depth at center (Matthews, Tavares and Kadri) with enough servicable wingers (one of Marner/Nylander, Hyman, Brown, Marleau, possible re-signing of JVR and Johnsson coming up from the minors).

I have my doubts as to whether Hamonic has much value, but that would be a trade that could possibly help both teams.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #11424
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Not convinced Calgary is a cup contender even with Tavares but won’t deny it doesn’t make them better.

It’s been said many times on this site but when you watch the playoffs and then recall to the last 20 games of our season....... Calgary looked pretty far away from being competitive for the Cup.

Will reserve judgment until we see how Peters’ Flames perform but Calgary has a LONG way to go to be cup contenders and Tavares doesn’t fix them overnight.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #11425
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The last 20 games that included injuries and a depleted roster that was missing (at various stages)
Gaudreau
Monahan
Tkachuk
Brodie
Smith
Old 05-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #11426
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
You keep harping on this, but The Flames are one of the few teams that can offer him a chance to win now and pay him 11M/Season. So it is reasonable to talk about it.

Don't read the thread if you do not want to read Tavares speculation
No, they really can't. Tkachuk is going to not be cheap, assuming he keeps on the trajectory he is on he is looking at Gaudreau money, possibly more. The year after Brodie and Hamonic will both need raises and the year after that Hamilton will. Yet you want to spend 11M/season on a position that is not even a need. Hey, go ahead and clog the thread up with useless speculation though. Shall we ponder trading for Crosby or McDavid as well?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #11427
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The last 20 games that included injuries and a depleted roster that was missing (at various stages)
Gaudreau
Monahan
Tkachuk
Brodie
Smith
It comes down to coaching, but Calgary was a pretty ugly team. It’s possible even without Tavares and a new coach / same roster the Flames emerge as a great team.

The biggest problem was coaching, but I’m not 100% sure we know it also wasn’t that the players just aren’t good enough. So I’m not therefore convinced that one star makes them a contender overnight when they didn’t even finish this season in the top 1/2 of the league. Rather, that they finished 20th in the NHL should ground people in reality that they have much, much to prove to be considered a contender, even with John Tavares (who’s coming here i’d peg at about 1%).

Every team has a reason he may want to play there. San Jose? Dallas? Hell even Edmonton has the new arena & McDavid factors. Every fan base is telling themselves why Tavares would want to come play there.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #11428
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
No, they really can't. Tkachuk is going to not be cheap, assuming he keeps on the trajectory he is on he is looking at Gaudreau money, possibly more. The year after Brodie and Hamonic will both need raises and the year after that Hamilton will. Yet you want to spend 11M/season on a position that is not even a need. Hey, go ahead and clog the thread up with useless speculation though. Shall we ponder trading for Crosby or McDavid as well?
Brodie and Hamonic will either be gone to FA, traded or kept at a lower/similar rate.

You also have movable pieces in Frolik and Stone who will both have one year remaining on their contracts after next season.

Brouwer can be buried in the AHL after next season or bought out much cheaper.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #11429
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
It comes down to coaching, but Calgary was a pretty ugly team. It’s possible even without Tavares and a new coach / same roster the Flames emerge as a great team.

The biggest problem was coaching, but I’m not 100% sure we know it also wasn’t that the players just aren’t good enough. So I’m not therefore convinced that one star makes them a contender overnight when they didn’t even finish this season in the top 1/2 of the league. Rather, that they finished 20th in the NHL should ground people in reality that they have much, much to prove to be considered a contender, even with John Tavares (who’s coming here i’d peg at about 1%).

Every team has a reason he may want to play there. San Jose? Dallas? Hell even Edmonton has the new arena & McDavid factors. Every fan base is telling themselves why Tavares would want to come play there.
My comment wasn't about Tavares so much as you really can't compare the team that limped (and outright collapsed) over the last 20 games of the season to any team currently in the playoffs. The Flames over the last 20 games were a shell of the team that sat in a playoff spot a month or so prior to that.

Totally agree that the same team and a new coach could be excellent, and consistent.

Last edited by Toonage; 05-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #11430
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Finnish goaltender Mikko Koskinen just signed a 1year deal with the Oilers worth $2.5 million according to capfriendly. He has been a great performer internationally and in KHL for years.

Didn't Brad Treliving say last year he tried to sign Koskinen but it would have worked out to $5 million per year?. Perhaps Mikko didn't want to come to Calgary very much.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #11431
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

That doesn't sound like information Brad would share.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #11432
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I believe Brad gave a radio interview on Fan 960 indicating that because the salaries in KHL are tax free the money paid to Mikko would work out to $5 million in NHL. He then traded for Mike Smith a short time later. Anybody else remember hearing this interview?.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #11433
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Finnish goaltender Mikko Koskinen just signed a 1year deal with the Oilers worth $2.5 million according to capfriendly. He has been a great performer internationally and in KHL for years.

Didn't Brad Treliving say last year he tried to sign Koskinen but it would have worked out to $5 million per year?. Perhaps Mikko didn't want to come to Calgary very much.
Mikko should fire his agent if that is the case.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #11434
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I believe Brad gave a radio interview on Fan 960 indicating that because the salaries in KHL are tax free the money paid to Mikko would work out to $5 million in NHL. He then traded for Mike Smith a short time later. Anybody else remember hearing this interview?.
I don't think Treliving has ever discussed dollar figures for any player that they didn't sign, so I'm pretty sure this interview you remember was from a dream you had.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #11435
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I don't think Treliving has ever discussed dollar figures for any player that they didn't sign, so I'm pretty sure this interview you remember was from a dream you had.
Certain it wasn't a dream. Perhaps he didn't talk about trying to sign Mikko but stated what his NHL equivalent salary would be. I am not too concerned with Flames goaltending right now Brad has other holes to try and fill.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #11436
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
No, but if they were free agents and in situations they don’t seem happy with then I would absolutely think about that as a possibility.

Flames can pay him $11mil next season. You worry about the remaining seasons as time goes on. Obviously for Tavares you don’t retain both Hamonic and Brodie. But you don’t want to read about options related to Tavares so I won’t get into it.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #11437
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The year after Brodie and Hamonic will both need raises

According to you Brodie is useless and is going to be shot into the sun. Now he's part of the long term plans when you're ranting that all Tavares discussion be stopped?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #11438
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's speculation- of course fans will speculate on the biggest free agent signing with their team.

I would also argue that center depth is a need. Backlund as your number 2 just isn't good enough if you're planning on competing for a Stanley Cup. Adding a player like Tavares pushes everyone down a notch and gives Calgary three stellar pairs on each line.

You wouldn't consider signing Tavares because Hamonic and Brodie will need raises in a few years? Especially when the greatest strength of our prospect pool is our defense? That seems like a poor way to build a team. Ideally we have young players taking those spots in a few years.

Crosby and McDavid aren't free agents...0% chance there.

Tavares might only be a 2% chance, but even then 2% is worth speculation.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #11439
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lol, sounds like Karri Ramo 2.0.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #11440
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
How much does McDonald's pay these days anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Im not sure. Why dont you look at your pay stub
This was excellent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread