Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #1141
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be interesting to see how they fit Galvis in for the rest of the season.

Bo needs to play everyday at SS
Vlad needs the most reps at 3B
Biggio needs to play at 2B a ton as well.

Where is Galvis going to play?

I also wonder if they will try to re-sign Smoak now that he hasn't been traded. I don't think it's a bad idea to have an anchor at 1B like him for all those young IFers to lean on. I'm just not much of a fan of Tellez, and anyone else at 1B seems to make too many mistakes on D compared to Smoak. Plus his plate discipline is fantastic, that approach could rub off on some of the younger guys too.

Too bad they couldn't get a haul for Giles, but he seems to genuinely like to be in TO, and he's under control for another year so hopefully he can continue to be anchor in the BP for the #### load of young pitchers that will coming through now. Still not impressed with Montoyo for pitching Giles 3 days in a row. He has been battling injuries ever since that happened.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #1142
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Going to be interesting to see how they fit Galvis in for the rest of the season.
Biggio has positional flexibility... he's gonna be our Zobrist. So I imagine it'll be Bo at SS (with Galvis getting the occasional turn) and Biggio/Galvis splitting time at 2nd (with Biggio taking some reps in the outfield and at 1st base). DH days for everyone.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #1143
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Biggio has positional flexibility... he's gonna be our Zobrist. So I imagine it'll be Bo at SS (with Galvis getting the occasional turn) and Biggio/Galvis splitting time at 2nd (with Biggio taking some reps in the outfield and at 1st base). DH days for everyone.
Makes sense.

Drury spelling Vlad out at 3B too
Old 07-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #1144
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t understand how you guys can be so sour on Sanchez? I get that he has not pitched well the last few years, but he has been limited to ~50 starts over that time frame due to injuries. His velocity is down but I wonder if that is an attempt to forego further finger problems. He’s still got good stuff, as evident by him striking out the first six batters in his last start. And his movement is still electric. To me he screams of a guy to let finish this year, see if he can build value and/or regain his form, and check in the off season as where to go next. It’s better than just trading him for the sake of trading him.

If the trade was Biagini and Cal for Derek Fischer I guess I would be ok with it. But they basically have 4 or 5 Derek’s already. Another one if you include Dwight Smith Jr who they traded away.

Atkins said in his press conference that he and his scouts have a lot of hope for the prospects that they picked up. Hope doesn’t necessitate confidence. And if we’re talking quantity over quality, how can turning 6 big leaguers and a prospect into 5 prospects adhere to that philosophy.

So I think Jays fans, myself included, have every right to be upset about the moves of the last few days.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 06:31 PM   #1145
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just didn't see the need to trade Sanchez this season if they were going to sell low on him. The Astros have fixed a ton of arms of late and my guess is that they will do the same to Sanchez.

I don't think this trade will look good for the Jays in the long run.

Fisher is only a year younger than Sanchez and looks like a AAAA player.

This trade reminds me a lot of the J.A. Happ trade.

I think the Blue Jays management team do a great job of drafting, but they aren't very good at trades.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #1146
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

How does a team sell “high” on Sanchez when he is consistently delivering poor performances?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #1147
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

To defend Sanchez, for all we know he is trying to redefine his style to not cause finger issues. Could take a few seasons but hes got a crap ton of raw talent and drive. I personally would have held on a bit longer. But thats just my opinion.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #1148
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
To defend Sanchez, for all we know he is trying to redefine his style to not cause finger issues. Could take a few seasons but hes got a crap ton of raw talent and drive. I personally would have held on a bit longer. But thats just my opinion.
This is where I fall as well. I've felt for a while the problems of inconsistency have a lot to do with just not being healthy enough to pitch and gain that consistency. i would have liked to let him try or worst case then abandon him as a starter and put him back as a reliever where I have no doubt he would have been lights out and helped his value.

Risk there though is if he doesn't happen he's a non tender candidate and you get nothing for him. i would have been willing to accept that though given the return doesn't exactly look fantastic. Like many of Atkins acquisitions though maybe it proves me wrong, talent sure looks like it's there.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 AM   #1149
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

So you would rather give an asset like Sanchez, one that has shown no sign of improving but is actually regressing, more time to potentially get better but at the same time risk him getting worse/not improve and eventually getting nothing from that asset in terms of a trade all because you think that the return today wasn't to your liking? That's just not how I would do it.

Don't get me wrong, I am a little underwhelmed with the return for Sanchez, Biagini and Stevenson. And I think a lot of people are thinking Billy Mckinney/Socrates Brito/Brandon Drury/Teoscar Hernandez when they see a guy like Derek Fisher, which is fair because this front office has shown an irritating proclivity to acquire guys who seem almost there but not quite. But the histrionics are hard to handle and I just want to take a wait and see approach and also think that Sanchez was genuinely terrible.

The Stroman trade is starting to sit fine with me as well. After seeing what other pitchers got and what pitchers didn't get moved because teams are likely more unwilling than ever to give up premium prospect capital. Greinke didn't get either of the Astro's top two prospects. granted they have a deep system. Shane Greene was one of the top closers on the market, got Joey Wentz and Travis Demeritte, neither of which were in the Braves top 10 prospect pool.

I guess I just see what they are doing as an organization in acquiring a ton of depth with years of control to maximize their financial flexibility so when they are in a position where they are competitive they can capitalize either through free agency or most likely trading for a player with a big contract, and frankly, I kind of like it. And it's also somewhat similar to what AA did to build the 2015 team.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 08-01-2019 at 12:54 AM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #1150
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a ton of pressure on Sanchez now. Maybe get some spot starts, or be the 5th starter and pitch some long relief in the playoffs.

Next year with Cole likely gone he will have a spot in the rotation waiting for him and I’m excited to see what the Astros coaches can do with him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #1151
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
?

The Stroman trade is starting to sit fine with me as well. After seeing what other pitchers got and what pitchers didn't get moved because teams are likely more unwilling than ever to give up premium prospect capital. Greinke didn't get either of the Astro's top two prospects. granted they have a deep system. Shane Greene was one of the top closers on the market, got Joey Wentz and Travis Demeritte, neither of which were in the Braves top 10 prospect pool.

I guess I just see what they are doing as an organization in acquiring a ton of depth with years of control to maximize their financial flexibility so when they are in a position where they are competitive they can capitalize either through free agency or most likely trading for a player with a big contract, and frankly, I kind of like it. And it's also somewhat similar to what AA did to build the 2015 team.
I agree with all of this. The Sanchez deal is the only one I find a little strange and even then I don’t hate it I just find it a bit strange and don’t love it.

Outside of that I too love the direction and where they are going. The talent base in this organization is very high Imo and it’s also well spread throughout the organization. I don’t disagree with the plan even if some of the individual moves have been questionable.

I also think the fact you saw a lot of starters that were on the market not get traded would seem to support the idea that teams aren’t meeting those high prospect prices they use to. I agree the Stroman deal looks just fine now.

Last edited by cross16; 08-01-2019 at 08:11 AM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #1152
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
So you would rather give an asset like Sanchez, one that has shown no sign of improving but is actually regressing, more time to potentially get better but at the same time risk him getting worse/not improve and eventually getting nothing from that asset in terms of a trade all because you think that the return today wasn't to your liking? That's just not how I would do it.
We already practically got nothing as it is, and we had to give up Biagini AND a prospect to do it. So, yeah, if your best deal right now is to give up three assets in exchange for a replacement level outfielder, then you don't make that deal.

Much as I dislike the Stroman trade, I can at least buy the rationale. This deal is indefensible. We didn't add depth with this trade, we subtracted it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #1153
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, it being 3 for 1 is ridiculous. Whether he's struggling or not Sanchez is still the best player in the deal and it should have been Houston adding not the other way around. If they didn't want to do it then no deal. Just like Stroman it's not like they risk losing him for nothing this winter.

All Atkins has done is give off the impression to other teams that he can be taken advantage of. I cringe at what the return for Giles will be.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #1154
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yep, it being 3 for 1 is ridiculous. Whether he's struggling or not Sanchez is still the best player in the deal and it should have been Houston adding not the other way around. If they didn't want to do it then no deal. Just like Stroman it's not like they risk losing him for nothing this winter.

All Atkins has done is give off the impression to other teams that he can be taken advantage of. I cringe at what the return for Giles will be.
It also reeks of the Jays finding ways to reduce their spending, without focusing on the return for their assets.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #1155
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
It also reeks of the Jays finding ways to reduce their spending, without focusing on the return for their assets.
I doubt it, neither pitcher in my view had any intention of re-signing with the Jays.

This unfortunately is how a rebuild is done especially with relief pitchers

i.e. stock pile lots & lots of prospects, build a core.

Then trade and acquire (i.e. like the Astro's) when the team is ready.

Biggest surprise is I would have thought the prospects would be more prominent names.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #1156
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m ok with selling off. The problem is that I have no faith in Atkins or Shapiro to do it. It reminds me a bit of the Feaster era. Even decisions that paid off in the end were tough to buy because you didn’t trust Feaster to make them.

If it was Anthopoulos or Gillick, I’d trust their decision making but I don’t feel the same about the current management team.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #1157
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sanchez is one of the worst starting pitchers in MLB and there is over 300 innings of evidence now. Best player in the deal is quite a stretch.

Maybe Houston can turn him around though. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #1158
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird double post!

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 08-01-2019 at 09:37 AM.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #1159
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Best player in the deal is quite a stretch
Derek Fisher sure the hell isn't. Atleast Sanchez is able to stick in the majors whether it's as a starter or relief.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #1160
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Derek Fisher sure the hell isn't. Atleast Sanchez is able to stick in the majors whether it's as a starter or relief.
Derek Fisher isn't a major leaguer yet. That's the nature of trading for a prospect...albeit one who looks to have stalled the last two seasons while still putting up solid AAA numbers. Worth a gamble for a rebuilding team, especially when you aren't giving up much to get him. Biagini, Sanchez and Stevenson isn't much to give up, let's face it.