Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #301
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
They are probably also going to be looking for a Karlsson replacement.

As a trade idea I think it makes a lot of sense.

If you thought backlund was a defensive monster with frolik....
Oh yeah, Stone is one of the top 5 best defensive forwards in the league. I also think he is probably the most underrated player in the league, he is a beast in every zone.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #302
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They're likely going to be forced to tear it down...and does Stone want to be a part of that?

He's currently an RFA, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm all for going for Stone, but I'd much sooner pay out prospects and futures (yes, the 2019 1st would happily be included for a player like Stone).

2019 1st round pick
Rasmus Andersson

I imagine that pair of assets gets the ball rolling.

Disagree with this approach personally. I don’t think the Flames should consider trading their 1st for anyone beyond their ELC. If they could pull off another Hamilton type trade then yes otherwise we need to recoup picks. Bleeding anther first and then our top prospect for a 26 year old that needs a 7x7 deal to retain will close this window before it opens imo
Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #303
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Tkachuk and Stone would give us two of the best two way wingers in the league... please Brad do what you need to do. Stone is one of the few players I would unload a very good prospect, picks, and a good roster player. He’s a stud
Stop it. The Ottawa Senators are not trading their best forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #304
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Thing is they will be able to pay him once they trade Karlsson. They do have to hit the rising cap floor as with Karlsson they aren’t much over it at present time.
Paying him is fine but, what if he only wants to sign for 1 year and then he walks as a UFA?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #305
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah? you know this how? Did they say so?

It's silly season. Anything can happen. literally anything, and any senator player right now has more cause to want out than anywhere else. You in fact have no clue what they're going to do because they likely don't.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #306
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think they want to, but if you are Stone would you sign a multi year extension to stay in Ottawa?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #307
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Mark Stone is an elite defensively responsible winger who will be an RFA. He also is beginning to be a PPG player that doesn't have much holes in his game. He has the same if not more value than Hamilton.
I don’t see how a 26 year old rfa needing a huge payday is worth more than a 24 year old top pairing Dman.

I am okay trading Hamilton but Stone is not the guy I would do it for. Needs to be a guy with substantial more upside and preferably younger than Dougie
Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #308
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long until the Duchene rumors start? UFA on July 1 2019 and I do not see a scenario where he even considers an extension. If the Sens move Karlsson then they should also shop Duchene.

It would be nice to be an Avs fan knowing they have the Sens pick next summer.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #309
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
This is okay if they are looking for depth forwards but they absolutely need to sign a big name FA or trade for a top 6 winger. If our biggest move is signing Czarnik, I will be pissed
What if Czarnik wins a spot in camp as the top line RW and puts up 50 points while getting paid entry level money? Will you still be pissed then?

The guy has 155 points in 157 AHL games, and was a point per game college player as well. He's got skill and ability, he probably just needs a legit shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #310
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sens are going to be dumpster fire for so long it seems. Melnyk will be bleeding money. Hopefully it forces him to sell and they can eventually regain some semblance of a franchise.

To add to their misery they either forfeit this years first or next years. And while they are picking fourth, it’s reasonable to assume they may be selecting higher next year. So much for lottery protecting picks
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #311
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

We may see some hialrously low attendance numbers in Ottawa next season. The only thing that could possibly provide a bump is if they announce the new arena is a go and some fans want to get locked into seats before the move downtown.

They had brutal attendance last year and then things have absolutely unraveled since and fans were already turning on their owner.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see 12-14k as the new norm with some Carolina style weekday games below 10k.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #312
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
We may see some hialrously low attendance numbers in Ottawa next season. The only thing that could possibly provide a bump is if they announce the new arena is a go and some fans want to get locked into seats before the move downtown.

They had brutal attendance last year and then things have absolutely unraveled since and fans were already turning on their owner.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see 12-14k as the new norm with some Carolina style weekday games below 10k.
Yeah I think it could get ugly.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #313
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
How long until the Duchene rumors start? UFA on July 1 2019 and I do not see a scenario where he even considers an extension. If the Sens move Karlsson then they should also shop Duchene.

It would be nice to be an Avs fan knowing they have the Sens pick next summer.
Duchene is my dream acquisition. I used to think that the Sens would never move him after giving up so much, but after the trade today, I'll still dare to dream.
He's the 2nd highest scorer from his draft class. More than RoR, more than Kane and less than only Tavares. He's criminally underrated.

I believe we truly need a right handed forward in the mix instead of another leftie but would still absolutely love Duchene in a Flames uniform. I can't see it realistically happening though.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #314
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What if Czarnik wins a spot in camp as the top line RW and puts up 50 points while getting paid entry level money? Will you still be pissed then?

The guy has 155 points in 157 AHL games, and was a point per game college player as well. He's got skill and ability, he probably just needs a legit shot.
If that happens, I will gladly eat my words. However, I would rather not try to throw another dart at the board and instead of going for a proven player; especially when we have good trade chips due to our depth at defence. I think going into another season with pretty much the same lineup and a new coach is a recipe for disaster. I am just sick of watching a mediocre product on the ice year after year so I want us to try and swing for a home run. Hopefully Tre delivers..
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #315
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
If that happens, I will gladly eat my words. However, I would rather not try to throw another dart at the board and instead of going for a proven player; especially when we have good trade chips due to our depth at defence. I think going into another season with pretty much the same lineup and a new coach is a recipe for disaster. I am just sick of watching a mediocre product on the ice year after year so I want us to try and swing for a home run. Hopefully Tre delivers..
Yeah, but other than Tavares all you've got when it comes to "impact forwards" in free agency, is a bunch of 30 year olds looking for 6 x $6 million contracts at a minimum. That is also a recipe for disaster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #316
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, but other than Tavares all you've got when it comes to "impact forwards" in free agency, is a bunch of 30 year olds looking for 6 x $6 million contracts at a minimum. That is also a recipe for disaster.
Situation Normal.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #317
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make trades. Tavares is THE big fish UFA wise, if they. Ant get him they'd better trade for an impact player. This team is the good enough as is, they have to find a way to make it better. ASAP.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #318
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I am just going to go with “GG as head coach was a plague on the depth players of the team” and expect Brodie/Hamonic/Bennett/Brouwer/Frolik/Lazar to be able to get their games back to the level they were at before being forced into his bland and uninspired style of hockey. If all those players can be the players they were in 2015/16 the team should take a big step forward.

Add some progression from Tkachuk and Jankowski and I think playoffs is a pretty safe expectation with a healthy Smith. Just have to hope Peters knows how to get more from the bottom of the lineup than GG did. I might have my head in the sand but teams have made the playoffs and done well with less talent than the Flames have on this roster.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #319
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Keep in mind the same team is likely going to trade Erik freakin’ Karlsson.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to the Senators right now.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #320
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames made the playoffs in 2016/17, their top scorers were: (in order)

Gaudreau
Monahan
Backlund
Hamilton
Tkachuk
Frolik
Giordano
Versteeg
Brodie
Bennett
Ferland

All those players were still here last season, plus we swapped Elliott for Smith and added a full season of Stone and Hamonic.

It's fricking crazy that we missed the playoffs when you think about it.

The 3 biggest factors for missing IMO:

1. Backlund had an off year
2. Monahan got hurt half way through, tried to play through it and eventually was forced to stop
3. No other centers stepped up (Helloooo Bennett)

Jankowski did admirably, but he was a rookie and never going to save this team.

That's why I keep saying the biggest thing this team needs up front is better/more center depth, unless of course we're willing to bet another season on Backlund and Monahan staying healthy and/or Bennett/Jankowski stepping up.

I'm not, that's why I want Tre to go all in on Tavares, if that fails try like hell to trade for one of O'Reilly, Duchene, Hayes, Lindholm, Zibanejad, Johnson, etc.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 06-19-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Closed Thread