Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #101
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That thing shape isn't going to make it into production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I also laughed at how the demonstration of bullet proof glass backfired in way not seen since the 2010 Vancouver Games...
That's how laminated "bullet proof" glass reacts.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #102
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think until there are thousands of these things in a city, you'd feel like a total wanker driving one around.
Ridgeline drivers know how that feels.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #103
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like something out of a New Retro Wave music video.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #104
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That Tesla truck will be popular in Edmonton, they seemed to have copied the Library design.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I uh, hope you buy windshield insurance with that thing around these parts. That windshield looks about 10 feet long.

I'm not sure what to think about that thing, but "awesome" isn't a word that has crossed my mind yet.

Quote:
And after watching this presentation—much of which felt awkward and rather half-baked—I was left wondering one thing: What did I just watch? Is Musk for real, or were we all just taken for a ride?

Even by Tesla standards, this one’s a leap. We’ll see if Musk proves us wrong, I guess. But if you saw that and were left scratching your head, I think it merely means you are still sane.
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-cybertruc...-it-1839984174

...Ya.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-22-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #106
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Tesla truck looks like a prop from a cheap sci-fi movie.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #107
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kind of reminds me of those Boston Dynamics robot dogs.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #108
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Everyone is a critic. It's the thing of the 2000s. Nobody is positive. Everything you do or make people will look for the flaws and ignore the merits. Can they do better? No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't exceed their expectations and make something to conform to some sort of weird perfection ideal that isn't actually attainable.

I'm not saying this truck is the best thing ever, but the reaction to it of looking for all the ways it's terrible is typical of this Google Review/Yelp era we're in and it drives me insane. If you don't get to this unachievable level of perfection, you have utterly failed to deliver anything remotely satisfactory. There's no middle ground.

Whether it's a hamburger, headphones or a vehicle, everyone is an expert on all the ways in which everything is deficient. At the end of the day we have a super funky looking truck that is something different from the boring old conservative sameness of Ford/Chev/Dodge. But it's fugly durr. Okay, well don't buy it, but can you honestly say the roads wouldn't be more interesting for its presence? I'm not even the kind of guy that likes something just for being different. This is different and neat and steam punk and old school futuristic and an honest attempt at re-imagining what a truck can look and function like.

TBH, I'd be a little self conscious driving this, but I also would be self conscious driving a Lamborghini. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate them, though, and I do like seeing them on the road.

Tesla has been fantastic at shaking up what had become a super stagnant industry. Stupidly fast vehicles (they don't get near enough credit for how incredibly fast their cars accelerate), self driving (this truck has that - it's bonkers nobody is giving them credit for just how awesome that feature alone is...it's a game changer for a commuter or somebody who does a lot of highway driving), and all sorts of other fun/cool tech. This truck is going to force other automakers to make better vehicles that benefit us all. If you are a car person and enjoy vehicles, you want a company like Tesla pushing the boundaries and complacency of the industry. But durr it's ugly.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #109
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lambos are nice looking, this looks like a 9 year old drew it in math class.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://kotaku.com/the-internet-reac...s-l-1839993378

The internet always has great reactions. Go Internet.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #111
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can that truck actually tow or is it a grocery wagon?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #112
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's ugly as hell and awesome at the same time. It looks like something that AMC would have made if they were still around: a cross between a Delorean and an Eagle and then scaled up to truck size.

I'll wait to see more about the practicality and if it can hit the price-point they're talking about, but right now it's definitely going on the list of EVs I'd consider when we replace our vehicle in 3-5 years.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #113
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally, a vehicle that makes a Hummer look humble and demure. This thing looks perfect for jumping sharks in.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #114
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

So who put a $150 deposit down.

underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #115
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It will come with 1, 2, or 3 electric motors, including rear-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. It’ll reach 60 mph in 6.5 seconds, tow up to 7,500 pounds, and carry 3,500 pounds in its base guise. The two-motor variant will reach 60 in 4.5 seconds and tow 10,000 pounds, and the three-motor model will hit 60 in 2.9 seconds and pull 14,000 pounds. Range will vary from 250 to 500 miles. Pricing will range from $39,900 to $69,900. All models will have an adaptive air suspension for self-leveling and ride-height adjustment, up to 16 inches.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #116
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's great, but look at it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious about that base level pricing of $39,00. That's about what the base model 3 costs. But surly this must have a bigger battery, bigger motor, and use a lot more material. I assume they are just hoping by the time it is released costs have come down?

I'd love a small truck, S10 size, electric. That's the dream. Maybe I'll just have to convert mine one day...
Old 11-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #118
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not for everybody that's for sure. I'm considering it. I'm waiting to see what it would cost for the options I'd want in it. How much for AWD and a range of 500 miles. I'm guessing $80k-100k.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #119
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm curious about that base level pricing of $39,00. That's about what the base model 3 costs. But surly this must have a bigger battery, bigger motor, and use a lot more material. I assume they are just hoping by the time it is released costs have come down?

I'd love a small truck, S10 size, electric. That's the dream. Maybe I'll just have to convert mine one day...

This is kind of what I assumed would happen. A Tacoma/colorado sized truck that's an e-truck. I think this is cool, but it's big and that's the part I don't like about it. I like the size of my Tacoma. I had a full size F150 crew with a 6 ft box and it was a pain to park downtown in the winter. I had outside parking and they'd just push the snow to the edges of the lot. Which meant the lot got smaller. I worked eastern hours so no big deal parking, but leaving took a 12 point turn.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #120
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, you would think without an ICE they could package all the equipment into a smaller space and still maintain a full size truck bed while having the overall size of the truck be smaller. It doesn't really look like they achieved that, but I haven't compared dimensions with an F-150.