Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #61
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Soooo, does anyone have a recommendation for someone in Calgary that can either:

a) replace a broken screen on a One+2
or
b) fix a bootloop on a Nexus 5X

I tried the DIY bootloop fixes for the bootloop, but it didn't last long either time - as soon as it was used for more than about 10 minutes, it started to loop again. I borrowed my husband's One+2 and stupidly dropped it today and cracked the screen. (I dropped my 5X a million and a half times and the screen never broke)

I live central, work in at the University, but can really go anywhere.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #62
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Soooo, does anyone have a recommendation for someone in Calgary that can either:

a) replace a broken screen on a One+2
or
b) fix a bootloop on a Nexus 5X

I tried the DIY bootloop fixes for the bootloop, but it didn't last long either time - as soon as it was used for more than about 10 minutes, it started to loop again. I borrowed my husband's One+2 and stupidly dropped it today and cracked the screen. (I dropped my 5X a million and a half times and the screen never broke)

I live central, work in at the University, but can really go anywhere.
Did you go fastboot push a clean stock system/boot/recovery to it?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #63
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Did you go fastboot push a clean stock system/boot/recovery to it?
Do you mean by going into the bootloader and recovering from there? I could get it into the bootloader, but when I selected "recovery mode", it just would go into loop mode, same as before. The only thing I could do in there was to turn it off.

I'm not terribly tech savvy, I haven't tried anything that requires rooting the phone, but I could give it a shot. (I did take it apart twice and throw a heat gun on the chips, which is how it got brought back to life, albeit temporarily)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #64
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Any recommendations for a complete old phone to new phone transfer app?

I've tried a few over the years, and it seems as though they all lack something, particularly when copying texts...
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #65
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Do you mean by going into the bootloader and recovering from there? I could get it into the bootloader, but when I selected "recovery mode", it just would go into loop mode, same as before. The only thing I could do in there was to turn it off.

I'm not terribly tech savvy, I haven't tried anything that requires rooting the phone, but I could give it a shot. (I did take it apart twice and throw a heat gun on the chips, which is how it got brought back to life, albeit temporarily)
You are going to have to do something like this to fix the bootloop on the 5X. It looks daunting but is fairly easy if you read through it a couple of times and be patient doing it. You are just replacing the kernel (boot image).

https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus...ix-boot-phone/

But essentially the big cores on the 5X are dead. All the fix does is disable the big cores to allow your phone to boot but the performance is not the greatest. It's useable but it will be a pain. I would be looking for a new phone though as the performance is bad. Happened on my 6P and it was lagging as hell on the 4 core fix.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #66
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks! I'll have to decide how much work I want to put into this. Perhaps I'll just accept it as dead and stumble along with my husband's OnePlus2 for now, until the new Pixels come out.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #67
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! I'll have to decide how much work I want to put into this. Perhaps I'll just accept it as dead and stumble along with my husband's OnePlus2 for now, until the new Pixels come out.
Yah I meant actually downloading the system images from Google (or get them from XDA), and using fastboot to push the images to your phone. It doesn't take much time, it does have a slight learning curve, but I've brought many phones back from bootloops doing this.

The alternative is to just get another phone until then. I have a really nice ZTE Axon 7 that would suit you just fine
Old 06-28-2018, 11:16 PM   #68
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure if Google would do anything since it's an older phone, but it might be worth an RMA. In the past, they've been really good for warranty issues, and this is a known issue with LG phones. They might be able to send you a refurbished replacement or something.

Just did a quick search and saw that LG has bumped their warranty from 12 months to 30 months for this issue with the 5X.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #69
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Any recommendations for a complete old phone to new phone transfer app?

I've tried a few over the years, and it seems as though they all lack something, particularly when copying texts...
Google should do most of it itself if you have the backup setup but it doesn't do text messages. I have always rooted and used something like Titanium backup to handle this. There maybe sms backup programs that do not require root on the playstore but I have never really looked.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #70
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Google should do most of it itself if you have the backup setup but it doesn't do text messages. I have always rooted and used something like Titanium backup to handle this. There maybe sms backup programs that do not require root on the playstore but I have never really looked.
Google restores my text messages after my wipes/restore

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #71
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Google restores my text messages after my wipes/restore
Really? I'll check it out, maybe I do not have a setting on or something. I do a wipe once or twice a week.

Ah. I rarely setup a phone from a google back up, so use to titanium. Definitely will give this a go.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #72
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been limping along with my HTC One M8 for too long now, and finally bit the bullet and ordered a Oneplus 6. I'm very excited to actually have a phone that works properly again.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #73
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I have been limping along with my HTC One M8 for too long now, and finally bit the bullet and ordered a Oneplus 6. I'm very excited to actually have a phone that works properly again.
Coincidentally I just put LineageOS 15.1 on my old One M8 this week. It gave it some new life if you’re willing to root.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #74
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
You're gonna love it! The camera is honestly phenomenal, despite what you've read. I had people commenting on my photo quality on my Axon 7 even, and this phone is on another plane altogether. The 4k 60fps shooting is really great, the slow motion works amazing and looks amazing. The screen is gorgeous and huge, the dash charging is so convenient I never plug my phone in overnight anymore, just 20-30 minutes here and there to pop it back to 80-90% and I'm good til the next day.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #75
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed something interesting about Galaxy phones since the S7. The image colour has a slight edge to being green instead of pure white in the white areas. I thought it was an s8 thing but I went to the mall and saw the s9's were better but def still had a slight green tinge. I then walked over to the P20 pro and saw a very stark difference; the white was actually white.

It's a small thing but sort of drives me nuts about the S8 and S9. I may actually change manufactures over it as screen display and quality of colour are by far my #1 on a phone check list.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #76
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #77
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Picked up the Essential phone on the Prime deal. $325 for the phone and ear buds, not too bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 01:24 AM   #78
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For any Essential phone owners the 360 camera just went on sale for $19usd.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #79
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

My trusty OnePlus One was on it's last legs so it was finally time for an upgrade. I was going to go with the OnePlus 6, but then found out my new job would pay for one if it was purchased through Bell. So that narrowed my options a bit, but decided on the LG G7. I don't like the Samsung bloat on the Galaxy phones and wanted a headphone jack, so that pretty much left the G7 as the only option. Pretty happy with it though, LG's Android skin is way less intrusive than Samsung's, and with the LCD screen I don't get some of the weird tinting I've seen on the OLED screens. I probably wouldn't buy this phone outright if had to get it on my own though, LG would be smart to lower the price by a couple hundred bucks to give them an edge against Samsung and Google since they're still an underdog
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #80
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
For any Essential phone owners the 360 camera just went on sale for $19usd.
FedEx International Economy (2 business days) - $29.31 USD
FedEx International Priority (1 business day) - $33.74 USD
- Based on Ontario postal code.

Total would come out to $50.78 USD + exchange rate.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote