Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #821
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I was thinking of maybe a video card but my Synology NAS has had to be hard rebooted a few times recently, and it's pretty old so I should probably replace that instead.

Any suggestions? My usage is primarily as just a network drive, backup target, Timemachine target, and offsite backup to Amazon (currently).

Maybe for security cameras in the future, but don't really do any transcoding or media serving.

Qnap and Synology seem to be the go-to ones.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #822
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I was thinking of maybe a video card but my Synology NAS has had to be hard rebooted a few times recently, and it's pretty old so I should probably replace that instead.

Any suggestions? My usage is primarily as just a network drive, backup target, Timemachine target, and offsite backup to Amazon (currently).

Maybe for security cameras in the future, but don't really do any transcoding or media serving.

Qnap and Synology seem to be the go-to ones.
I have a Synology too and I love it, but if I were to replace it I’d probably build something and run FreeNAS. I have an my old i7 that needs a new mobo but otherwise would work great. The Synology is small and quiet but I think they’re underpowered for what they charge.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #823
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

One of the reasons I picked a NAS vs just a dedicated server PC was with how power efficient they are. I'll have to check to see how well FreeNAS does with power stuff; does it go to sleep, WoL, spin the drives down, all that stuff.

EDIT: Hm.. build with something like this: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16813183013
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #824
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
One of the reasons I picked a NAS vs just a dedicated server PC was with how power efficient they are. I'll have to check to see how well FreeNAS does with power stuff; does it go to sleep, WoL, spin the drives down, all that stuff.

EDIT: Hm.. build with something like this: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16813183013
If you are looking at building your own NAS, Brian Moses is a good resource. He builds a NAS from scratch every year, then gives it away. Along the way, he goes into good detail on how he chooses components, lessons learned during the actual assembly, configuration, and burn in, and even does a budget NAS build (his most recent NAS was around $3k, his budget build was around $650). I find each year's NAS build is worth reading, even for interests sake.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #825
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

2080/2080 Ti reviews are flooding in since the NDA was lifted. Looks like it's pretty much as all the leaks showed; the 2080 is about 30%-50% faster than a 1080, 5%-10% faster than a 1080 Ti (not including DLSS) and the 2080 Ti stomps on the Titan V, and is about 30% faster than a 2080.

Feel a twinge of regret not picking up the Ti, but that price differential is still a bit extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #826
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
2080/2080 Ti reviews are flooding in since the NDA was lifted. Looks like it's pretty much as all the leaks showed; the 2080 is about 30%-50% faster than a 1080, 5%-10% faster than a 1080 Ti (not including DLSS) and the 2080 Ti stomps on the Titan V, and is about 30% faster than a 2080.

Feel a twinge of regret not picking up the Ti, but that price differential is still a bit extreme.

EDIT: Wait, it does not seem that bad as just 5-10%. If anything, I'd be way more disappointed in the 2080 - you almost have to go Ti or don't bother at all.

Last edited by chemgear; 09-19-2018 at 10:29 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #827
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

BTW, Newegg was hacked. US for sure, Canada probably too?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #828
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

EDIT: Wait, it does not seem that bad as just 5-10%. If anything, I'd be way more disappointed in the 2080 - you almost have to go Ti or don't bother at all.

As I said, yeah the 2080 (not including AI cores or RTX) is a slightly better 1080 Ti. The 2080 Ti is a ridiculous monster but is also ~$550 CDN more than the 2080/$700 more than a 1080 Ti.

That said, once NVLink starts getting tested with reviews I might feel better, since I wouldn't mind getting back into a dual card setup.

EDIT: Also, why is that chart comparing the 2080 to an OCd 1080 Ti rather than a stock, or 2080 OCd? The OCd 2080 does in fact beat the 1080 Ti OCd in most games other than GTAV for some reason.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 09-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #829
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the original link it came from, I think they mention/acknowledge the point in the text.

https://www.overclockers.com/nvidia-...080-ti-review/

But yeah, I wouldn't buy a 2080 at all with the higher price versus to a 1080 Ti. the 2080 Ti is of course going to be higher but at least there is some performance bump.

Depends how much money you have if it is worth it I guess.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #830
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be benchmarking all night (it's on a FedEx truck as we speak) so I'll be able to offer some direct comparables to a 1080 tonight, but obviously a bigger performance bump would have been ideal.

C'est la vie.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #831
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it came on time, chalk one up for FedEx.

This thing is solid. Like, even the NVLink connector cover (which is usually just a piece of rubber on most units) is a solid machined piece of aluminum and PVC that fits seamlessly with the shroud. NVIDIA put some incredible detail work into this card and it shows in spades. Can't wait to put it through the paces later...stupid long work day.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #832
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Review Roundups:

https://videocardz.com/78054/nvidia-...review-roundup
Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #833
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So far the main conclusion I've drawn from my various benchmark sources is that when it comes to DX12 and Vulkan the 2080 begins to pull ahead of a 1080ti, but in DX11 the 1080ti still pulls ahead in some scenarios.

All of this is going to flip once the dynamic scaling gets implemented in a major way, which will set it well and above the 1080ti.

The 2080ti is a titan card branded as a ti, with the price to match so its not really in the same conversation.

Will I be able to resist the 2080ti Strix.....I just don't know haha
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #834
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

An RTX launch with zero games that use ray tracing. And when they do come out watch the framerates take a big dip with ray tracing on.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #835
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm honestly more interested to see how DLSS performs.

Ray-tracing looks like it will impact performance similarly to how Ambient Occlusion did when it was first introduced, though I don't remember so many nerds getting their nuts twisted up over that.

First benching report: because I actually wanted to play games, I limited day 1 benching to 1440p and non-OC. I'll likely OC it tonight and play around in 4K on the weekend.

In synthetics, I saw a jump in Timespy of about 33.5%, which is...okay. Furmark saw a jump of 42%, and it ran about 4c cooler on the burn-in, which is cool because of the vapor chamber design even with a higher TDP.

Realtime, FFIV ran about 58 FPS with everything turned on crazy town but no DLSS. Thats about a 35% increase over the 1080 OCd. BF1 and RE7 w/ HDR saw similar gains at around 39%, and hilariously, I saw huge gains in WoW (which utilizes DX12), around 41%.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #836
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm usually in for some pretty silly stuff but not this as it is priced.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #837
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Linus Tech Tips with his review of the new 2080 cards.

flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #838
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Help me upgrade my computer?

Hi CP,

Not sure if I should use this thread or start a new one.
My PC is over 10 years old, and besides a new video card a couple of years ago, it hasn't changed at all.
I am finally noticing some performance issues, and I have a few games on my Steam Library I can't actually run at an minimum level requirement.
I'm not a heavy gamer anymore, not planning to use my PC for VR or running multiple monitors. However I would like to run games like GTA 5, Skyrim Special edition, and Deus Ex Mankind Divided (Big fan of the series, can't play it) at least at an average level of performance.
At this point I'm not sure if I should pick up some new components or I should just get a new machine all together. Some of the video cards you guys were reviewing surprised me how much they are, so cost is definitively something I'm hoping to keep down too.

Current specs:
  • Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan
  • Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty
  • Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 I7 Triple Channel Memory Kit
  • Intel Core I7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
  • AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
  • ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard

I'm thinking at a minimum, I'll need more RAM and a better video card though, I'm not sure if I also need to upgrade processor and motherboard to support those things.
I think it might be cheaper to get the parts myself and get someone to put it together for me than to get a complete system from a store?

Anyways, I'm looking for CP's advice

LChoy
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #839
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You don’t need to spend $1000+ on a video card to meet your expectations. A $400 GTX1060 would be a big improvement and be fairly future-proof, although you will be bottlenecked by your CPU, so I’d suggest a system upgrade if you can swing it.

I wouldn’t bother upgrading your RAM alone. It wouldn’t be worth it. Adding an SSD would be a better choice and will make a big difference in loading speed.

If you decide to upgrade you can probably reuse the case, power supply and hard drive. I’m willing to help or you can give pcpartpicker.com a shot.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #840
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeking advice. My SSHD is about to crap out on my ROG gl702. Should I just spend the dough and get a good 2.5 inch SSD? I mean I can get the same SSHD for about $50 but this seagate has crapped out in under a year. Brand recommendations are welcome. I was actually looking at that Samsung 1tb Pro but the $250 EVO model would be an upgrade on what I already have I think. And I may want to upgrade the m.2 SSD which is my boot drive to a larger capacity.

Also, is it worth spending the $400 or so on upgrading my ram from 16gb to 32? IIRC I have to buy a pair of 1x16 so they match. Would be nice if I was wrong. The asus manual says I should be running 2133 MHZ so-dimm but it came with 2400MHZ. Confusing.

Anyways. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-23-2018 at 10:24 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote