Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #61
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Keon Raymond is a game changer. Rich Stubler doesn't get enough credit. Nor does Calgary's defense.

Cornish might ask for a trade once he's back for a few games and this game plan continues. The Stamps didn't run the ball enough when their O-Line was at 100% either. Jon Cornish is a game changer. Use him.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #62
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
He's not hurt and the o-line is doing a fine job. DD needs to stop ignoring the run game.
Tonights line..

18 rushing attempts

54 rushing yards

3.0 yards per attempt

The O-line is not doing a "fine job", they aren't even doing a mediocre job.

DD is smart enough to know when its time to cut bait, which he did at the right time. That's the reason that run was there late for the TD, it was sold as a pass from start to finish and a great cutback run worked.

there is a LOT of work to be done up front.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #63
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keon Raymond is and has been for years one of the biggest big play guys in the league. I have no idea how he doesn't get more respect by fans across the league, including Calgary. Brendan Smith is seriously underrated too.

Looked like Eric Fraser was playing safety again for a bit back there. Leaky safety play, otherwise the Stamps D played awesome.

Jennings looks like he could be a good one eventually. Certainly wasn't afraid to try the long ball
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #64
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Tonights line..

18 rushing attempts

54 rushing yards

3.0 yards per attempt

The O-line is not doing a "fine job", they aren't even doing a mediocre job.

DD is smart enough to know when its time to cut bait, which he did at the right time. That's the reason that run was there late for the TD, it was sold as a pass from start to finish and a great cutback run worked.

there is a LOT of work to be done up front.
Sure, but 7 attempts at half means the plan was changed. The Eskimos beat Calgary by defense and zone blitzes. If Cornish is rusty he needs to get the ball more, period. He's the best RB in the CFL, you have to use him in the game plan. He's not a "decoy" every game.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #65
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Keon Raymond is and has been for years one of the biggest big play guys in the league. I have no idea how he doesn't get more respect by fans across the league, including Calgary. Brendan Smith is seriously underrated too.

Looked like Eric Fraser was playing safety again for a bit back there. Leaky safety play, otherwise the Stamps D played awesome.

Jennings looks like he could be a good one eventually. Certainly wasn't afraid to try the long ball
I totally agree about Keon Raymond and Brandon Smith's assessment. They are both leaders and smart defenders. Last week it is noticeable that Smith wasn't playing and as much as I think Ciante Evans is a good DB, he is nowhere as good as Smith. Joe Burnett is turning out to be a very good pickup by Huff in the offseason too.

Jennings played like James Franklin did in relief of Matt Nicholls vs Toronto. Another potential good young QB in CFL and it seems like they are starting to pop up lately. Trevor Harris of Toronto, Rakeem Cato of Montreal, Brett Smith of Saskatchewan, James Franklin of Edmonton, Robert Mavre of Winnipeg and now Jennings in BC. They might not be as good right now and still makes some nistakes but they will learn and we might see some of them starting in their current team or somewhere else next season.

Anyways it is a good win for the Stamps. I thought they played well in the first half but sort of changed once Jennings came in. All 3 (Offense, Defense and Special Team) sort of went to sleep and needed a wake up call in the 4th. Slaughter and the special team were awful until after Rainey scored that punt return TD. When Slaughter returned that kickoff return for a good chunk I was actually looking if there's any penalty flag around. I am glad there was nothing otherwise I would be cursing some more. This is probably the worst I've seen the Special Team played in the last few season. They gave up TDs on both kickoff and punt returns plus the constant penalties drives me nuts. If Stamps is not winning this season, I would think Mark Killam will not have a job with the Stamps after this season.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #66
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I totally agree about Keon Raymond and Brandon Smith's assessment. They are both leaders and smart defenders. Last week it is noticeable that Smith wasn't playing and as much as I think Ciante Evans is a good DB, he is nowhere as good as Smith. Joe Burnett is turning out to be a very good pickup by Huff in the offseason too.

Jennings played like James Franklin did in relief of Matt Nicholls vs Toronto. Another potential good young QB in CFL and it seems like they are starting to pop up lately. Trevor Harris of Toronto, Rakeem Cato of Montreal, Brett Smith of Saskatchewan, James Franklin of Edmonton, Robert Mavre of Winnipeg and now Jennings in BC. They might not be as good right now and still makes some nistakes but they will learn and we might see some of them starting in their current team or somewhere else next season.

Anyways it is a good win for the Stamps. I thought they played well in the first half but sort of changed once Jennings came in. All 3 (Offense, Defense and Special Team) sort of went to sleep and needed a wake up call in the 4th. Slaughter and the special team were awful until after Rainey scored that punt return TD. When Slaughter returned that kickoff return for a good chunk I was actually looking if there's any penalty flag around. I am glad there was nothing otherwise I would be cursing some more. This is probably the worst I've seen the Special Team played in the last few season. They gave up TDs on both kickoff and punt returns plus the constant penalties drives me nuts. If Stamps is not winning this season, I would think Mark Killam will not have a job with the Stamps after this season.
hahaha well played!
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #67
PrettyBoyFlizzy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Once Eric Rogers goes to the NFL, this team is in shambles.

We will have to win 17-14 games, because other then D and Eric Rogers making plays no one else does.

BLM has been nothing close to the player he was last season, hes been terrible. Some of its oline and a lot of it is hes just off.
PrettyBoyFlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #68
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoyFlizzy View Post
BLM has been nothing close to the player he was last season, hes been terrible. Some of its oline and a lot of it is hes just off.
21 completions on 34 attempts for 268 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Yeah, terrible is the first word that comes to mind.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #69
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We will have to win 17-14 games, because other then D and Eric Rogers making plays no one else does.

You do realize Rogers came out of nowhere and this is his first full CFL season. Jeff Fuller has had the case dropsies but that might be a good thing as he might've been looking at NFL next year. Just like Fuller and Rogers and many before them this team will find next guy up.

Win 17-14 games for what? to dominate the league?

BLM has been inconsistent this year, everyone except Rogers has been. OL has been injured which has caused the run game to be non-existent which has put a lot more responsibility on BLM. Yet this team is 9-3. If Cornish can start running like his TD run last night, this will solve basically all the issues.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #70
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
BLM has been inconsistent this year, everyone except Rogers has been. OL has been injured which has caused the run game to be non-existent which has put a lot more responsibility on BLM. Yet this team is 9-3. If Cornish can start running like his TD run last night, this will solve basically all the issues.
Mitchell has been inconsistent this season but there are a number of reasons for that, including injuries to the O-line and receivers. People also forget that he is still young and has a long way to go in developing his game. I think that he had such a historically great season last year that people are forgetting he is really only in his second year as a starter.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #71
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Quote:

Hey Pete!
Bye Pete.
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #72
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. I'd wondered where PeteL's negative Stamps posts had gone. Had no idea he'd been banned.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , cornish , lions , stampeders , stamps